3 new LDS temples to be built in Ivory Coast, Haiti and Thailand, President Monson announces

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    April 6, 2015 7:24 p.m.

I was in the Caribbean on a senior mission and visited Haiti twice in 2000 and 2001. A temple was mentioned as a future possibility, but not this soon. It is due to the dedication of the missionaries and the people of Haiti are very faithful.

• sitichon PROVIDENCE, UT
    April 6, 2015 7:05 p.m.

I too served in the early 80's and am wondering who that new mission pres is and if I know him. The growth was slow back then, but it is flourishing now!

• Kjirstin Youngberg Mapleton, UT
    April 6, 2015 6:17 p.m.

Three well-deserved places for temples. We are especially happy to hear of the Bangkok Temple, and know of the lives it will bless there.

We have fond memories of the people of Thailand, and how we accidentally traded our daughter, then nearly four, for an old elephant. It took a lot of translations to convince the Mahout that even though the elephant was obviously much more valuable, we wanted our daughter back. It didn't help that she was kicking and screaming to stay and swim in the river with the baby elephant she was riding, but things were eventually straightened out once my husband let go of the leash he had been handed to the large elephant. It's one of our favorite family stories which our daughter still remembers well.

There are no more humble and spiritual people than in Thailand, and I know the gospel will flourish and grow there.

• sitichon PROVIDENCE, UT
    April 6, 2015 4:50 p.m.

I am so excited for the people in and near Bangkok. This is certainly going to be a blessing and a boost in missionary effort for not only Thailand but all of southeast Asia. The other temples are great too, I just have a special place in my heart for the Thais.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    April 6, 2015 11:05 a.m.

This is awesome! I loved the story about the young couple (at the beginning)!

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    April 6, 2015 8:59 a.m.

I was half way expecting that this would be another conference were no temples would be announced. I was so thrilled to have been wrong.

I have a cousin, a year younger than myself, who served his mission in Thailand in the early 80's. He was just called to be the new Mission President in Thailand. I haven't talked to him yet, but I'll bet he is thrilled beyond words.

Sometimes I've wondered if the earthquake in Haiti literally helped clear the way for a temple there. I know it was such a devastating thing and would never wish such upon anyone, but sometimes, greater things come after the old things are broken down.

These temples will be such a blessing - like TA1 said - they become a focal point and it will be wonderful in years to come to see what grows up around these edifices as they become the focal point of the communities they will serve.

• TA1 Alexandria, VA
    April 6, 2015 7:31 a.m.

I've seen many posts that say that the money the Church uses for Temples should be used for things like Hospitals especially in countries like Haiti. While it is true that hospitals are important, I think what those who are critical of Temple building gloss over is that a Temple (or other edifice for a members of an other faiths) serves an an anchor for the members and that personally enriches they lives of the members because they have some thing to look to - something that sets them apart and uplifts them. Just a simple thought - not pushing and agenda.

• rford28213 Draper, UT
    April 6, 2015 5:11 a.m.

You are right IDSpud!! Just opened my bank sub-account to save my "baht" for the temple dedication!! My eyes were really "moist" all day yesterday...and at some times really, really moist!! Starting off today the same way!! Maybe we need to have a missionary reunion for all missionaries who have served in Thailand at the next Conference in October!! Thailand has truly been blessed!!

• Dave in AZ Snowflake, AZ
    April 6, 2015 1:34 a.m.

I was thrilled and suprised to find out that there are 18,000 members in Thailand! What growth since I was there in 1975 as a serviceman in the north country. We, two of us, on a small base attended a small "twig" in Lampong. (2 Elders, 2 US service men, 5 members, 3 contacts = twig in my book!) But what a joy to attend each week and receive the emblems of the Sacrament from the Elders. They translated to us the two meetings, then we went for lunch. It was the highlight of the week for me.

It was a refreshing respite each week that I looked forward to. Now they are blessed with a Temple to the Most High God. Great! Just wonderful! I hope Wanna Suwannasut(sp) is still active so she can enjoy this event. God bless the wonderful faithful Thai Saints as they plan now to attend a Temple in their own county!!

• IDSpud Eagle, ID
    April 5, 2015 10:13 p.m.

I'm going to guess that rford28213 is Elder Ford whom I vaguely recall. I served in Thailand from '78 to '80. I was part of the music group that was eventually disbanded some 3 months after I became a member of the group. I was known as Elder Lep San (short nail).

What a joyous time for the members in Thailand!! I am so overjoyed for them. I too never thought such would happen in my lifetime. There wasn't even a ward in all of Thailand back in the late 70's. When I served, the work was so slow, I never expected that even a Stake would be possible during my lifetime. Oh ye (me) of little faith! What a blessing for all of Thailand!

• rford28213 Draper, UT
    April 5, 2015 9:22 p.m.

As an early missionary (1976-1978) in Thailand I truly never thought I would live to hear the day that one of the Lord's Holy Temples would be built in that wonderful land!! The work was so challenging and the people were so beautiful!! Those early converts worked so hard for the only LDS church building in Thailand, the chapel on Soi Asoke!! Virtually every other meeting was held out of the missionary's homes. I was first assigned to the outskirts of Bangkok in a little town of Bangkapi which now has its own ward house!! I remember getting up before 6 AM so we could go "bus stop" proselyting just to get 5 minutes of a father's time so we could meet them in their homes to talk about Family Home Evening and the gospel. When I first got to Thailand, the only printed Book of Mormon was on mimeographed 8 1/2 by 14 inch paper!! In the Thai language, "Thailand" literally means "Land of the Free", and today they truly are!! Thailand is also known as the "Land of Smiles"...and today the members are literally smiling from ear to ear!! Thank you Heavenly Father!!

• Marigold Provo, UT
    April 5, 2015 12:29 p.m.

The temple is everything President Monson said it is. It is The Lord's house on earth--a place of peace, of learning, of order, of making eternal covenants...I'm so happy for the Saints in Ivory Coast, Haiti, and Bangkok, Thailand! A lot of prayer has brought this announcement today.

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    April 5, 2015 11:51 a.m.

In 1994 I deployed to Haiti as we helped Aristide return to power. Due to the ruthlessness of Duvalier’s regime, LDS missionaries had been removed and the church buildings closed. I was shortly thereafter called to be the Servicemen’s Group Leader in what was then the only functioning LDS church in the country.

We met outdoors, and witnessing our activities, a number of Haitians asked if they could join with us. We were not permitted to baptize them, but did enjoy their fellowship with us. One saw us setting apart one of our brethren, and requested that we lay our hands on him as well – so we provided a blessing to him, too.

In 2010, I returned, this time from the Pentagon, leading a planning group following the devastating earthquake. Despair seemed to prevail – though many Haitians were still quite happy as is their nature.

What a joy it was to hear today of the plans to build a Holy Temple in Port-au-Prince – such a change to what existed 2 decades ago. Thank you Elder Andersen for your constant work there!