Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt Lake City

• swarming beehive SANTA CLARA, CA
    Aug. 2, 2015 8:37 a.m.

I have never seen the BoM musical. I've been curious because I like comedy, but every time I consider it, I'm reminded of a couple of things:
    1. All of my wife's non-LDS friends who have seen it tell her not to go because it's offensive. (My friends don't say anything so that's probably a reflection of her purity.)
    2. I keep thinking of the 13th article of [my] faith and then think of so many better things to do with my time and money. I would definitely see this other play if I were in Utah.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Aug. 2, 2015 8:04 a.m.

I cannot and will not subject myself to trashy language even once..... "if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy we seek after these things".

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Aug. 2, 2015 8:01 a.m.

@Utes fan
    Healthy sports rivalry aside (yes, those of us who are a bit more mature can do the unthinkable)my guess is when it comes to things of true value will find us on the same side.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    Aug. 2, 2015 6:05 a.m.

@eastcoastcoug: "Never in a million years would people pay money to see Blacks, Jews or LGBT people treated this way. If you despise ethnic jokes but think this is funny..."

Let me see... The Bird Cage with Robin Williams and Nathon Lane is a satirical romp about gay men who cross dress and is beloved. "To Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything" is another bit of satire poking at transwoman that takes a serious turn into domestic abuse. The TV show "Will and Grace" had super stereotypical characters and situations and crossed into satire regularly and was loved by the gay community.

Mel Brooks made a career of satirizing everything and everyone, including Jews and blacks and gays and people are too busy laughing to be offended.

• Blake19868976 Seattle, WA
    July 30, 2015 1:39 p.m.

“My original purpose was to share the Book of Mormon and encourage people to read it"...

...but then I just decided to roll with the part where god tells a guy to kill another guy for a book.

• MormonForever St George, UT
    July 29, 2015 8:23 p.m.

I am surprised at how many so called"mormons" have said that they have seen the BOM musical. The Prophet has taught that we should not go to rated "R" movies and stay away from other equivalent media. This play is reported to have 40+ F-bombs in it so I think it could be easily rated a "R" or worse. If you follow the Prophet and other leaders of the church why in the world would you subject yourself to this musical.

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    July 29, 2015 5:14 p.m.

@1978

"I wonder if somebody created a musical called "Proposition 8 - The Musical" how it would be received. Especially if it treated the LGBT community the same way that the Book of Mormon the musical portrays Mormons...The hypocrisy of the left never ceases to amaze me."

"Left" is taking on more and more meanings every day. Now, apparently, it's anyone who finds satire amusing? (last time I checked there are people on the right who also think mormonism is funny)

As for the hypocrisy bit, it's kind of horrifying to me when the "right" (for the sake of argument) doesn't comprehend the difference between writing a musical that pokes fun at a certain group, and trying to pass legislation that actively bans another group from certain activity. Those are not even remotely comparable activities. Nothing is stopping a religious person from writing a satire about homosexuals. And if they can make it funny, more power to them.

That's what a lot of the DN crowd don't get about the BofM musical; it's not so much a hit because people unanimously hate mormons. It's a hit because its writers are good at what they do.

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    July 29, 2015 2:48 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug

Parker and Stone have lampooned all of those groups, and many others. They didn't just crawl out of from under a rock with the BofM musical. They've been at it for about twenty years, and have been raking it in, indicating that people do in fact pay money for that stuff. Sorry to break it to you.

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    July 29, 2015 2:20 p.m.

@ eastcoastcoug: But it isn't disrespectful when a bunch of LDS dress up as nuns in "The Sound of Music" or the comedy musical "Nunsense"? How about "Sister Act"? THat doesn't even touch the dramatic plays that are out there that deal with sacred catholic issues like "Agnes of God" or "Doubt". Get over it. If the LDS church is going to put itself out in the public eye, they are going to have to learn how to put up with satire.

• truth in all its forms henderson, NV
    July 29, 2015 2:14 p.m.

The book is better than the play.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    July 29, 2015 2:09 p.m.

Re: "I don't think the 'book of mormon' musical (yes, I've seen it) treats mormons unfairly at all."

No doubt.

But that says a lot more about you than about Mormons.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2015 1:36 p.m.

I haven not seen the Book of Mormon Musical and probably never will. However, as a Mormon myself, I have no problem with it. The official reaction of the Church itself is perfect. Not only did the Church not complain about the musical, they put ads for free copies of The Book of Mormon in the playbills. I even met someone in New York who joined the Church after seeing the musical, becoming curious, requesting a copy of the Book of Mormon, meeting with the missionaries, and getting baptized. So the Church wisely used the musical, which was meant to make light of our teachings and make fun of us, as a missionary tool. So, no, I do not find it offensive at all. However, there clearly is a double standard (for example, imagine the outrage if there was a "Quron the Musical" that made fun of Muslims, Muhammad, and Allah).

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2015 12:58 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug

You haven't watched a lot of Mel Brooks, Blake Edwards, or Wayan Brothers stuff, have you? If you have cable with Comedy Central check out a couple of episodes of Key and Peel.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 29, 2015 10:21 a.m.

"Never in a million years would people pay money to see Blacks, Jews or LGBT people treated this way." Have you ever seen Blazing Saddles? It's an absolute classic American comedy. Pretty much runs the gambit when it comes to poking fun at people or groups.

• AlanW LAS VEGAS, NV
    April 30, 2015 8:59 a.m.

It is obvious that people who say it is offensive to Mormons have not seen the musical yet. I am an usher at the Smith Center in Las Vegas and have seen the musical over 20 times. I am also Mormon. I never was offended over anything. Mormons are misinformed about it. Yes, there is obscene language, I saw more Catholics offended than Mormons. It is coming back to the Smith Center in September and I can't wait.

• Cookie999 Sandy, UT
    April 26, 2015 2:42 p.m.

Kudos to Sherry Allred for doing something brave and creative! With 14 or 15 million Church members, why couldn't we have 50 musicals or more to share what we have with others? Would love to see her musical, and many, many more!

• lonepeakstudent Alpine, UT
    April 25, 2015 2:30 a.m.

I haven't seen the Book of Mormon musical, but it does have some very funny songs...

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 24, 2015 6:32 a.m.

ciaobello-- Don't tell me you're speaking for a group of people you're not a part of. I don't speak for other religions. Do you?

Well--in a word, yes, I am and I do. I speak of many groups I'm not a part of-and if you're truthful, you probably do as well. As far as the Book of Mormon musical goes, I'm speaking for Mormon friends I know who loved it. Also--although I'm not a woman, but I think they're underpaid for equal work. What else? Hmmm---Oh! Almost all Muslims aren't violent terrorists and really not that many Lutherans are guilt ridden. See?---I'm allowed to do that and don't have to be a part of the religion, or the group to do it. It's a little thing called free speech. You can find it right on top of the Bill of Rights.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 23, 2015 11:31 p.m.

I don't think the 'book of mormon' musical (yes, I've seen it) treats mormons unfairly at all. For the most part, it's a work of fiction, but reflecting reality. A treatise on how poorly modern american conservative religion evaluates the condition of the world. And on how absurd the fables of such a modern religion are. Does it mock the church to sing in the musical that the garden of Eden is in Missouri? Not if that is what the church believes. The musical gets humour from the obvious because the obvious is so funny. Any effort to create a deflection from the obvious is internal propaganda.

• ciaobello Concord, CA
    April 23, 2015 3:46 p.m.

Xert: Don't tell me you're speaking for a group of people you're not a part of. I don't speak for other religions. Do you?

• ciaobello Concord, CA
    April 23, 2015 3:42 p.m.

The musical is playing a block away from me. I go on Wednesdays before the matinee and offer Book of Mormon passalong cards. I will not see the performance. I would see the one this article is about and wish I could. Blasphemy, profanity and vulgarity I can do without.

• KDahl Burbank, CA
    April 23, 2015 1:18 p.m.

Doesn't the music and drama of the Hill Cumorah Pageant in Palmyra, NY, pretty much cover the theatrical staging of the Book of Mormon story?

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 23, 2015 11:24 a.m.

@Utes Fan, Perhaps one of the reasons it is not so funny is because one is played out on the theater stage; and the other is played out on the real world's stage. Maybe it would be funny if it didn't hurt so much.

• tomjaverna Grand Junction, CO
    April 23, 2015 11:20 a.m.

Any contact information for auditions?

• Kjirstin Youngberg Mapleton, UT
    April 23, 2015 11:17 a.m.

I haven't seen either musical, but appreciate farce. I've heard the music for the Broadway show, and though it is not what I'd have selected to portray my beliefs, I stand on the side of the brethren who know better than to be outraged over it. I think of it like a martial art. When someone is kicking me, I step aside and allow them to fall. It may take awhile, but the victor will be the one left standing at the end.

Have any of you recently looked at a Reader's Digest from the 1960's? Try reading any of the "jokes" and laughing. By today's standards, they are horrifying.

Times change. Tastes change. Do like Jesus did, and turn the other cheek. Your blood pressure will thank you.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2015 10:03 a.m.

@UT Brit

"At least the BOM musical tries to show murder as evil and abhorrent instead of celebrated like in the story of Nephi."
    -------------

Absolute absurdity.

@eastcoastcoug

"The B of M musical is highly offensive and the term 'disrespectful' doesn't begin to cover it. Never in a million years would people pay money to see Blacks, Jews or LGBT people treated this way. If you despise ethnic jokes but think this is funny..."
    ---------------

It is not very often that Utes and Cougars agree, but your comment couldn't be more true.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2015 10:00 a.m.

Do you think it would win Tony awards? Do you think it would be called a legend? The hypocrisy of the left never ceases to amaze me.

• UT Brit London, England
    April 23, 2015 9:47 a.m.

I dont think she will do quite as well as the Book Of Mormon musical to be honest. At least the BOM musical tries to show murder as evil and abhorrent instead of celebrated like in the story of Nephi.

• Ranch Here, UT
    April 23, 2015 8:48 a.m.

Does this musical contain the murder of Laban too?

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 23, 2015 7:32 a.m.

The Book of Mormon musical is a Broadway legend. It is beloved worldwide and will run for years. People learn from it, laugh at it and are truly entertained by it. Through it, even Mormon people come to know themselves and their church a little better with a song in their heart and belly laughs aplenty to accompany that knowledge. A community theatre project such as this is commendable for the simple effort it takes to stage a musical, but let's not try to compare it to the real thing. It is a different thing altogether. Sort of like comparing apples to elephants. (I just made that up!)

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT