'Very religious' voters prefer Romney, while 'nonreligious' support Obama

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2012 10:19 p.m.

Counting the southern evangelicals?

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    April 28, 2012 6:18 a.m.

Actually I can understand why TOO and others are confused about being able to be a "good" Mormon and also a Democrat. Sure, the Church's stance is that it doesn't endorse a specific political party etc. but the Church's ownership of Deseret News runs counter to that claim. Deseret News could become more "balanced" politically speaking or the Church could choose to divest itself of Deseret News, but won't do either. Therefore, defacto endorsement of the Republican Party continues, and the Church's statement about not endorsing a political party appears disingenuous.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 27, 2012 2:10 p.m.

As I've said before, all of you who think that a Church member cannot be a Democrat are stating false doctrine. I don't know how many times the Church has to state that. It seems as if you give more allegiance to the Republican party than you do to your own church leaders, but I give up. I am sure that your minds will not be changed no matter how many letters are read from the pulpit before each election.

• zoar63 Mesa, AZ
    April 27, 2012 1:19 p.m.

"I am both religious and a devout Democrat. The two do not only not contradict each other, but mesh into exactly what Jesus' teachings are...care for the ill, the orphans, the widows, etc."

That is a commandment for individuals not a green light for government to take from the haves and give to the have nots. Taking deprives a man of his agency.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    April 27, 2012 10:05 a.m.

There have been several arguments back and forth with TOO, regarding voting for Obama even though he supports gay marriage and abortion. TOO's detractors are correct in stating the Church does not tell us how to vote, but they have failed to explain why they will vote for Obama when they know he supports gay marriage and abortion (and wants religious organizations to provide abortion and contraception against their moral code). I would like to read their explanations. And Obama did once vote for a law that says if an abortion fails, and the baby is born alive, the Dr. does not have to revive the baby, but can just leave it to die. To answer the question, is anyone really FOR abortion, the answer is YES. NARAL, NOW, and Planned Parenthood might say that they wish abortion were safe (of course, not safe for the baby!) and rare, but their actions show that they don't really care if abortion is rare.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    April 27, 2012 9:57 a.m.

To Merich 139: So attending church weekly and saying that it is important to your daily life makes one “rabidly religious”?
    To Furry 1993 President Obama “earned” his silver spoon? I guess the way he “earned” his Nobel Prize. Inciting racial tensions, hobnobbing with Weather Underground bombers, accepting kickbacks to get Obamacare passed, appointing tax cheats to high office, hiring lobbyists after promising not to, promising “shovel ready” jobs that didn’t exist (so he was either lying or very naïve, but conservatives knew those jobs weren’t there), and blaming Bush for the deficit even though he has run it up higher than any other president, sending guns into Mexico but forgetting to even track them, talking big about a solar company that he knew was in trouble, and which did in fact go bankrupt – these are how he “earned” anyone’s respect? Plus, as a senator, he voted “present.”

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    April 26, 2012 11:53 p.m.

This seems to fall in line with Romney's latest assertion that President Obama is pushing some sort of "secular agenda". So let me get this strait, the accusations about the President's religion range everywhere between "he's a leftist Christian" (remember Reverend Wright?) "he's a secret Muslim" and now a "secret Atheist". Proof that he's a secret Atheist of course, is this poll as anecdotal evidence that suggests the non-religious are more likely to vote for Obama than Romney. Brilliant. This despite the fact that President Obama has evoked the name of Jesus more times in 3.5 years than George Bush did in 8 years (look it up). I get that most Americans do want a president who believes in God. I think it probably has more to do with mistaking a belief in God and being humble or lacking outright "arrogance", but I digress. But perhaps the reason why non-believers would be more apt to vote for President Obama is because he doesn't seem eager to enforce his personal religious beliefs on the country. Where as Romney is probably seen as some one more likely to do just that. My guess

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    April 26, 2012 11:25 p.m.

I would guess that Obama's belief system is much more aligned to the secular humanism that is prevalent in academia.a.k.a. Pro=choice, pro-Palestinian and leaning toward a radical social democrat.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 26, 2012 7:19 p.m.

"And I doubt that he's "for" abortion. Who is "for" abortion?"

I think somebody who would deliberately overturn the code that allows people to refuse to perform abortion for religious beliefs (like some religions do not like its members joining the military) could be considered to be "for" abortion. Obama has done just that. What arguments do you have that suggest he is not for abortion, considering that information?

And Melanna, that law sounds an awful lot like that plan you talk about, the plan that 2/3 of us voted down. Except this law isn't forcing us to do good, it is forcing some people to do evil unless they give up their careers. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    April 26, 2012 4:51 p.m.

@patriot
    Thats funny I always see extreme and false rhetoric designed to try to convince people that anyone that does not hold the same views as the persons spreading said propaganda as the "enemy" in an attempt to divide people as a very serious threat to our society. I guess it depends on your point of view.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 26, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Barack Hussin OBama is an enemy to all who value their faith. Big government socialistic societies see religion as a threat to their heavy hand. Always have and always will.

• Melanna Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 26, 2012 3:43 p.m.

@ TOO: You know, there was a leader who thought that the best way to make sure people did what was right and correct was to pass laws dictating desired behavior.

2/3 of us decided it was more important to have choice and voted him down.

But hey, let's follow his plan anyway, right?

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 26, 2012 3:36 p.m.

@ TOO: "We value scholarship that enhances understanding, but in the Church today, just as anciently, establishing the doctrine of Christ or correcting doctrinal deviations is a matter of divine revelation to those the Lord endows with apostolic authority." - Elder D. Todd Christofferson

Who are you to publicly question someone else's temple worthiness? Especially in a public forum, especially against the position of the LDS Church that such things are not to be done?

Perhaps you should worry about the beam in your own eye, and let alt134, Wonder, and any other LDS members who choose to support Obama worry about their motes by themselves with some input from God and their Bishops?

(By the way, how do you feel about that commandment prohibiting false witness? Is supporting someone who violates that also a violation of the Recommend requirements? If so, perhaps you should stay home in November - because there will be no one on the ballot at any level who has not done that.)

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    April 26, 2012 2:52 p.m.

@TOO
    I am pretty sure your religious leaders recently talked about he fact that you should not be calling others faith and membership into question especially in public forums, but I guess since you are picking and choosing what parts of your religion to quote to try to score political points it does not really matter what your leaders actually teach, right?

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 26, 2012 2:50 p.m.

atl134

Actually, I firmly believe that it DOES matter which way you vote. During the year we studied the Doctrine and Covenants, there was a quote from Bruce R. McConkie that said:

"To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to take the Lord’s side on every issue. It is to vote as he would vote. It is to think what he thinks, to believe what he believes, to say what he would say and do what he would do in the same situation. It is to have the mind of Christ and be one with him as he is one with his Father”

I am pretty sure that if it is in the Sunday School manual it is considered doctrine.

Also, read the book, Many are Called but Few are Chosen by H. Verlon Andersen. It was recommended in General Conference to all members of the church by President Benson.

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    April 26, 2012 2:19 p.m.

@tenx
    So how did you conduct your survey? did you ask yourself and then agree it must be right? I think its safe to say what ever your method was your research methods leave something to be desired since the real studies show the fact is that less then 9% of the population relies on the government for part of their income and less then 3% rely on it as their sole source of income. Maybe you should leave research to the experts.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 1:56 p.m.

@TOO
    Your assertion is that people who are voting for Obama are unworthy of entering the temple, otherwise you would not be quoting that temple recommend interview question. R and D doesn't matter, the LDS church does not think it is wrong for somebody to be a liberal, a socialist, or an Obama supporter, yet you disagree on that.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 26, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Actually, Obama isn't "for" gay marriage. I believe his position is that he believes there should be civil unions. And I doubt that he's "for" abortion. Who is "for" abortion? Should I say you are for abortion since you say they are ok in some circumstances?

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 26, 2012 12:35 p.m.

atl134

And it's people like you who love to take things out of context.

The question isn't R vs D. I've voted for Democrats. It's simply a matter of beliefs. Obama is for abortion and gay marriage. That's the point.
    Way to make yourself look very ignorant though. You did a great job, I must say. Taking things out of context is one thing that Libs do best.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 11:37 a.m.

@TOO
    "The recommend question is simply asking if you affiliate or sympathize with any individuals who go against what the church teaches."

I once joked in a temple recommend interview that I was a registered Democrat when this question was asked. The bishop chuckled and said that's not an issue. But hey, you're doing a good job of showing why the church has so few active Democrats/liberals... they don't feel like dealing with people like you. And the worst part is... you'll take my assertion that people like you harm the church, and you're already thinking that one verse about separating wheat from tares. You think purifying the church politically is a good thing. You... you're the type of person that leads to people thinking that LDS members have to get in line and take orders from Salt Lake City, including the politicians. Guess what, Harry Reid is a temple recommend holder. Deal with it.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 26, 2012 10:38 a.m.

Wonder, atl134

I know the church does not endorse. I did not say they did.
    I have been a member all my life. The recommend question is simply asking if you affiliate or sympathize with any individuals who go against what the church teaches.

The church is against gay marriage. The church is against abortion (yes I know, unless certain circumstances arise). Obama is for both of these.
    The question is simple. Either you support him and go against this question or you don't.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 26, 2012 10:21 a.m.

@TOO: If you are LDS, you apparently don't think you should listen to your church leaders. Here are quotes from the First Presidency: "Church members should avoid statements or conduct that may be interpreted as Church endorsement of any political party," and "Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties." (see the letters that come from the First Presidency every election cycle). You apparently think you know more about church teachings than the First Presidency. Now, ask YOURSELF the question you just implied I would fail to answer correctly.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 10:15 a.m.

@TOO
    "Do you affiliate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or do you sympathize with the precepts of any such group or individual?"

The church does not: •Attempt to direct its members as to which candidate or party they should give their votes to.
    The church does: •Expect its members to engage in the political process in an informed and civil manner, respecting the fact that members of the Church come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and may have differences of opinion in partisan political matters.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 26, 2012 9:47 a.m.

To LDS members who claim Obama is a good man and vote for him:

Does that sound familiar? Obama supports abortion, gay marriage, and more.

• Mr. One Two Layton, UT
    April 26, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Could someone please explain to me this so-called, "Obama's war on religion." In the past 4 years I have not seen any churches closed due to any of the Obama policies. I have not seen anyone prevented from attending the church of their choice (other than dictated by family members). The only thing I've seen is requiring church-employers to provide adequate health care to their employees (which they should). Sounds like a made up war to me.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    April 26, 2012 8:52 a.m.

My survey shows that entitlement people prefer BO while those that work for a living prefer Romney. Only problem is the entitlement people are just about to go over the 50% line so that any politician who promises a free ride will be elected.

• wear2manyhatz Holladay, UT
    April 26, 2012 7:55 a.m.

What nonsense!

Perhaps if the poll showed Evangelicals for Romney (altho they pretty much despise him), that would make more sense.

Fortunately, the only people who care about religion and politics are the few on the extremes. Sadly, they have the loudest scream-ability.

Romney and the GOP will do anything but.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    April 26, 2012 5:59 a.m.

To the LDS community everyone that is NOT LDS is non-religious. This article seems to be out of place in this paper.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 26, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Why you buy ink by the barrel you have to use it to print something, whether it makes any sense or not, as observed by this article that has zero merit.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    April 25, 2012 10:23 p.m.

I agree with hutterite I am not interested in living in a theocracy if I want a preacher I will go to church.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 25, 2012 9:22 p.m.

How is any of this important? I want a president, not a preacher.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 25, 2012 8:55 p.m.

Oh, my goodness. Does that mean I'm an apostate now?

• George Bronx, NY
    April 25, 2012 8:53 p.m.

I am a little surprised usually when the DN uses such a bluntly misleading headlines they do a better hatchet job to the article they are "compiling" from to cover their tracks.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 8:52 p.m.

A study found that the three safest states in America were Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, the three most atheist states in the nation. Now I'm not going to say that religion correlates with dangerous areas because it doesn't if you look at the 50 states as a whole (btw Utah was 5th safest behind those 3 and minnesota), I'm just saying that this idea that religion = good while atheists = moralless is ridiculous and frankly to suggest atheists have no morals is bigoted.

• Kith Huntington Beach, CA
    April 25, 2012 8:50 p.m.

Roland Kayser, consider Britains political leanings.

• sb1 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 25, 2012 8:32 p.m.

I find this "article" typical of something Deseret News would report... anything that would lead the flock to believe their beloved Romney is the right choice because of "religion". quite comical indeed.

• George Bronx, NY
    April 25, 2012 8:19 p.m.

@chris b

I suppose you could go back to the 1950's when that was added and ask them.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 25, 2012 7:05 p.m.

I also am very religious (LDS) and I will vote for Obama (as will many of my religious friends.)

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 25, 2012 6:26 p.m.

I saw an interesting poll from Great Britain recently. The stronger a voter's identification was with Christianity, the more liberal that voter's politics tended to be.

• J-Dub Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 5:53 p.m.

I am very religious, and I support Obama. And, this article is propaganda. Deal with it.

• mteig HEBER CITY, UT
    April 25, 2012 5:41 p.m.

IQ has never been a necessarily good indicator of wisdom, good judgment or effective decision making. As for religiosity and the highly educated, one study found something different, stating that "This correlation between highly educated people having high levels of religious behavior in Western nations is supported by other studies: in Australia, 23% of Christian church attenders have earned a university or postgraduate degree, whereas the figure for the general population is 13%.[18] Commentators on the survey attribute the educational levels to sociological factors, such as age, class and income, making no claims about intelligence.[18] [19] Similarly, studies of Mormons in the US show that Mormons with higher education attend church more regularly than uneducated Mormons. Survey research indicated that 41% of Mormons with only elementary school education attend church regularly, compared to 76% of Mormon college graduates and 78% of Mormons who went beyond their college degrees to do graduate study attending church regularly." Or, put another way, Mormons who attend church more achieve higher levels of education. Cause and effect could go either way.

S 'Education and Religion' by Bruce Sacerdote and Edward L. Glaeser, Harvard Institute of Economic Research Discussion Paper Number 1913 (2001)

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    April 25, 2012 5:28 p.m.

Good grief, here we go again, the righteous Republicans vs the Democratic evil doers. God is not spelled G.O.P.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 25, 2012 5:28 p.m.

To codger |4.34 p.m.

And the President proudly proclaims, "I wasn't born wuth a silver spoon in MY mouth". Well, no, he got his from the government.

--------------

Not true. President Obama got his "silver spoon" the hard way. He EARNED it.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 25, 2012 5:26 p.m.

My husband and I are obsservant recommend-carrying Latter-day Saints. We are both very spiritual and deeply religious people. We wouldn't vote for Romney for any office, much less President.

• milojthatch Sandy, UT
    April 25, 2012 5:16 p.m.

You know what? I really don't think these polls do much to create bonds on good will among the various factions found in this country. Based on the comments read just here, it seems it only creates further tension.

Further, you can't label people. I think of my self as super religious and right now I'm more likely to vote for Obama while my friend is very atheistic and more likely to vote for Romney. I know these polls try to generalize everything and everyone, but life is far more complex then the media and politics try to make it out as. I think once we stop trying to fit people into bubbles, we might actually be able to get stuff done.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:36 p.m.

We've all made this decision once before: Lucifers plan was shot down.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    April 25, 2012 4:35 p.m.

Wait a minute, so Reverend Wright is considered Christian which interpreted means Obama is Christian. Wow, using the term loosely aren't they.

• codger Southwest Utah, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:34 p.m.

• williary Kearns, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Ok Gurney, so your definition of Reynolds draft stock having "slipped slightly" is going from a top 15 pick to a late round pick, if at all? Kind of a Liberal interpretation!

Come to BYU where we can take you from a 1st round prospect, to the free agency line!

• merich39 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:30 p.m.

The headline is somewhat misleading. Or incomplete, at least. The headline states Romney leads among the 'very religious' while Obama leads among the 'nonreligious'. But the body of the article states that Obama also leads among the 'moderately religious'. It's an important omission because the headline implies that mainly the nonreligious support Obama, when that is not true. A more accurate assessment is that mainly the rabidly religious support Romney.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:26 p.m.

It's actually kind of ironic in a way that the nonreligious people would support Obama; they generally don't believe in life after death, and so you'd think they'd try as hard as they can to get someone in office who won't leave the country in financial ruin. The religious could at least hope for a better life after Obama is through destroying our constitution.

• williary Kearns, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:23 p.m.

So to summarize, Obama leads Romney big in 59 percent of this poll, while Romney leads Obama big on the other 41 percent.

But certainly that headline wouldn't be nearly as appealing to DNews readers!

• Wally Ballou Cedar City, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Considering the GOP's "War on Thoughtfulness", not a surprise.

• Wanda Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:20 p.m.

So, on that basis we can assume that Obama is both clueless and godless.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:11 p.m.

Well, I wonder what those "one nation under GOD" people would say?

• Palintram Holladay, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:09 p.m.

No surprise. In 2008, intelligence researcher Helmuth Nyborg examined whether IQ relates to denomination, using representative data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth, which includes intelligence tests on a representative selection of white American youth, where they have also replied to questions about religious belief. His results, published in the scientific journal Intelligence, demonstrated that Atheists scored an average of 1.95 IQ points higher than Agnostics, 3.82 points higher than Liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than Dogmatic persuasions.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:05 p.m.

makes you think

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 25, 2012 4:04 p.m.

Big surprise. Does someone actually pay for such surveys?