The downside of raising backyard chickens

• Human Outlier Floyds Knobs, IN
    Sept. 15, 2014 1:56 p.m.

For all you guys saying that this article is bad and that whoever wrote it is "ignorant"-
    The article is SUPPOSED to be about the cons of raising backyard chickens. If you actually read the beginning, you would know that the person said that they couldn't find much reliable info online about it, only good stuff, so they wrote about the bad themselves. I have twelve backyard chickens at my home, and I found all of this to be completely valid and reasonable. I totally think having chickens is great, but there are pros and cons to everything, and this article was specifically about the cons. The person that wrote this didn't say not to have chickens, they were just giving correct reasons as to why they're not for everyone. If you had actually read that and thought about, you'd be able to see that too, although I must admit in modern society we're being taught and conditioned not to think too deeply into things like this, so I don't blame you for your blindness.

To whoever wrote this- thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions

• Forgotten pilot Taylorsville, UT
    April 28, 2014 9:49 a.m.

SOme of the scomenters have already mentioned it, but one ohter thing is hte legal cost that hte city *adds* to it.
    I fully agree that there are rules to be adhered to in order to NOT cause a public nuisance.
    But ... , why for pete's sake, does one have to pay 5 hard earned dollars, per chicken, per year ?

My question is *What do we get beck for those 5 dollars a year ?*
    Does anybody from the city come by and help me clean the coop ?

I really like to know what does the city government give me back for paying them 5 dollars, a year, per chicken ?

Comment please dear government !!!

• utahflyer Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 12:16 p.m.

If we take your logic about "expense" and chickens not paying for themselves for a very, very long time, and applly that logic to the topic of solar or wind power - it wouldn't make sense for anyone to do solar or wind power EVER, because it just doesn't pay for itself for an incredibly long time and does require even more money to maintain.

If we applied that logic to owning a dog, then no one should ever get a dog because they don't provide any sort of income and they never pay themselves off.

Let's pretend that the traditional food chain is disrupted - from rural farmer to grocery store... somewhere in that line something happens and food can't get to the stores, or we can't get to the stores... In that case, your arguments are all moot because if you have chickens, you have some level of food production.

Many people choose raise chickens (or do anything, really) despite the expense not justifying it, because they receive a sense of enjoyment in doing it, or from the fruits of that labor, or because it provides a sense of security, and many other reasons.

• utahflyer Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 11:27 a.m.

Looking forward to the next articles in this series: "The Downside of Raising Children," ... "The Downside of Living in a Suburban Community," and of course, "The Downside of Eating Food." Keep them coming!

• utahflyer Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 10:29 a.m.

I was going to say this is a "glass half empty" post, but it's actually a "don't bother filling the glass at all" post. Since the beginning of time, we have been taught the wisdom of self-sufficiency. Here, we are being preached to about how awful it can be. It reminds me of a person I know who is always complaining about everything. Every time this person opens their mouth, they have something to complain about. When I'm around them, I feel like they are a vacuum, sucking all the happy energy out of my body, leaving me physically and mentally exhausted after any conversation with them. Consequently, this person finds themselves constantly being avoided as no one wants to be around them and have their positive energy sucked completely dry... Anyway, raising chickens for fun, for food (eggs and/or poultry) is a fun and rewarding experience. My kids just love it. Hard work is a principle of success and part of life. Nothing worth doing is easy. How many other axioms can you think of to add to this list about the merits of work? Life's too short to focus on negative crap.

• Larry Moreland Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2013 10:08 p.m.

Whoever wrote this, is ignorant. As a backyard chicken farmer, I've dealth with my fair share of predators, expenses, work in order to maintain my flock. Speaking from experience, having chickens for pets beats any other pet by a longshot. Ya they stink, so does dog dung and cat litter. Ya you have to feed them, try finding a pet you dont have to feed. Ya they squak, find a pet that makes no noise and youll find an unhappy pet. About the eggs, backyard eggs are priceless. Those eggs they sell you arent eggs, theyre feggs. Fake EGGS! they dont taste like real eggs, they dont nourish you like real eggs, because they arent real eggs! I treat my chickens like any decent pet owner does, during the day the wander my 1/3 acre garden, beats hiring jose, at night i lock them up safe, yes they eat some tomatoes, but they also keep pestilence out of my garden. Yes i have to lock em up when i plant starts, once the plants are big enough, they roam free. Chickens equal sustainability. Which our country could definately use more of. Love, Chicken Larry