10 sent to hospital following accidental hazmat incident at Temple Square

Return To Article
Add a comment
  • Shushannah Kendal, Cumbria
    Aug. 23, 2013 7:42 a.m.

    white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda... all you need to clean anything, both biodegradable, totally harmless to pets and children... only chemical reaction when they mix is a few bubbles... problem solved

  • Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:47 p.m.

    "What's wrong with this picture? Why is it that to CLEAN something that we have to use toxic chemicals -- which is a health hazard?"

    He wasn't using toxic chemicals to clean. The toxic chemical formed when he mixed two things together.

    My question is what was the sulfuric acid doing there? I think that the thing to do is to get really paranoid about the bottles of chemicals that are laying around. If chlorox and ammonia are mixed chlorine gas is produced. If you have to have both on hand, label each one with a black magic marker that it must not be mixed with the other one and then make that something that gets inspected every month.

    A janitor should not have to be a chemist to the job.

  • Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:53 p.m.

    This is such an easy mistake to make. As a teenager I worked at a fast-food restaurant where another teen tried to get an old stain out of a cabinet. The Comet he was using didn't work, so he poured some bleach on top of it. A minute later we saw his limp body slumped on the floor, having succumbed to the bad chemical reaction.

    He was fine, but it just goes to show that a simple desire to clean something can lead to unfortunate results.

    Maybe we should just leave the world dirty?

  • I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 5:47 p.m.

    Baron Scarpia,

    Alcohol isn't good for the liver or brain, but it's great for disinfecting.

    The same applies to any chemical. The earth is made up of and even releases things like sulfur, methane, and so on. We're surrounded by chemicals, even harmful ones. There is no such thing as a "perfect" environment. Frankly, the top scientific minds wouldn't even know how to qualify a perfect environment.

    Furthermore, sometimes we are safer by using risky chemicals then living with the consequences of using an alternative. Basically in the end there is no need to find anything wrong 'with this picture'. "Wrong finding" doesn't help the world.

    Instead we can look at this with optimism and work towards better safety practices. I see a whole lot of "right" that will now follow this picture as everyone involved will be better for it. The things we go through in life are for our benefit and gain, not to hold us back.

    This simply isn't as big of deal as many will portray it to be. I'd much rather focus on better practices than dwelling on mistakes anyway. It's far more productive in my view.

  • Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 4:40 p.m.

    What's wrong with this picture? Why is it that to CLEAN something that we have to use toxic chemicals -- which is a health hazard? Think about babies and pets, with their noses on the floors, constantly breathing toxic carpet and floor "cleaners." And of course, all those chemicals are then sent down the drain...

    The LDS Church's Library is a LEED Silver building, which is supposed to maintain healthy environments for occupants without toxins. I sure hope they aren't using the same toxic agents to keep that "green" building "clean."

  • Western Rover Herriman, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 4:21 p.m.

    Several years ago when a car accident in the Seattle area blocked the light rail track running in one direction, but not the track running in the other direction, they were able to continue light rail service by "single tracking", i.e. switching the trains from one track to the other, and making sure that only one train at a time was traveling through the affected section. Service may have been slowed down, but not stopped. Why doesn't UTA do that?