Book shares struggles, joys of returning to LDS Church

• j.kirkland.3 Abilene, TX
    July 30, 2012 3:37 p.m.

Thank you Susan, for sharing your inspiring story. I am an inactive member that recently made the decision to try and return to my faith. During a recent visit to my parents, I came across your book on my mom's table. The front cover caught my eye and after reading the prologue, I felt I needed to read it. I was raised in the church, but left after high school. I have been through many of the same struggles you outlined in the book. I can appreciate all that you experienced. While I am not extremely proud of the life I have had since leaving the church, I can relate to your statement "Would I go back...and choose my trials? No. But would I change the person overcoming those challenges had helped me become? Never." I may not have lived according to His teachings, but I will use my experiences to strengthen my faith and the faith of those around me. While I truly appreciate lifelong church members, I deeply admire those that willingly endure the oftentimes difficult challenge of altering their lifestyle toward the gospel. Especially when that change is coupled with ridicule from friends and family.

• Grace Bakersfield, CA
    July 24, 2012 1:39 p.m.

I will read the book. I am curious to find what drew her back. Studying the Bible vis-a-vis LDS doctrines and prophecies obviously were not part of Swann's journey. For those of us who have made honest, thorough research and found the Jesus of the Bible, the Church leaders and members always remain at odds with our born-again experiences. There is only one answer:

Different Christs, Gospel and Salvations, just as the Apostle Paul warned about. While fellowship, support and charity are important, you can get that in many religions and organizations. You can only have one Son. And "He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.". The ultimate search must be for Truth; otherwise the counterfeit is a temporary bandaid. No guarantee for Eternity. I should write my book....

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    July 24, 2012 12:33 p.m.

"The author explains that her journey away led her to break temple covenants, but she does not describe any of the thought processes, confusion, justifications and tough choices that led her into temptation. Detailing sin is counterproductive, but it would have been helpful for readers to have a general sense of what Swann dealt with." I haven't read the book, so I'm shooting in the dark here...but this passage almost seems like a veiled complaint that the author did not "detail" her sins, thus leaving the readers curious. And I agree with the previous comment in which the commenter thought the author of the article might have a chop on his shoulder toward non-LDS publishers. And, the article was not proofread very well. These three items make me question the journalist's credibility and to not much of value away from the book review. I may read the book, but my decision will be independent of any influence, one way or the other, from this article.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    July 24, 2012 10:16 a.m.

She came back because she found herself alone in the world. So what?

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    July 22, 2012 7:59 p.m.

Congratulations Susan. I think many can only envy of the newly enhanced relationship you have with our Savior. Sometimes it takes such bold steps to attempt to "find" the truth, only to discover that you already had it. I pray that you are closer than ever before to Him and that your example will be a light of hope to others to others. It is truly difficult to leave pride and embarrassment behind and follow that up by doing the things you know is right. Thank you much for sharing your story.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 22, 2012 4:03 p.m.

Good for Susan Swann, and I hope this helps others who are open to a return to their faith. I do wonder about the first sentence of the last paragraph, and why it was necessary. Why would anyone assume that the book would be disrespectful toward the Church because it was produced by a non-LDS publisher? Given the purpose of the book, why would anyone think Ms. Swann would have a publisher who would somehow change the contents to disrespect the Church? It makes no sense, and just looks like the writer has a chip on his shoulder.