Condition of woman who drank toxic tea worse than originally thought

Return To Article
Add a comment
  • Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 18, 2014 2:49 p.m.

    When I worked at Dee's in high school, we kept the cleaning solvents and soaps in an entirely different part of the drive-in than the foot. One of our cleaners looked just line mayonnaise. The only thing we used sugar for was to make root beer in the basement and we used 50LB bags of sugar. No chance of getting those messed up with an industrial cleaner.

    This is a sad situation for the folks involved. Dickie's ought to be taking care of all the medical bills and any other bills associated with this incident for these people. That is the least that they can do.

  • anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 10:20 a.m.

    Mister J

    "Truth be told. I'm having a hard time with 1) how anyone could mistake sugar (granulated or powder) for NaOH ..."

    It is easy to understand when we honestly face the inconvenient fact that a great many restaurants in Utah illegally employ illegal aliens and that these individuals typically are not conversant with the written English language and in many cases not the written Spanish language either.

    Again it is time to be honest and ask the pertinent question: Was this food handler in this country legally, and were they conversant with the written English language?


    Your question regarding whether the lye was transferred to a smaller, unmarked container is a reasonable one. Of course I do not know the answer in this case. What I do know is that when I buy a 35 lb. square bucket of laundry detergent for the laundry room, I never transfer any of it into a smaller container. It always goes directly from that large pail into the washing machine, using a measuring cup. I suspect this is true in most households.

    This is why I personally would be surprised if the lye in the restaurant was in an unmarked vessel.

  • Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 9:52 a.m.

    to Shawnm750

    And there would go at least 90% of the comments on this board... like this one?

    re: LDS Liberal


    Truth be told. I'm having a hard time with 1) how anyone could mistake sugar (granulated or powder) for NaOH & 2) Why is are cleaning materials & baking items so close together?

  • Serenity Manti, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 9:32 a.m.

    What a tragic accident. I hope and pray that lady will make a full recovery.

  • Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 8:38 a.m.

    What we don't know yet is this: was the chemical in the original container or in something else without a label? It's unfortunately commonplace for people to take a large container of anything that has just a little bit left and put the contents in a smaller container to save space or make it easier to handle. And, as was the case in several instances of incorrect drugs administered in hospitals, was there anything about the container and its labeling that would instantly distinguish it from food products? The answers to these may be that it was in the original container with a clear label, but we shouldn't draw conclusions until we have more information. What is obvious is that no one in the food industry wants to harm their customers or hurt the business.

  • Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 16, 2014 6:44 a.m.

    This is just unspeakably sad. Someone was negligent or the chemicals would not have been in the same place where sugar should be. It is true that restaurant employees have to deal with crowds of customers and work under pressure, but management should make sure that cleaning supplies are entirely separate from food supplies.

  • LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 11:40 p.m.

    Interesting --

    No comment from the family,
    No comment from the Doctor,
    No comment from the Hospital.

    All we have is multiple media comments from her "Attorney".

  • K Mchenry, IL
    Aug. 15, 2014 11:14 p.m.

    The packaging could have been similar to each other. Whatever the cause a solution needs to happen to prevent it from happening again.

  • tabuno Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 10:19 p.m.

    I thought most really toxic poisons had to be labeled with universal symbols.

  • davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Aug. 15, 2014 7:49 p.m.

    besides, as a food manager with 20 years experience, I can assure you that all chemicals are labeled in more than one language

  • the greater truth Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 6:00 p.m.


    Tolerance has nothing to do with it.

    Just because someone is Caucasian does not mean they can read, or read english.

  • Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 4:36 p.m.

    @Sneaky Jimmy - Perhaps tolerance should be a prerequisite for commenting on a public comment board...

    You have no idea whether the employee who did it speaks English as their first language or not. We don't know enough of the specifics to make a judgement call so maybe we should avoid making snap judgments... I've been to that restaurant and most of the crew that I saw working there were Caucasians.

  • Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    Aug. 15, 2014 4:17 p.m.

    Perhaps reading English should be a prerequisite for employment.

  • Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Aug. 15, 2014 1:58 p.m.

    That is terrible. I hope she recovers.

    If you deal with chemicals you get paranoid about mixing chemicals and food. But a restaurant does not think of themselves as a chemical lab. Right now, all over the place smart restaurants are asking themselves, "So where are we putting our cleaners, etc? And how are we labeling and training so that our staff don't make that sort of a mistake?"