Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers recall pioneer ancestors, celebrate Utah holiday

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 24, 2014 11:00 a.m.

I served a hitch in the Navy. I served on a diesel boat submarine in the north pacific at about the same time as the Korean war was cooling off. For my service I received, leadership training, electronics of the time, radar and sonar training and experience, submarine training and experience, clothing, medical care, dental care, food and lodging, free travel to places from Boston Massachusetts to the east coast of Siberia, including Tahiti, New Zealand, Guam, Formosa, Japan, Hong Kong, and Hawaii, San Diego, San Francisco, Mazatlan Mexico and 30 days leave per year of service. As a veteran, I went to school on the GI Bill, bought my first home, and in these later years health care at the VA. Also two free haircuts, one when I joined and one when we crossed the equator.

I can't remember any thing that could be referred to as a sacrifice. Would someone please clue me in about the "sacrifice" that our current military imposes.

• TimBehrend Auckland NZ, 00
    July 24, 2014 5:48 a.m.

The first wave of LDS pioneers left the United States to establish a new kingdom free from its strictures. LDS who now serve in Afghanistan are helping extend the strictures and control of the United States over another country that has been deprived of its sovereignty as part of a multi-trillion dollar boondoggle. It's a stretch to compare the two as if they were mirror images of one another, or even mutually compatible.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    July 23, 2014 7:08 p.m.

It is to bad that all our youth don't spend 2 years of their lives supporting this country, maybe they would better appreciate what their ancestors did so they can live the lives they do.

• B ob Richmond, CA
    July 23, 2014 5:55 p.m.

I wish they would have listed the pioneer names. Would be useful to find out a common ancestor.

• kizatt Bountiful, UT
    July 23, 2014 5:13 p.m.

Staff Sergeant -- That is an excellent article. I am honored to have spoken with you when you called The Days of '47 to discuss it. Thank you for your service and, most of all, for keeping the pioneering spirit. Be safe and come home soon.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    July 23, 2014 5:03 p.m.

Having lived or been stationed TDY in Germany, Korea, Japan, Okinawa, the Philippines, Vietnam, Oman, and other places during Utah's distinct celebrations, I thank you all still in our prayers and for your service. May God bless you .