Wright Words: Virginia young women light up runway at unique fashion show

• EnosEugenius Shenandoah, IA
    June 1, 2012 12:37 p.m.

I am so sorry to start with negative, but some posters just don't seem to get it. We teach our young women the values of divine nature and individual worth, that God made them with beauty both inside and out, and then tell them not to show it? That's ridiculous. As a father of two daughters (one teen), I see no flaunting here; I see a focus on trying to have the girls show their beauty without being immodest about it. I see a focus on interacting with the opposite sex in a respectful way (ties and shirts, assisting young women down stairs in heels and dressy shoes -- that's a danger, by the way, people!)

Now, for my comment: I love this! As I said, I think it does an excellent job of helping the young women with the values of divine nature and individual worth. One small suggestion: Many of the girls might be coached to keep their shoulders back, heads up, and eyes on the audience (speaking of individual worth). Good posture shows that inner and outer beauty, as well as reinforcing self-image and confidence.

• Bethanymom Murray, UT
    May 31, 2012 9:06 a.m.

What an awesome way to remind young women that they can look attractive, express themselves thru their choice of clothing,and still be modest. The media sends a very different message. Even my daughters as young as 7 & 8 have heard the less is more and wearing skimpy clothing will make you popular message.

I applaud all of the participants, and thank them for the example they are setting for the little girls in their lives. My girls look up to their teenagecousins, babysiters, and the young women in the ward/neighborhood. When they see them dressing fun AND modest it helps send the message that the can have their own sense of style. They can be an individual and still show respect for their bodies.

• WI_Member Appleton, WI
    May 31, 2012 6:42 a.m.

If this is the most important activity that your daughters have participated in during their time in the Young Women organization, I am very sad for them. How about service related activities or developing real talents besides picking out cute outfits and strutting around in them? The definition of strut is "to walk with a stiff, erect, and apparently arrogant or conceited gait." Isn't this the exact opposite of modesty?

Attaching so much importance to clothing completely disregards the Savior's admonition in 1 Samuel 16:7, "for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."

Activities like these trivialize the worth of the young women, they do not enhance it.

• Jeanie b. Orem, UT
    May 29, 2012 3:26 p.m.

I thought this was a great idea. It's ok for young women to look attractive, just not alluring and it's nice to have something like this to teach the difference. (....or we could just follow the example of the FLDS women....)

As a mom of two young women who are young adults now, it was never ok to dress immodestly in our home (we did the "head, shoulders, knees and toes" test). But I fear that message was taken to heart so much that my daughters felt that dressing up was not a great idea either. Over time they learned that they could have fun with clothes and be modest.

Denim is actually a staple in a teenagers wardrobe - so no problem there - and yes, the hemline should be ok both standing and sitting.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    May 29, 2012 11:42 a.m.

One would hope that the photo depicting the lds women's fashion show is not an example of what would follow. Denin is passe and above the knee hemlines may be acceptable when one is standing - but when one is siting, the view of thigh - and worse - is rather distracting. Tight and skimpy clothing seems to be the norm even for church service. Granted the clothing style in Hollywood, Elle, and Vogue are laughable and over the top, but also, too many LDS women's clothing style leaves much to not copy.

• RedneckLefty St. George, UT
    May 29, 2012 11:23 a.m.

I'm trying to process this. So, to demonstrate that inner beauty is more important than external beauty, you hold an event that is all about external beauty--just a Mormon-branded version of it?

I'm sorry, but this is just all kinds of messed up. If you're trying to set yourself apart from the world, why go to so much trouble to enact as bizarre, fetishizing, objectifying, and "worldly" ritual as a fashion show? This makes zero sense to me.

The problem with immodesty is that it makes women's dress a function of the male libido. The problem with the way some people talk about modesty these days is--it makes women's dress a function of the male libido!

If you're trying to show girls where their true value is, stop making them parade around for men! And the boys in ties standing by the stairs as escorts? How can you empower girls when you don't even trust them to go down the stairs by themselves?!