LDS conference talks may be given in native languages

• Reader Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2014 8:56 a.m.

Think of all the saints in the world who have never ever heard the voice of a general authority - all they have heard is the voice of a translator! Now some of them will have the opportunity to hear the actual voice of a general authority! Several apostles speak a second language fluently, and it would be wonderful if they would speak in that language from time to time. I only wish they would also use subtitles on television broadcasts because I would like to hear the voice and language of the speakers. Hurray that now many will be able to "listen to a prophet's voice"!

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2014 12:09 a.m.

As most of their membership now has another language other than English for their 1st language it is understandable why they would do this. Their growth is in 3rd world and other countries, not the U.S.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2014 10:05 a.m.

How great it would be if they would speak the language of wonder and truth in lieu of bouquets of wishes and suppressions.

• brian of ohio Kent, OH
    Sept. 10, 2014 9:19 p.m.

This is amazing to think about. Yet again a fulfillment of prophesy that we will be a peculiar people. This is very very different than most any other community in the world where people are expected to speak english, yet english speakers don't expect to hear other languages.

I hope Uchtdorf speaks German. We know he will give two talks so maybe one in each language? I'll bet they also have a lot of "foreign nonnative" people selected as speakers.

• Nachtmerrie_in_Brugge Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 10, 2014 6:01 p.m.

It's about time! However, this is only a step in the right direction.

In a translation of General Conference, the speaker begins his or her address and we hear the speaker's voice at full volume, then the speaker's voice fades and the interpreter begins translating while the speaker's voice remains in the background. I've always found this annoying, like someone in the back of a chapel carrying on a conversation during Sacrament Meeting.

Of course, this is how the non-English-speaking world has heard Conference for decades, and while I'm sure they're happy to get the proceedings any way they can, people in some countries prefer subtitles to audio translation. They want to hear the speaker's voice even if they don't understand a word. Foreign movies and TV shows in these countries are subtitled, not overdubbed.

This announcement is a huge leap forward, but surely there must be a way for the Church to ditch it‘s one-size-fits-all approach to translation and offer Conference participants everywhere a choice between titles and overdubbing.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Sept. 10, 2014 4:29 p.m.

General Conference --
    Spoken in English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, French, Swahili, or Zulu...

GOD speaks, and listens, and understands them all.

Some of my most spiritual moments and memories,
    were was as a young Mormon Missionary,
    and needing to rely on the "Spirit" to understand.

Raising the bar --
    I think the Lord is expecting that now from everyone.

• utah_native Painesville, Ohio
    Sept. 10, 2014 2:08 p.m.

It would seem that many of the commenters have a problem with reading comprehension. The news release says only in the Conference Center will subtitles be shown on the big screens. Otherwise, all broadcasts normally done in English will get the English translation of the talk. In other words, we will not hear Pres. Uchtdorf in German unless we are watching or listening to conference in Germany (or Austria or Switzerland). Same with someone who gives their talk in some other language. We will not hear them give it in their language, we will get the English translation.

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 12:54 p.m.

I'm okay with this development, though I often listen to Conference on the radio.

• pat1 Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 10:08 a.m.

I hope this happens. It is a great idea, because we are a worldwide church. We can read subtitles if we are hampered (myself included) by speaking ONLY English.

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 9:58 a.m.

How many of us Americans actually sit in front of the TV screen for 6 hours on Saturday and 4 hours on Sunday and "watch" general conference? Americans don't watch, we listen and multi-task. The TV or radio is on, but Dad is in the garage tinkering, Mom is in the kitchen making great stuff, the kids are around the house somewhere playing with toys, the teenagers are laying down with their eyes closed. By presenting 10 minute talks in languages we don't understand, we'll get less out of General Conference. Yeah, its cute to hear returned missionaries bear their 2 minute testimony in a foreign language, listening to entire talks and not understanding one word is another matter.

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 9:46 a.m.

Bravo!! A move that will require most of us to pay a little closer attention. That can only be a GOOD thing. I'm excited for General Conference next month. Just one more indicator that our beloved Prophet communicates with God.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 9:01 a.m.

@ jeanie

It would be awesome at times to hear President Uchtdorf gives his talk in German......;-)

• Karen >^..^< STOCKTON, CA
    Sept. 10, 2014 8:53 a.m.

Fantastic! I'm so excited to hear other languages in Conference! I'm only disappointed that the option to choose subtitles vs. a translated voice will not be available. (I MUCH prefer to HEAR the other language and read the subtitles, as I LOVE hearing other languages.) I speak Spanish and am learning German, and hearing the actual speech helps me to learn better.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 8:00 a.m.

It will help some that don't speak a foreign language understand what it is like to have to read subtitles or learn a foreign language. My dad liked subtitles in English as he was hard of hearing and could read what was being said. There are some benefits to be garnered. It is amazing how the Church has 94 translated languages for people to get the "plain truth" in today's world of instant communication. In Isaiah's time, he may have had that vision but so much has happened in a short life-time that truth moves forward in so many aspects. It is very important to accept changes as it appears that the only thing that is constant besides, truth, is change.

Having worked with people from so many countries that had to speak English for their jobs, it is amazing to know that certain words or phrases don't translate directly for our usage so English was the commonality. The Spirit speaks through the still small voice and the Church is always looking for ways to improve our lives and feeling the Spirit.

• Mike LaAix Prescott, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:59 p.m.

What a great "Win Win decision" for everyone involved. Many around the world will hear the message in their respective language and English speaking listeners will have close captioning! They will no longer have to struggle understanding what the speaker is saying in English.

• wkb1005 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:56 p.m.

This is great. Hearing gospel messages in conference by native speakers in their own language will add a higher level of communication with others that speak that language. Nuances in meaning will not be lost due to the limitations of simultaneous interpretation by non-native speakers or other means of translation. What a blessing to brothers and sisters all around the world!

• sharrona layton, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 7:10 p.m.

RE: Open Minded Mormon, It's about time!

True,You would think with all the foreign languages there that someone could speak or read Greek or Hebrew and translate the Bible correctly?

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Sept. 9, 2014 4:23 p.m.

I am saddened to hear this. It is very disappointing news.
    I feel that we should no longer be strangers and foreigners but fellow citizens. Why accentuate our differences in language?

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Sept. 9, 2014 4:06 p.m.

It's about time!
    It's 2014, not 1854.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is NOT a Utah Mormon religion.

Most members are NOT from Utah,
    Most members are NOT from America.

The sooner the "World-wide" Broadcast of General Conference is broadcast TO the World, and not AT the world -- the Better!

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 2:14 p.m.

After thinking about it talks being in different languages I realized that the spirit teaches regardless of what language the talk is in. Whether or not we understand every word.

• Kelly J Hsinchu, TAIWAN
    Sept. 9, 2014 2:08 p.m.

What fantastic news! I served a mission in The Netherlands and Belgium, and lived with my family in Taiwan recently. I always wished that my friends in those countries could have the chance to hear the talks in their native languages. It's good for English speaking listeners to see what it's like in reverse. I am overjoyed with this announcement and can hardly wait to hear some talks in other languages. I love General Conference weekend!

• rickdoctor Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2014 1:27 p.m.

Finally!

• celeratelife Lethbridge, 00
    Sept. 9, 2014 1:25 p.m.

It's only right that with such large populations outside North America that our culture does not dominate the language of communication anymore. I've enjoyed greater diversity in our leadership and membership as well. As Paul says, the body functions best with all it's parts! We will more closely approach our potential as each part is welcome and given as much agency as possible to exercise their intelligence and creativity within doctrinal parameters.

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 1:19 p.m.

This is awesome. This will bring us much closer together as a worldwide spiritual body. I am daft in that I have never thought of this before. But, now it has been brought to my attention, I think it is long overdue.

• David C. Maness Arlington, VA
    Sept. 9, 2014 1:05 p.m.

Brothers and sisters, stop being confused. According to the information provided, if you only want to listen to conference in English, you will hear it in English. Interpretation will be provided for us if President Uchtdorf is speaking German or Elder Amado is speaking Spanish, or any of the others.

• David C. Maness Arlington, VA
    Sept. 9, 2014 1:01 p.m.

This is a welcome modernization, and I look forward to it. Since conference addresses are already interpreted into many languages, the only difference is the direction of the interpretation. General Conference will now be interpreted more like other international conferences, including meetings at the United Nations.

Please remember that translating and interpreting are two different things, and the terms are not interchangeable. Translation is for the written word; interpretation is speaking.

• logicguy TUCSON, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2014 12:42 p.m.

> One opinion
    I believe all conference talks are written down ahead of time and submitted to the translators so they can have the translations prepared by conference time. Some general authorities already give their talks in multiple languages. When Richard G. Scott is standing at the pulpit delivering his talk in English, Spanish speakers listening on the Spanish audio channel hear Elder Scott giving the same talk in Spanish, which he prerecorded. Same for Portuguese speakers, which Elder Scott also speaks.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2014 12:06 p.m.

Mexican Ute,

While I see the political benefit you speak of, I don't think that is the reason why the church decided to allow it. Image is nice, but is ultimately incidental. In that sense, while the church grows more international naturally, there is no need to manipulate perceptions so as to appear more so, and I don't think that is what the church is doing here.

For me, the reasons are much simpler. At its most basic level, I just think we are all just better at conveying our message in our native tongue. If the tables were turned and I had to give a message in Spanish to a worldwide General Conference, I wouldn't be as articulate as I would if I could speak in my native English. I assume the same for you.

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    Sept. 9, 2014 11:49 a.m.

Another thing to happen off of this being a win-win is now that the people will be MUCH more comfortable explaining themselves in their first language. The Gospel tends to flow out easier for a person speaking their native tongue. And the fact that there are things in languages that are simply untranslatable but describe a strong feeling of love for example rather than the everyday phrase I love you, one might translate, I love you with all of my heart.

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    Sept. 9, 2014 11:39 a.m.

I see nothing but good come out of this.

It's a win-win. Because now that many nations hate America, the fact that there will be authorities talking in other languages, will be a testament to how international the Church really is.

Here in Mexico this is not as much as a problem. But in other South American countries as well as in Europe and Asia the missionaries are confused with the CIA.

• Just saying 7 Indianapolis, IN
    Sept. 9, 2014 11:37 a.m.

Great news. I would rather listen to or read a translation than listen to broken English. We have a wonderful pool of possible translators.... should be some interesting translation requests when it comes to the conference issue. Any Portuguese to Korean translators out there? Korean to Latvian?

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2014 11:26 a.m.

Gonna have to keep your eyes open and not rest them so much. This is terrific, and I have been hoping for this for a long time, wishing these great people could speak from their hearts in their native tongues. Super!!!

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 11:16 a.m.

Well, I am a little worried here. The is the first time I am going to give out of who I am. I am Deaf and Blind. I can't read close captions nor could I hear well. Yep, that is a problem. I do support the lds church and their thoughtful ideas to all languages. Fine, I hate to admit, I will fall asleep during conference for sure. Sorry to all brothers and sisters. We'll see.

• kattawn ,
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:53 a.m.

Gives me a reason to order the Rosetta Stone Portuguese program! People give prayers in other languages in wards, so why not. Yes, it will be an adjustment, but one I am happy to make.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:49 a.m.

Come on, who doesn't love it when a returning missionary bears his / her testimony in their newly acquired language?

Even without understanding a word, the Spirit comes through. Do we believe in the gift of tongues? Yes, we do! Do we believe in the interpretation of tongues? Yes, we do.

I anticipate a heightened sense of the Spirit during Conference, and I look forward to it. I hope they get one of the new Cambodian Stake Presidents to speak...... :-)

We'll still have the subtitles and the English Ensign a month later, but I expect to be taught on multiple levels with this new change.

Woo-hoo, indeed.

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:32 a.m.

Time to start that Spanish class I've been meaning to take.

I'm also looking forward to refreshing my German when Pres. Uchtdorf speaks auf Deutsch.

To those who are apprehensive: just pray for the gift of interpretation of tongues.

Not that I don't love the English language, but some day maybe all the talks will be given in Adamic. How would that be? Or maybe the words of Jesus could be given in Aramaic. That might clear up some of the difficulties that appear in the King James version of the New Testament.

• Paul Timothy Gibbs Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:29 a.m.

I am so happy about this. We American Mormons need the reminder that this is worldwide church and that Heavenly Father loves His children of all cultures.

• Kaladin Northern, CO
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:25 a.m.

@DonO - "May" as in, it is left to the speaker to chose whether they would like to speak their native tongue.
    From time to time I listen to general conference talks in Spanish (my second language). Some of the speakers record their talk in their native or second (Scott) tongue so we can hear them in that language without an interpreter. I also know a little German and would be interested to hear Elder Uchtdorf. This is a great moment to be a member of the Church. So many non-doctrinal changes happening that are making things more accessible to all

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:21 a.m.

DonO,

The word "may" is the correct word. It means that the speakers may (are allowed to) speak in their own native tongue if they wish. There was no "may" before. Saying that hearing other languages "may" happen is correct too. It is not like they know who will choose to speak in their native tongue and who will not, and seeing as how we don't have a list of the conference speakers, we don't know the extent to which we will see this. There is nothing unclear about this.

• generalM Frannie, WY
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:19 a.m.

Another opportunity to really "tune in," which for some will be a test of faith, but with greater tests come greater blessings. What a day and age we live in.

• One opinion west jordan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:16 a.m.

Captions are great - I wish they were available by choice on more church videos for those who are hearing impaired. My husband is, so we always have captions on during conference sessions. Sometimes the words are not translated/typed correctly and cause confusion but basically for hearing impaired it is a great blessing! It would be nice if their talks were prepared before hand so the translators could have it ready to go when the conference starts.

• One opinion west jordan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:12 a.m.

There are several wonderful things about doing this. First would be the ability for better understanding for those whose mother languages are spoken. Another would be the ability for missionaries who have served in other lands to hear conference talks in the language they learned. I think it would be interesting to hear the other language while reading and perhaps pick up some language skills. If we have too hard of a time with the captions, we can always listen later on the internet and also read the Ensign. Sounds like progress!

• DonO Draper, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Conference addresses "may" be given in other languages? Will they or won't they, DNews? Or is your article intended as a weather balloon sent up by your owners to test public opinion? Lots of things "may" happen but generally don't make the news until they actually occur.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:03 a.m.

I am excited by this as well!

I think and I hope that this will inspires Children in the church to grow up and be more interested in languages which is great.

I think a lot of history is lost or misunderstood because stuff gets lost in translation.

• Laurels Sandy, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:03 a.m.

This is great! It will be fun, interesting, and uplifting listening to the talks in different languages. Very exciting!

It did make me wonder how the talks will appear in THE ENSIGN. Will they appear in the language they were given in? Or will they continue to be printed all in English? Although, it is possible to get the translation of all of the General Conference talks in various languages on the lds.org website so most people can read the talks in their own language.

• Happyinlife PROVO, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 10:02 a.m.

How exciting! I am looking forward to the change.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:43 a.m.

I'm not particularly concerned with what this does to enhance the image of the church as more international. Instead, the issue is this: each of us have the best command of our own mother tongue. It is just a fact. I want general authorities that speak in other languages to be able to unload, so to speak. Sometimes I don't get the sense that they are able to express as clearly what they want to say. Sure, by in large, those non-native English speakers have excellent command of the language, and for that I am impressed and grateful. I would just like to hear them let it loose, and rely on gifted translators to transmit meaning.

While I have had the experience of teaching in a foreign language, I am nowhere near as good as I am when I can speak in my own native English, even with the gift of tongues. It makes sense to me that the same is true for them. This is good. Very good.

• CaptainKirk American Fork, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:43 a.m.

I have prayed for this change for years. Wonderful news. This will greatly enhance my conference experience. I hope the same policy applies to prayers.

• small town granny any town, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:38 a.m.

I think it is wonderful. I have always loved those men who are struggling to speak in English. They will be so thankful too.
    How would it work for those who are listening on the radio?

• Big_Bird West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:29 a.m.

Awesome!

• Don Bugg Huntingtown, MD
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:18 a.m.

I think back happily to a talk given by Glenn L. Pace ("Confidence in the Lord") in the April 1985 General Conference, in which he apologized to those who were listening to him through a translator, expressed his wish that he might communicate with them as well as if he were speaking their own language, and looked forward to a time when Saints on the Wasatch Front would have to put on earphones so they could understand what's going on. Looks like that day is here.

• davewhittle Springville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:15 a.m.

Hoorah for Israel! What an inspiring change! Overcoming Babel and Babylon one revelation at a time, line upon line! :-)

President Uchdorf is an outstanding speaker in English - I don't think ANYTHING gets lost in translation, so I hope he continues to speak to the church in General Conference in English.

Whatever he decides, I'm really looking forward to hearing more of our international brethren speaking in their native languages, reminding us that we are truly a worldwide church. What a marvelous work and a wonder we are seeing unfold in our generation!

• APBCPAMBA Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2014 9:03 a.m.

Sounds like a good idea. And while i am sure many challenges have already been faced by people that speak only a non-english language it seems it is now our turn to address these problems:

1 I have young kids that can't read but can't listen. Obviously they don't understand any language but English. So perhaps these foreign tongue talks can become their official conference play time.

2 Those people that are on the road and listen via sattelite radio (which we will be doing this year)

3 Those people who are visually impaired.

• caf Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 8:52 a.m.

Maybe my children will pay attention better now that they may hear some different languages. This is exciting news!

• drs75 APO, AE
    Sept. 9, 2014 8:50 a.m.

I think it's a great idea. I just hope they have the spoken English as well. We have two visually impaired people in our ward.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 8:49 a.m.

I've needed subtitles in ward councils before.

• DallinS Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 8:16 a.m.

It's only fair!

• Hairy Reasoner Springville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 7:41 a.m.

I often listen to general conference on satellite or local radio (depending on where I am) while driving. I hope there is an option to listen to all of the talks in English.

• Doug Zumbrun marion, IN
    Sept. 9, 2014 7:30 a.m.

I love the idea. I served in Germany and would love to hear Pres. Uchtdorf in German. Although I will miss his accent. I always thought it was sad that the Germans had to listen to some other translator when he can speak in their language himself. At one point in time there were more members of the church that spoke Spanish than English. This is a wonderful change.

• Glen Tupling Barrie/ Canada, 00
    Sept. 9, 2014 5:59 a.m.

This will make it so much easier for the speakers and will enhance the spiritual communication to new levels for all of us. I am looking forward to this so much even if it does mean I'll be concentrating on reading a little more.

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Sept. 9, 2014 4:53 a.m.

Fantastic. I think this will help members (and non-members) realize and feel that we truly are a global church and a global family, willing to embrace every aspect of that reality.

"Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God..." Ephesians 2:19

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    Sept. 9, 2014 12:50 a.m.

Dang! I'm going to have to work a little harder to "get it". But it will be worth every bit of effort. Into how many languages can Woohoo be translated?

• chilemamita Vancouver, WA
    Sept. 9, 2014 12:32 a.m.

Wonderful! I wholeheartedly welcome this change!

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Sept. 8, 2014 11:43 p.m.

Fabelhaft! Ausgezeichnet!

This will also help Americans, who served in foreign missions, work on retaining their language skills.

We all need to step out of our comfort zones. That's the only way to grow.

• KellyWSmith Sparks, NV
    Sept. 8, 2014 11:15 p.m.

This will help spread the gospel throughout the world. It will make for a very interesting conference and I look forward to it.

• archibly Provo , UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 11:10 p.m.

This is great news!! I hope Pres. Uchdorf will speak in German and other leaders will take the opportunity to speak in their native languages. It will be good for U.S. Saints to get out of our comfort zones. "The change also provides a wrinkle for Americans accustomed to hearing English in every setting." Exactly, we are usually far too ethnocentric.

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 10:45 p.m.

I hope they're all spoken in English. But I will understand some of the words that are in Spanish, portuguese and german.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 8, 2014 10:39 p.m.

I'm not LDS but I grew up speaking two languages and have done my share of translation work. I remember a businessman who got annoyed with me because he couldn't understand why my translation of his words seemed so much longer that what he said in English. I tried to explain that I was trying to translate his remarks into the local culture as well as the language. Its a concept that is difficult to explain, but I strongly believe that it will mean a great deal to the LDS in other countries to hear some sermons in their native language.

• happy2BGrandma Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 10:28 p.m.

I think this is great! We are an international church and I would like to see the speakers being able to express themselves in their native language.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2014 10:02 p.m.

I think this is a great idea!
    As much as we send our missionaries around the world which blesses them to learn a second language, I have felt for many years that every member of the church should always be studying at least one more language.
    You just never know when it might come in handy. Not to mention the advantages of a second language to go thru life with. Or when you are looking for a job or looking to move up within a company.
    Plus its' a healthy brain exercise!

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 9:59 p.m.

Nice!

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 8, 2014 9:43 p.m.

I think this is very cool!

• CBAX Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 9:41 p.m.

Brilliant! Win! This makes me happy!

• David Mohr Victoria/BC/Canada, 00
    Sept. 8, 2014 9:39 p.m.

While this will be a problem for me, I applaud this roundly. Another great step to truly being an international church.

• jkelly56 NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, TX
    Sept. 8, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Great news. This will be a fun implementation at Conference.

• Kfraser2600 Philippines, 00
    Sept. 8, 2014 9:04 p.m.

#firstworldproblem

Wooohoo for this change! This is great! You can tell how much some of the non-native speakers of English struggle with delivery. I'm so glad the church is embracing its international-ness! Maybe someday even the hymns sung in different countries will include those written and composed by talented local musicians. It's extra special when you sit in a meeting and the languages and expressions are native!

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Sept. 8, 2014 9:02 p.m.

I think this is great. It's high time we Americans celebrate the benefit to non-English speakers of hearing the talks in the native language of the speakers.

Pres. Uchtdorf has sometimes given his own German version of his talks accessible on the Church's archives of Conference talks on the Web. He's way dynamic in Deutsch, even if your German is as limited as mine - well worth having us Americans read the subtitles.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 8, 2014 8:49 p.m.

Wonderful news. We're not the only deer in the forest.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 7:48 p.m.

I hope President Uchtdorf still gives his in English!