BYU football team gives back to communities — including at prison

• Dave in AZ Snowflake, AZ
    Sept. 26, 2014 1:18 a.m.

Loved the article and the visit to the state prison at Drapper. Keep them going. But on the other hand there is a state prison just down the road in Gunnison. Any possibility of doing one down there, even if it after the season, due to the distance?? Just a thought to help all the other guys in the system. I'm sure the Gunnison guys would enjoy it, too.

• Mkithpen Sandy, UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 6:31 p.m.

Don't be naïve about Bronco. Yes he is a good man, likely a good husband & father, loyal friend, good Home Teacher, keeps his promises and is has one of the greatest defensive minds in the NCAA. But remember, in the BYU system it's in his best interest to do these events including the firesides when traveling. Yes noticeable good has come from these activities, however it's also expected from the head coaches and Bronco fulfils his responsibilities. Do I like Bronco as a motivating coach, not much. Do I think he is looking at his next opportunities personally and professionally, yes. There are many things I don't really care about Bronco, but he is a stand up man which nobody can or could deny. I do appreciate his example of obedience when he could probably weasel out of the task. I absolutely respect him for being the man he is. Go Cougs!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Sept. 25, 2014 4:00 p.m.

Great story. This story illustrates why I like Bronco.

• oilerfan WACO, TX
    Sept. 25, 2014 2:30 p.m.

This has a 2 fold purpose

1 Missionary work

2 SCARE some of his kids into acting right.

• Professional Skepticism McKinney, TX
    Sept. 25, 2014 2:19 p.m.

This article really deserves to be in the NY Times or another major media source. Its sums up what the BYU brand is all about and what this program is striving to do in society. Its about more than Football.
    Bronco says “College football is an amazing sport, an amazing experience. But that just by itself, for me personally, is not enough. The spiritual component has to be part of it to make sense of it. The service part of it has to be there for this whole experience to make sense to me. I hope some of that is trickling through to our staff and players. That is the intent. It becomes a more rich, fulfilling and balanced experience.”

When non-LDS friends, coworkers, etc ask about BYU as an independent and "why this?" and "why that?" I'd like to try to quote that response as best as possible for them. Its an experience that is meant to touch lives, not just win games. Thats what its all about.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 11:04 a.m.

Say what you will about Bronco as a football coach or leader of the football program. Say what you will about his schemes and adjustments, and recruiting, etc. One thing you can say with a certainty is that he is a good man who will lead young men to be better when they leave Provo then when they came. Football is football, but life is forever. Thanks coach for your perspective and example.

I also love hearing how Mahina has changed things up and invited more of the non-LDS kids to attend and participate. Many players not of the LDS faith have decided to attend BYU for it's unique culture and Christian values. Their voice and experiences are refreshing and add to the spirit as much, and sometimes even more than the returned missionaries and members. Keep it up guys.

GO COUGARS!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 9:07 a.m.

Awesome story. Anytime stereotypes are broken down (on both sides), I think charity can exist amongst people. Huge credit goes to Bronco and the BYU players who do this.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 25, 2014 7:35 a.m.

After all else is said and done, the only thing that matters to the Lord is what have we done to help "the least of these" our brethren? It's wonderful to play an exciting game and be a part of any great football tradition but in the eternal scheme of things, the Lord couldn't care less about football for that matter. It's the welfare of all his sons and daughters that matters most to him. I love that Coach Bronco and the team is not just focusing on winning on the football field only.

Go Cougars! Go Utes! Go Aggies!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 6:32 a.m.

There are many correlations to real life in this article. Life is more than football or, in fact, social media, or whatever drives you. We are all here on this earth to support and help each other stay the course in life. We do it in families…brothers and sisters, friends, collegues, neighbors, etc. We are a "band of brothers" (and sisters!) I love articles like this that are uplifting and promote good will.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Sept. 25, 2014 3:37 a.m.

I like this story and appreciate what Bronco is doing and trying to do.

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 3:20 a.m.

The great majority of those felons have a suppressed light within. That encounter with the young men of BYU football can not help but cause an expanse of that light and truly help them in their desire to overcome the difficulties of their lives. Thank you Coach Mendenhall and the members of the Cougar team. Your lights shine bright in you effort.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Sept. 24, 2014 6:59 p.m.

It is good to see these BYU players being such good examples.

I hope the BYU players leave the prison, and think, "I never ever want to live on the other side of the wire..."

I bet the gentlemen on the wrong side of the wire are sincere in their appreciation for the BYU players who gave good advice.