New BYU football performance coach Wintrich explains new twists in offseason preparation

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    June 27, 2015 5:54 a.m.

Great move....
    About ten years late.....
    Bronco has a very slow learning curve.

• Proud Ute ,
    June 24, 2015 9:40 a.m.

@Howard S.

My thoughts exactly.

Wondering if the DN Sports Staff have all left for summer vacation leaving a computer to spit out randomly generated "we'll be fantastic this year" stories from the past?

• rlsintx Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 24, 2015 8:18 a.m.

Just win.
    Nothing else will stop the naysayers.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    June 24, 2015 7:38 a.m.

Change the name and change the year and this could be a story about Omer. What we have here is a case of different name different year same old hype.

• intrinsicrewards Salem, VA
    June 23, 2015 10:42 p.m.

Having been a hs coach that has used explosive weighlifting in our program and I am very glad that BYU finally has this. Results will show up next season as it takes about a year to show up on the field. Realize also that the elite programs have been doing this for at least five years and because they have stayed old school this Glad they made the change. is one major reason BYU has been spiraling downward in performance that past few years.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2015 10:18 p.m.

Ilove the pre-season hype and optimism but it can go south fast against teams like the Cornhuskers if the preparation isn't the right stuff. Anyway, until the real deal happens I'm going to bask in pre-season visions of glory. Go Cougs and get the W's this year for a change please!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    June 23, 2015 7:11 p.m.

One on hand this sounds like a great addiion to the Y football staff and conditioning program. On the other hand, shouldn't they have been doing this for years?

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    June 23, 2015 5:13 p.m.

With the Miami Bowl brawl still fresh in our minds, I'm not impressed with having some guy yelling at the players every day and turning them into warriors. I think they need to tone it down quite a bit, when you lead the nation in personal fouls I don't think being an aggressive warrior is the problem. Taking your helmet off and swinging it at the opponent is when it is time to call off the warrior approach.

• blackattack Orem, UT
    June 23, 2015 2:37 p.m.

The physical training was definitely in need of a revamp. It sounds like a good change; however, I know that hype precedes every season, especially from the author.

• Osgrath Cedar Hills - Utah, UT
    June 23, 2015 2:34 p.m.

I was going to inform Cougar Colby that there is no need for paranoia, that nobody was deriding Cougar fans for talking about preseason Heismans or championships, but then some guy from Holladay comes on and justifies Colby's prophylactic work. Sad how easy it is to make a fool of oneself by not reading the preceding comments and just going with the same-old same-old.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    June 23, 2015 1:13 p.m.

I like what Coach Wintrich is doing. I am very optimistic that this will improve our football team. Go Cougs!!

• Old Ricks Coach Rexburg, ID
    June 23, 2015 10:59 a.m.

Traditional Olympic lifting causes a lot of injuries to many athletes. For me, a fused back, fused neck, two rebuilt shoulders and a new hip weren't worth it. Lifting can become very addictive - the heavier you lift, the heavier you want to lift. Too many athletes become 'weight lifters'. Training should make you a better athlete, not a lifter! Coach Wintrich is definitely on the right track.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    June 23, 2015 7:06 a.m.

I hope it pays off. Good luck Cougars. The most important lesson BYU football needs to learn, and I don't see it here, is that football is a team sport and one player who seeks to dominate by taking it all on himself is not the recipe for success. Because when he goes down, the team doesn't have time to reinvent itself. History has shown that a one-player system will result in that player going down.

Go Cougars. Bring it to the field.

• Crispy Trolling Phoenix, AZ
    June 23, 2015 6:56 a.m.

Welcome, Coach Wintrich. I've thought for years that Strength/Conditioning needed an upgrade. I'm excited to see how your approach translates to the field.

Go Cougars!

• stevan madrigal murray, UT
    June 23, 2015 6:46 a.m.

Coach Wintrich gets it. The results on the field will be positive.
    Go Utes!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 23, 2015 6:43 a.m.

That explosive, aggressive drive on every play by every player is what we are looking for in this BYU football team. It will be contagious to all of us fans of the game. I'm looking forward to this season and hope and pray this translates to less injuries on the playing field.

Stay healthy, stay mean, stay focused! Go Cougars!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 23, 2015 6:29 a.m.

I love the drive and motivation to be better. I just hope all the hard work will translate to better outcomes on the field. It's going to be a tough season but I'm expecting a better showing than last year with Taysom and Williams at 100% recovery from their injuries.

Go Cougars!

• CougarColby Fort Benning, GA
    June 23, 2015 6:12 a.m.

Before any haters from the team up north get on here, lets make a couple quick points. Nobody in the article said anything about BYU winning a national championship, going to a New Year's six bowl game, going undefeated, or winning 10+ games.

The article was about the new coach and impact he is making in the strength and conditioning aspect of the team. Will this translate into Ws, I sure hope so.

But before the insecure fan base up north starts trying to find meaning between lines that don't exist, we need to point out what the article is really saying.

On a side note, as an Army Officer, I have worked with a few guys that were at the Citadel when Wintrich was there. They absolutely love him, and felt that he brought a whole new level to their organization's athletic performance. Hopefully it translates to our boys in blue.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    June 23, 2015 4:58 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how this translates on the field. That is all that matters!!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2015 11:37 p.m.

This is huge because I know that no one else in the country is doing any of this stuff.