Jody Genessy: Why I'm going on the inactive list for a month

• River Coug Fort Mohave, AZ
    March 19, 2015 3:46 p.m.

Jody,
    I'm an Arizona Cougar that really only reads the D-News for Cougar news, so I'm not all that familiar with your work, but I do remember reading about your completion of the Iron Man. Anyway, I wish you the very best in your efforts to regain your health. As Brave Robin stated (and I agree with very little he has to say), if you can do an Iron Man, you can do this. One day and one choice at a time. God speed. I promise to read your article when you get back; I look forward to it!

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    March 18, 2015 7:32 p.m.

The Jazz turned it around big time this season, Jody. So will you. We all have every confidence in you. Little by little does wonders. Best of luck.

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 17, 2015 8:51 a.m.

Best of luck, dude. Get better. Live well. Be happy. Whatever, it takes.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    March 17, 2015 8:31 a.m.

Get some sleep, Jody. Lots of it. Combined with moderate exercise.

• EJM Herriman, UT
    March 17, 2015 6:54 a.m.

Get better Jody!

• Maverick West Jordan, UT
    March 16, 2015 8:33 p.m.

Great honest, real, and authentic article! I wish you the best and hope you come away a better person over the next month!

• benny02 slc, ut
    March 16, 2015 7:31 p.m.

Dude you are OK! Love to see truth in media...a rare event these days.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 16, 2015 7:19 p.m.

Jody, I applaud you for now having the courage to step away for a while, and doing it publicly.

Your audience appreciates your talent and we probably don't understand the personal toll it can take to lay it out there. I guess it's like the airlines say, put your own mask on first before you help others. We're pulling for you and admiring you for telling us why.

• rlsintx Saratoga Springs, UT
    March 16, 2015 6:51 p.m.

Be well, above all. Good luck in your efforts.

• TerryHaimes Sturgis, MS
    March 16, 2015 4:51 p.m.

Apple, orange, banana, sweet potato, tomato and all the peppers (hotter the better) and greens you can eat each day. Equivalent of 6 slices of bread a day. Four ounces of meat or fish. Cup of plain active culture yoghurt. Ounce of dark chocolate and/or walnuts. Two eggs or bowl of oatmeal with berries. Turn the above into 6 meals/snacks each day. Exercise a little. Drink green and/or black tea and several glasses/bottles of water. It ain't easy. Follow the above, weight and health problems will go away.

• Derek M West Jordan, UT
    March 16, 2015 4:16 p.m.

Good luck with the time off and we'll be excited to welcome you back! Wishing you all the best!

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 16, 2015 3:12 p.m.

Good luck with your struggles. I applaud you for being proactive. I also have gout and know first hand how painful that can be. Once again good luck and see you in a month.

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    March 16, 2015 2:58 p.m.

P.S. The beard actually looks good. Might give it a trim, but don't shave it off.

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    March 16, 2015 2:57 p.m.

I sat next to you on a plane once to Sacramento. Heck of a nice guy. Glad you are focusing on yourself for a change. It will be worth it. Been there done that.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    March 16, 2015 2:46 p.m.

All the best. Read you in a month.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    March 16, 2015 1:57 p.m.

@JLAY

I agree. Sounds like there are more important issues to address than the beard. Depression is a tough one, but it can be beat. Wishing Jody all the best.

• mr. brightside Layton, UT
    March 16, 2015 12:50 p.m.

We're all behind you Jody. Wishing you nothing but the best.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    March 16, 2015 11:59 a.m.

Jody - Tons of respect for not only what you are doing, but how you are doing it. I love your writing, as many others do as well. We will all be here ready to read what you have to say, when your ready to say it....whenever that is.

Best wishes with this brother!

• JLAY SLC, UT
    March 16, 2015 11:21 a.m.

Your beard looks fine.

Society has an idea that a beard means you are shoddy and unkept. But that just isn't the truth... that is just the message that a century of advertisement to sell us (and women) razors has done.

Keep the beard, fix the inside. They have nothing to do with each other. There are thousands of happy, successfully, healthy and good looking bearded men out there. You can join in.

A beard doesn't mean anything more than that you have a beard. Keep it if you like it. End of story.

• GeePost slc, UT
    March 16, 2015 11:02 a.m.

Good luck brother!
    FYI, a shave and a hair cut will do wonders for your inside as well as your outside...probably drop 10 pounds just doing that!

• VeraLouise Sandy, UT
    March 16, 2015 10:34 a.m.

So many people are rooting for you, Jody! Once you decide to lose the weight, that part isn't as hard as keeping it off once you reach your goal. Weight Watchers has worked for me, and I attend weekly to continue to keep it off. Portion control is the main key as well as exercise. WW offers an understanding support group as well as encouraging leaders. Just do whatever works for you and get healthy. Will miss your informative columns but will look forward to your return with a positive attitude. Go Jody! Go Jazzboys!

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    March 16, 2015 10:02 a.m.

Oh good luck Jody! I followed your earlier weight loss journey with great interest.
    I was so proud of you then, and proud of you now for having the courage to make the change.
    You can do it! Good luck!!

• Brad James Manti, UT
    March 16, 2015 10:01 a.m.

I met you at the 2-A tournament in Richfield once. I know you're a great person so thoughts and prayers with you

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    March 16, 2015 9:18 a.m.

@ricecakes

Knowing how to lose weight and learning how to keep it off are two different things.

Like Jody, my weight yoyoyed up and down with every fad diet I tried, even starvation. It wasn't until I changed my approach to food that things finally clicked.

What was my approach? Eat whatever you want but gradually start to eat less of it. Also try, over time, to reduce your intake of sweet beverages and replace them, as much as possible, with plain old water. The secret here (if there is one) is to not feel deprived. The problem isn't so much the food we eat but the amount we eat. The only drawback to this approach is that it takes time and you don't get the "immediate results" so many people crave.

It's how I've managed to lose 80+ pounds and have kept it off for more than 5 years.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 16, 2015 9:08 a.m.

Good luck. Hope you are able to get everything under control and get back to enjoying good health. I enjoy reading your work.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    March 16, 2015 8:25 a.m.

Godspeed and best wishes.

• ricecakes Murray, UT
    March 16, 2015 7:53 a.m.

I've followed your columns and your weight struggles for several years now. You are a gifted writer. Everybody has advice but I know you already know how to lose weight. Return to your spiritual roots--He is the answer to all of life's problems. I wish you the best.
    Marcia in Murray

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    March 16, 2015 7:45 a.m.

Dude, you did an Ironman. You can come back from this.

• grayagent_ Mannheim, 00
    March 16, 2015 7:03 a.m.

I fully subscribe to atreasure's post, wishing you stamina, good thoughts and a lot of energy for all the things you have to deal with. Living in Germany I kinda lost touch to the game and the Jazz for several reasons since the early 00's but revitalized my interest bit by bit the last years, delighted and excited observing the process from afar and how the pieces are being put together step by step currently. Checking the multiplexed and linked information via b/r, twitter and the deseret news, et cetera has meanwhile become a part of normal everyday life to me. I particularly want to thank you for your contribution to this. Keep up the good work. You are fabulous. ^^

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    March 16, 2015 1:34 a.m.

Jody, your sport's columns are always the first ones I read. And though I'll miss them, I want you to take whatever time you need to improve your health.

Relax, enjoy your family and keep working at dropping the weight. Lord knows it isn't easy, but it can be done. One suggestion, drastic diets and stiff weight loss routines aren't the best way to do it. Slow, steady changes in the amount you eat and what you eat can, over time, make a big difference in your body. It worked for me and I'm certain it will work for you.

• atreasure ogden, UT
    March 15, 2015 11:05 p.m.

Love you, Jody. Thank you for all you do to keep us informed on the Jazz and for being a friend to all of us. Crazy how the internet can bring people together. I'm grateful that you've become a part of my day through twitter and through your great writing. Good luck, my friend. We're all rooting for you.