Low-income families least likely to change spending habits from increased taxes

Return To Article
Add a comment
  • CougAbroad Vienna/Austria, 00
    April 3, 2013 1:35 a.m.

    The truth is somewhere in between, as usual. There is very little wiggle room for people who make very little money. I've been there. On the other hand, it's difficult for people to feel empathy when (as has been noted in the comments) people claiming poverty have nicer televisions/vehicles/cell phones than those who aren't currently participating in any government programs.

    Responsible people don't mind the existence of government aid...they simply want that aid to be administered responsibly/efficiently. There are many who need only a helping hand in times of difficulty. The problem is managing the program, and being able to identify these people...separate them from the users/abusers.

  • Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2013 8:38 a.m.

    You're not paying into social security unless if you have a job, and make over a certain dollar figure. Yes they tax people with any level of job. But, if you file your taxes, they return that money and then some.

    I could pay my dad $20/month over the year. But, if he buys me food, pays my cell phone bill, covers my medical. I'm really not paying him $20, he is paying for me.

  • K Mchenry, IL
    March 31, 2013 7:40 a.m.

    The lowest half of Americans do pay social security, unless they are covered by a government/municipal pension.

  • JWB Kaysville, UT
    March 27, 2013 9:11 a.m.

    Even though Mitt Romney didn't mean what the media and journalists have said he said, even though on tape, the "is" definition has been undermined by the pundits and campaign forces of President Obama. I didn't see President Obama try to say what his involvement was in Benghazi during the debate with Mitt Romney. The President had his moderator give her meaning and demean Mitt Romney. The President is a real politician.

    The problem with the Bar Tender's video and 47 percent is that those people need to have the other 53 percent paying their way. Eventually, the 53 percent will figure out that they have been working long shifts and hard long shifts at that to pay for the 47 percent's way through life. They just as well move in with them. No, the 47 percent have public housing paid for them.

    The real issue for people is that their pay checks were less due to the tax and premium payments for healthcare. A lot of employees blamed their bosses for taking out extra deductions when the no-interest for 3 years collection notice came in 2013 saying "pay-up" to all income producers.

    Someone has to pay, YOU.

  • Antimonian Logan, UT
    March 27, 2013 7:20 a.m.

    I find that hard to believe, it seems that no matter how you slice it, when the upper classes catch a cold the lower classes get pneumonia.

  • Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2013 1:39 p.m.

    If you are low income what spending are you realistically going to cut? Seriously? Why would you cut back on Food Stamps, WIC, Heating/Electricity Assistance, Cell Phone, Medicare/Medicaid, subsidized housing along with the other several thousand programs. When you are given a certain amount each month, then you spend all of it. Or as some people sell off your food stamps for pennies on the dollar and then use the money for other addictions or needs.

    When tax season comes, they file their taxes and are awarded Thou$and$ of dollar$ to help "redistribute" the wealth. You'd like to think they are responsible with this money and use it for all of the needs they complain about. But, from the several thousand people I've met over my life. Typically it goes towards an electronic device, gaming station, a vacation etc. Which is fine, but, then they go right back to claiming poverty. Which would break my heart if I didn't work 3 jobs at low wages to get ahead and they barely show up to their full time job.

    Oh well the brave "new norm" our president promised us

  • Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2013 1:14 p.m.

    The reason for that is that low-income families don't have a whole lot of "wiggle-room" in their budget in the first place.

    THATS WHY higher taxes and inflationary pressures effect them much more than higher income families.

  • patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 26, 2013 12:38 p.m.

    low income families - the Obama kind - don't pay taxes so what do they care? The more taxes go up the more free stuff they get. The 'new' America.