Herbert signs autism insurance bill as Utahns celebrate World Autism Awareness Day

• Atalya Stansbury Park, UT
    April 3, 2014 3:44 p.m.

I agree with Red Smith--it doesn't start at 2 nor does it end at 9. Intervention before age 2 is recommended and quite effective, and it would be nice if it disappeared and everything became "normal" at age 9, but it does not. This should be covered, period.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 3, 2014 11:03 a.m.

It's amazing how many thing insurance doesn't cover, we have young child who has a severe speech delay, insurance only covers speech therapy if it's the result of an accident. Luckily we can afford it ourselves, though barely. It's more annoying that we fork out insane amounts of money every month for insurance and yet doesn't cover something as basic as speech therapy.

• K Mchenry, IL
    April 3, 2014 9:15 a.m.

So many group plans aren't under state regulations. A federal mandate to cover would be nice. Good news for some.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    April 3, 2014 8:55 a.m.

@Red Smith, I agreed. I have 5 boys, 4 of them are Autism Spectrum. Ages already passed 9. I am glad younger generation are going to be getting help and they need it. But my kids are doing a little better but still need help! And yes, we parents are still coughing up more money for our kids needs. And, I am not the only family who need help.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    April 3, 2014 8:39 a.m.

It's a good start, but health care costs begin before age 2 and don't end at age 9. Why not full coverage with autism as a non-excluded pre- existing condition?

• Something to think about Ogden, UT
    April 3, 2014 7:07 a.m.

First I want to say, this is a "good thing". I have several friends who will be helped by this.

However, I'm curious to see the comments by the "Obamacare" haters. This is an example of expanding insurance coverage 'forced' upon us by the government. I thought we were a Republican state that was against such things?

I guess, like everyone else, we pick and choose what we truly want to believe when it comes to "right and wrong".

Congrat's to the families who are now being helped!