About Utah: A tasty slice of Germany in an unexpected place

• Cactus Moroni, UT
    May 12, 2014 12:49 p.m.

The Schroeders are fine, hardworking people. They deserve success and the community's support. Good on them!

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    May 12, 2014 12:23 p.m.

Awesome! Takes a lot of guts to go for your dreams, ESPECIALLY when others say you're only going to fail.

Congratulatins, ladies! :-)

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 12, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Sounds like a great place to eat. We lived in Germany for several years in the 70's and ate at every little restaurant we could find in the villages. Never disappointed. I am hoping this will be the same! Next time I am in Sanpete County I will have to stop and try it.

• Kraut Menifee, CA
    May 12, 2014 11:02 a.m.

Das Café sounds great. I am a returned missionary from Germany, and my wife's family comes from Mt. Pleasant. Now whenever I travel to Salt Lake City, I will be stopping at the Café. I will also tell all of my family about the Café.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 9:54 a.m.

I have had multiple, first hand experiences with Das Café, and YES - they're outstanding. Go have breakfast there!

• Commentor Spring City, UT
    May 12, 2014 9:28 a.m.

The have the BEST carrot cake I have ever, ever tasted! The food is wonderful. May 24th is 'Heritage Day' in Spring City. It would be a great day to go to Spring City and see some art, tour old historic homes and eat at Das Cafe!

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    May 12, 2014 3:45 a.m.

From my experience when stationed in post war Germany their cuisine was an acquired taste and much of it was a different experience and not the same Americanized version of their food. There sausages of bratwurst, bloodwurst, knockwurst, schnitzel (veal), etc. and many other authentic foods preparations did not have the same spices and seasoning and production methods used in the US.

There have been many German restaurants in SLC area but did not have big enough following to really be able to establish the food culture because basic ingredients changes altered the food to unrecognizable similarities. The biggest disappointment company is the Jonestown brand, hardly authentic because so many chemical additives in animal feed and bone meal in the production for long term storage infect the quality with disappointment.

Nothing like a good street vended bratwurst on bakery fresh hard roll with mustard, and Mayo on fries.