BYU volleyball: BYU sweeps Gonzaga in first WCC game

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 26, 2014 10:29 p.m.

Gonzaga was a far better opponent than their previous one. At least Gonzaga didn't give up and coach did more than sit on the bench.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 26, 2014 10:20 p.m.

whoami

"In addition they could "enjoy" the love/hate relations with Wyo. etc."

You're kidding right?

Nobody in their right mind would rather be playing in Laramie, when they could be playing in Malibu.

As far as travel locations, the WCC is far superior to the MWC.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2014 10:15 p.m.

Who am I sir?

The main reason BYU left the MWC was television coverage.

By themselves, BYU was able to negotiate a better contract with ESPN, than the entire MWC was able negotiate with all of their television partners combined.

And that doesn't even include all of the Olympic sports broadcast on BYUtv.

In some sports, particularly women's soccer, the W CC is actually stronger than the MWC.

BYU's women's basketball, soccer, and volleyball teams have all been able to advance deep into the NCAA tournament in the last two or three years.

BYU's men's basketball took a bit of hit in conference competition, but Dave Rose is compensating for that by playing a tougher OOC schedule.

Bottom line, BYU can be just as competitive as an Independent, as they were in the MWC, with much better television coverage for all of their teams.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2014 4:00 p.m.

At first it was laughing at how inept the Utah volleyball team looked compared to BYU, but then I started feeling sorry for them. They clearly didn't belong on the same court together, Utah should have been playing a local high school instead. But seeing the looks on the few ute "fans" faces was pretty funny.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 26, 2014 12:29 p.m.

@MacNasty

My intent was never to say Utah is as good as Washington. I did not intend to "ride coattails".
    With a 10-0 record I thought Utah might be good. (BYU football syndrome - great record vs poor competition) Although I knew they are projected to take 10th(!) place in the PAC-12. I was impressed how thoroughly BYU beat them (similar to 54-10 in football). So I was sincere when I said "BYU is good.".
    The intention of my post was to indirectly say how much BYU would have been better to stay in the MWC than to go independent. IMO I have good BYU fan friends and I feel for them when, in basketball they play the two team (Gonzaga and St. Mary) instead of UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego, etc. And softball (UVU, Bakersfield, Idaho State, etc.) Even football. MVC teams can schedule 4 out-of-conference games so BYU could 1) schedule the better teams they now play and yet (2) play Boise State, Utah State, etc. and have descent games in November. In addition they could "enjoy" the love/hate relations with Wyo. etc. (Love to hate 'em)
    So no riding coattails was intended!

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 26, 2014 11:09 a.m.

Who am I sir?

Washington is a good team. Including Utah, once again, is an attempt to ride coattails.

Take out Utah and insert Wyoming. They at least got two or more votes in the top 25 where as Utah is no where to be seen there.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 26, 2014 8:21 a.m.

@talkinsports

Right, you got it. It is both Washington and Utah. It is not Portland, San Diego, Pacific, Santa Clara, etc.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 26, 2014 6:00 a.m.

whoami

"to be the best you must play the best."

Like #5 ranked, 2013 national semi-finalist Washington, whom BYU played in their home opener, and narrowly lost to in an epic five-set match?

Or would that be Utah, whom BYU crushed in three easy sets?

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 11:13 p.m.

They already have faced some of the best and will again in the NCAA. These ladies got game.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 10:19 p.m.

BYU is good. The WCC is not. I anticipate BYU losing no more than 10 sets in the conference season and going undefeated. However, to be the best you must play the best.