Cantonese-speaking Saints thrilled by historic LDS conference talk in their language

• Trojan Jedi Torrance, CA
    Oct. 7, 2014 11:09 p.m.

@ Sheriw

If you watch conference via the internet on lds.org you can change it to the native language of the speaker and you will hear them speak with english subtitles. I think there is a little different feeling when hearing a person speak in their native language. I couldn't imagine hearing a dub of one of the apostles or the first presidency. Each of their voices are very unique and it's nice to be able to recognize who is speaking. This also goes for those that spoke in this conference in their native language. What a beautiful thing!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Oct. 7, 2014 2:45 p.m.

I'm sure we can find a way to broadcast with a choice of subtitles or voice-over. Personally, I would much rather hear just the speakers in their native languages -- especially Portuguese and Spanish, since I need not translation for them.

In the meantime, I do not wish to leave out those who can't use subtitles.

• 3boyzmom chattanooga, tn
    Oct. 7, 2014 4:14 a.m.

I hope that we get to hear from Elder Wong again, rather than the translator's voice. It was a disappointment to not be able to hear him.

• gacanepa Villa Mercedes, San Luis, Argentina
    Oct. 6, 2014 6:13 p.m.

Just a little correction. Elder Christofferson's initial greeting was "Muy buenos días" ('Very good morning'), and not "Buenos días" ('Good morning').

• SMPA Columbus, OH
    Oct. 6, 2014 4:12 p.m.

I like the voiceover for the immediate broadcast - subtitles leave out young children, the blind, the illiterate, and all the people who are trying to fill out Conference Bingo cards while listening. ;)

Seriously, though, anyone who suffers through live broadcast subtitles knows how much more challenging it is to keep up at full speed even without accounting for translation - as Elder Godoy mentioned, the speakers have to be careful not to go faster than the subtitles are scrolling by. It's also very challenging, incidentally, for a speaker to closely follow Tele-Prompters; you can always spot someone who isn't used to it because they'll start stumbling over their words.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 6, 2014 12:53 p.m.

If you're blind you probably want something other than subtitles.

• Mark C Gilbert, SC
    Oct. 6, 2014 8:42 a.m.

I loved the way it was done. The voice overs only took a few seconds to get used to. The English readers were sincere and conveyed the spirit of the talk to me. I was touched by all the native speaking speakers. Voting for leaving it as it was presented.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Oct. 6, 2014 7:51 a.m.

I listened to it on the radio and expected to hear a translator. But I'm disappointed to find out that people watching his talk also heard it that way. Ohh well, there's always next year.

• Tom Hsueh Brentwood, TN
    Oct. 5, 2014 7:18 p.m.

At first I thought it should've been in subtitles rather than voice-over, but then I remembered that some members are vision-impaired. Others may be listening on the radio. The most important result is that members of the Church in that part of the world got to hear a General Authority speak in their language--a badly-needed reminder that the LDS Church is not an American church but the Lord's Church.

• fullmerdvm United States , OR
    Oct. 5, 2014 2:12 p.m.

Both Elder Wong’s and Elder Gavarret’s conference addresses were very powerful but would have been much more impactful without the voice overs. I hope that we will hear more in the future but next time please just subtitle.

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    Oct. 5, 2014 11:22 a.m.

Apparently not everyone was thrilled.

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Oct. 5, 2014 9:22 a.m.

Those of you are more interested in the over lay than in the message itself. Yes, it was odd but it worked and the spirit was there. You're being selfish and not thinking of the spirit that was there. The Cantonese got to hear it in their native language and we heard it in English just as it was said it would be a couple of weeks ago in the Deseret News. Too many worry more about themselves than the spirit.

• soyprincesa2 North Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 5, 2014 9:18 a.m.

When I heard that General Conference speakers would be able to speak in their native tongue I was thrilled. When Elder Wong spoke my excitement changed from joy to disappointment due to the very distracting English speaking interpreter. I would have preferred to hear the Cantonese language with its nuances and inflections and had the text on the screen to read. To the persons who have the power to change this- PLEASE don't lesson the Universal feel of our General Conference by simultaneously translating. Subtitles please.

• KinCO Fort Collins, CO
    Oct. 5, 2014 8:41 a.m.

I will weigh in on behalf of my family--please, subtitles! We were in the Conference Center when Elder Wong spoke and it was wonderful to hear his voice, even though none of us understand Cantonese. The subtitles were fine--after all, we'll be able to read the talk translated into English in short order anyway. When we heard Elder Gavarret's talk in the afternoon on television, we were so disappointed to have the voiceover and not be able to hear his own voice (especially since several of us do speak his language!). Please do not use voiceovers--subtitles are much better!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 5, 2014 3:32 a.m.

Worldwide General Conference?
    Global?
    More Mormons outside of Utah and the United States than inside it?

All I can say is -- It's about time!
    Amen!

• aubrey1 orem, utah
    Oct. 5, 2014 12:03 a.m.

I would much rather have heard Elder Wong speak his native Cantonese and have subtitles. The voice-over defeated the purpose of allowing the speaker to use his native language. I definitely didn't want to hear another person read his talk.

• Kiyo Washougal, Washington
    Oct. 4, 2014 9:47 p.m.

reply to Sheriw above in comments...I definitely feel the same as you do...perhaps there will be a way to see Cantonese only with English subtitles in replays.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 4, 2014 8:44 p.m.

I'd prefer captions while being able to hear the speaker's voice.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 4, 2014 7:12 p.m.

I''d prefer to hear the speaker in his/her native language and read subtitles. I didn't like the voiceover or dubbing.

Elder Wong's talk was brilliant.

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    Oct. 4, 2014 6:29 p.m.

For me it was very hard to focus on the message because we heard two voices talking at the same time. I think it would be better to hear only the English translation and mute the speaker entirely.

• Anchovey Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2014 5:48 p.m.

Loved reading the article and loved Elder Wong's talk though I heard it through the voice of an interpreter.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 4, 2014 4:51 p.m.

As a returned missionary who served in the Hong Kong mission, it was very exciting to me to listen to a talk in Cantonese! I loved it!

• Sheriw Pullman, WA
    Oct. 4, 2014 4:02 p.m.

I was excited about the announcement about foreign languages being spoken in conference, until I heard it live today on tv and the voice-over on tv just didn't do it justice. Personally, I would prefer to see subtitles instead so we can listen to the emotion and inflections of the speaker's voice. Just wondering if anybody else felt the same way?