From stutterer to preacher: Former BYU safety Derwin Gray is now a pastor, ‘spiritual football coach’

• Kenngo1969 Tooele, UT
    July 9, 2015 3:10 p.m.

Good on you, Pastor Dewey. You keep preachin' The Word. Though it's hard to imagine what might take me there, if I found myself in your neck of the woods, I'd come hear you preach, any time. Sports are great, but only life is life.

• Coolhead Logan, UT
    July 8, 2015 10:26 p.m.

Great story. All the best on his wonderful journey.

• kennewickcoug Alpine, UT
    July 8, 2015 1:46 p.m.

Great article. We need more of these. Thanks Dewey for living your life in a way the makes all of us BYU fans proud. Keep up the good work/word.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    July 8, 2015 12:11 p.m.

Great Story about a non-LDS football player who came to B.Y.U. He never did convert to the Mormon faith but his experiences and being around the LDS culture made a lasting impact on him.

• jcjt728 Daly City, CA
    July 8, 2015 11:38 a.m.

I'll never be mistaken for a BYU fan (my ward members know this), but I enjoyed that.

• Dave Fear Citrus Heights, CA
    July 8, 2015 11:21 a.m.

Great story! Its sure nice to hear about the good things that have come out of the football experience rather than the continuous flow of bad news that the media tends to report all the time...

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    July 8, 2015 9:45 a.m.

Kind of puts the old college football thing into perspective doesn't it? Pastor Gray and other BYU grads can have a far greater impact on the world than pros who are so much into themselves. Keep up the good work Dewey!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 8, 2015 9:18 a.m.

great story - great man. As I recall wasn't it Gray that picked off a pass in the closing seconds of Miami game to beat Miami? I was in the north endzone and I seem to remember Gray making a great play in the closing seconds of that game. Maybe my memory is fading too?

• DonO Draper, UT
    July 8, 2015 9:17 a.m.

What a terrific story, showing God loves and works with His children in many ways. Thanks to Jeff Call, and thanks to the D News for publishing a story showing that attending BYU is not the ultimate way to find the Savior.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    July 8, 2015 9:14 a.m.

So, Pastor D--can we count on a commit from your son?

• Robroy Murray, utah
    July 8, 2015 9:14 a.m.

Loved Dewey Gray. He had to be one of the all-time fasted DBs in the conference. There was only one running back or receiver that Dewey couldn't catch from behind, the great Marshall Faulk. Great story.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    July 8, 2015 7:52 a.m.

Thanks, Jeff, for this article!

• elvisroidutexas Herriman, UT
    July 7, 2015 9:30 p.m.

Gray and Kozlowski were the highlights of the recent football media day.

• BigDaddyCoug SARATOGA SPRINGS, UT
    July 7, 2015 8:31 p.m.

Great story. I loved watching Gray on the field and I'm happy to see he's found something that makes him as happy as football once did. Glad he is a part of the great BYU football heritage. I'm sure he's going to touch many more lives as his continues to unfold.

Best wishes to you Pastor!