Former world middleweight champion Gene Fullmer dies at 83

• keith fullmer denver, CO
    May 8, 2015 8:48 a.m.

So sad to see of his passing. He was always such an inspiration to me. My earliest memories of his career were of my father and I out in the truck, listening to the broadcast of his fights, with Dad yelling and jumping up and down at the radio! His biggest fans were the guys down at the shop where he worked. He truley loved the game.
    There were a lot of fighters of his day that were faster, prettier, more talented, and maybe glitzier, but none ever had more "heart". He would not be stopped.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    April 30, 2015 6:13 p.m.

Many years ago, my wife and I ate at Gene Fullmer's restaurant in Midvale. Our daughter was dying with cancer. Family offered to tend so that we could have an hour away from home to regroup. As we entered the restaurant, Gene was there to welcome his "guests". When he saw that we were having a hard time, he pulled up a chair at our table and listened as we told him about our daughter. As other "guests" entered, some of them called out to him. He waved and told them that he would see them in a few minutes. He listened. He lightened our load. He held us as if we were family. He wished us well. He told us that if we needed anything, to just let him know. He didn't know us but he treated us as family. When it was time to pay the bill, there was no charge. He hugged us as we left and wished us well.

A few years later, we moved to South Jordan and met all of the Fullmers. They were all equally kind and generous and thoughtful.

They will be missed.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 29, 2015 12:41 p.m.

A grinder and in most fights the underdog...two reasons why always I pulled for Gene.

On some of the cable stations, old fights are showcased between Basilio, Robinson and Gene.

I remember my Grandpa and Dad taking me to the gym in WJ to watch one of my childhood heroes.

Gene was unusually self-deprecating, gracious and welcoming to all visitors considering the level of stardom he earned as a fighter.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2015 3:08 p.m.

I met Gene Fullmer one time at a golf course. As a child I heard his name a lot and watched some of his fights on TV. Upon meeting him I was immediately impressed by his gentlemanly demeanor and graciousness. I left a better person that day. I wish I could have gotten to know him better! We have lost a real hero and a true role model.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 28, 2015 2:47 p.m.

I remember as a young 6 year old kid old Gene Fullmer the boxing legend. The guy was awesome in his day!!

• Itsnotjustagame Cedar Hills, UT
    April 28, 2015 11:30 a.m.

Gene's toughness and work ethic influenced me so much growing up. And his resolve to live his life with principles made me proud. The world lost one of the true heroes.

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    April 28, 2015 10:37 a.m.

My father's claim to fame was that he was the only person to TKO Gene(LOL)...during a schoolyard fight at Jordan High School, back in the late 40's. Soon after that, they became good friends.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    April 28, 2015 10:31 a.m.

Boxing back in Fullmer's day seemed a lot different - somehow more pristine. Obviously there was corruption in the sport going back to John L. Sullivan, but it did hit us in the face. It was also more socially accepted. Probably the money caused changes in reality and in perception. The fact that the former middle-weight champion of the world, who did not squander his earnings, was doing patio work 15 years after retirement says something. Fighters like Mike Tyson went broke for obvious reasons. I doubt Gene Fullmer ever was a millionaire. But compare what the two figures have given back to their community.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    April 28, 2015 10:16 a.m.

My father was a big boxing fan. As a kid in the late 60's we went to the fights at the fair grounds. Golden Gloves as well. Gene was always there and was always kind and gentle. My father was a big fan. He would always say hello to me. I just remember a strong stout man who was always kind and had a smile for me. He was always intent on watching these kids box too. He got into it. Many will miss this great man. Thanks for some being a great example as well as providing some great memories as well.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2015 10:05 a.m.

The Fullmers did some patio work at parent's home and I spent 3 days watching and listening to them. I was memorized listing to Gene talk about boxing. I was 15 years-old. That was 30 years ago. I've never forgotten it.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    April 28, 2015 8:56 a.m.

The Real Rocky Balboa!!!! And he earned it outright.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 28, 2015 8:14 a.m.

Another great one and connection to my childhood lost.

One of the interesting stories in my wife's family is that her father once defeated Gene Fullmer in an amateur boxing match at the Peach Day's celebration in Brigham City. Her father passed away less than a year ago.

Two great men lost.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    April 28, 2015 7:32 a.m.

The Fullmers have lived full lives and been inspiring to so many in our community. They will be missed!!! This was a nice article to read.

• Tom B Dallas, TX
    April 28, 2015 7:29 a.m.

Another connection to my idyllic childhood where the only neighbor with a TV would drag it outside for Cavalcade of Sports,Friday Night Fights. Most neighborhood men would gather round and the boys looked forward to being w/fathers and other kids. It was my initial experience of that which bonded me to my father. RIP, Gene Fullmer.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    April 28, 2015 5:20 a.m.

I had the privilege of meeting Gene Fullmer when I was a kid. He had a lot of courage
    when he boxed. The friendship he had with his brothers lasted a lifetime.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    April 28, 2015 2:26 a.m.

Gene and his brothers were a great asset to the community. They will be missed.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2015 12:40 a.m.

This man gave us a lot of great memories. I especially remember his bouts with Sugar Ray Robinson and how gracious Fullmer was. Oh well, we are all mortal.