Woman suffers chemical burns while dining at South Jordan restaurant

Return To Article
Add a comment
  • tannernd WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 4:49 p.m.

    Restaurants are full of cleaning chemicals. It is true they are stored separately from food, but they do come into contact with items that are used in food preparation or in the case of tea urns, the service of a beverage.

    There is a chemical that is used to clean tea and coffee urns that is highly toxic and can cause burns (gloves must be worn when using it). After the chemical is applied the tea or coffee urn must be thoroughly rinsed, sanitized and free of the chemical's residue.

    I would not jump to a conclusion of intentional poisoning. I think a more likely conclusion is that a lazy worker dumped in a cleaning chemical without rinsing or sanitizing afterwards. It is also possible that the employee had not completed the cleaning process and another worker decided to use the urn.

    It is a sad story, no one going out to eat would expect to end up hospitalized. Additionally, I think it is also very likely that every employee who touched the tea urn is going back through their mind and trying to remember any contact they had with the urn and hoping they did cause the incident.

  • stevenwaters Holladay, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 12:19 p.m.

    The state really needs to require that restaurants post the Health Departments inspection rating in a clear and visible place making it much easier for customers to make informed dining decisions. Plus I believe it would force businesses to show greater care and concern for the way they prepare and handle food etc.

  • Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 6:12 a.m.

    This could be an "accident" in that it was not a willful intended act.

    However proper storage and labeling issues remain to be resolved. Foods and cleaning supplies need to properly labeled, and stored separately.

    Has anyone thought to question the ability of the operator or staff to properly read and follow the labels on both food and cleaning supplies as well as the store/company protocols regarding these items.

  • JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 11:04 p.m.

    Don't let Mormons make tea or coffee. Any other cook would likely have tasted the drink to determine the sweetness of the beverage, after adding what was thought to be sugar. The mistake would have been caught before the public was put at risk. However, the cook would be the one in the hospital. I suspect this was a tragic mistake caused by someone's gross carelessness. A poisonous substance should never be put in an unmarked container.

    I had a friend that had poured some strong hydrogen peroxide into a cup and set it on the table. A few minutes later, absent mindedly picked it up thought it was water and took a drink. Sometimes people just do things without thinking.

  • Magn8ic1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 5:50 p.m.

    I have some insights. Lye and water mixed together make sodium hydroxide. Lye is used in cleaning drains as well and looks an awful lot like sugar. They may have put it in a bowl for some reason and someone mistook it for sugar?

  • Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 14, 2014 5:29 p.m.

    Were any of those who have posted at the reastaurant when the incident occurred?

    How about letting the police investigate and then let the courts decide who owes whom?

  • Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 1:20 p.m.

    An accident? Hardly.
    Obviously, the fluid was used to clean out the container and it was not properly poured out and rinsed.
    It takes several steps in a restaurant cleaning process to miss doing that...INCLUDING looking inside when you make a fresh batch of "powdered tea and sugar".

  • USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 11:56 a.m.

    Most likely a disgruntled employee trying to get back at his employer. Law suit pending.

  • oldrunner Ogden, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 10:51 a.m.

    I agree with UtahBruin. Somebody did this intentionally and should be held accountable. This was not an accident. It was attempted homicide.

  • UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 9:54 a.m.

    Accident? Really? A cleaning product mixed with tea. That is not an accident. In restaurants those types of products are never around food, or the health department would have shut them down, and or been written up with a violation. This is not an accident, I will even go as far as to say that is not just my opinion, that is fact even thought the story states otherwise.