Former Utah Speaker of the House Becky Lockhart dies from rare brain disease

• netsrik Draper, UT
    Jan. 21, 2015 1:45 p.m.

I loathed her politics, but no one deserves something like this.

Condolences to her family.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 19, 2015 6:16 a.m.

Peace to her and her family, especially her kids.

All things like this do happen for a reason and we are supposed to "confess God's hand in all things". We don't know why, but we must trust there is a why.

• md Cache, UT
    Jan. 18, 2015 7:22 a.m.

@4blade2007
    I recognized the rapid progression from a woman I treated while I was a resident. It is a horrible disease. I am very sorry to hear that it took your wife.

• Maudine SLC, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 10:47 p.m.

My condolences to her family.

@ 4blade2007: There are 3 strains of CJD, only one of them is linked to food (mad cow disease). It is too early to say which form of CJD Becky Lockhart had - tests are being run to make that determination. There is another story in the paper that explains it.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

• 4blade2007 Provo, Utah
    Jan. 17, 2015 8:12 p.m.

@md - in other words - mad cow disease. My wife passed away from this horrible disease in Sept. 2012. Once the symptoms start the disease destroys the brain. My wife started by losing her memory, small motor skills, handwriting, ability to cook, do laundry, dress self. The last month she stopped eating, talking and wore a diaper. She could hear and had her vision and was walking until the last 48 hours until she went into a coma, her organs shut down and that was it. She passed away six months after her first symptoms. - Terrible way to see your loved ones pass away.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 6:48 p.m.

Although I vehemently disagreed with her politics, I am saddened to hear this. My God bless her family.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 5:57 p.m.

I'm so sad. What a terrible loss.
    Life is so fragile!

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 4:56 p.m.

Well that certainly explains a lot.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 4:15 p.m.

Becky Lockhart will be remembered as a citizen-legislator trying to improve things for her fellow citizens, not as a "politician". A very rare person indeed.

She will be missed, and had much more to contribute, and would have been a great Governor, had she decided to run for that office.

Thoughts and prayers for her family on this awful and unexpected loss.

• Jim Cobabe Provo, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 3:36 p.m.

Speaker Lockhart was someone who made a difference through her service. She will be missed.

• Utah_Happyman Orem, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 3:21 p.m.

Politics aside, Prayers and Healing for her Family and Friends...

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 3:06 p.m.

Becky Lockhart is an exceptional person! She represented her district well including giving personal response to phone calls and emails. As Speaker of the House, she was a credit to the State of Utah and she served as a role model (at least to me) that you can get things done by showing respect and kindness to all. To the Lockhart family, thank you, for sharing your wife, mother, daughter, and sister with this great State of Utah and all the citizens therein...Becky accomplished a lot in her short life.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Jan. 17, 2015 2:56 p.m.

Such sad news. Condolences to the Lockhart family.

• md Cache, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 2:45 p.m.

Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease?

• Upson Downs Sandy, UT
    Jan. 17, 2015 2:16 p.m.

Thank you for the time you took away from your Family to try and make Utah a better place to live. Your service is greatly appreciated. Condolences to your Family.