Timothy R. Clark: Profanity and leadership

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 24, 2012 7:07 a.m.

Profanity is a accurate indicator of individual and societal decay.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    April 24, 2012 5:15 a.m.

I find this hard to swallow. I can wok with someone who uses profanity, because I still have a basis to work with them on. What is far more worrying to me is how common place dishonesty has become. You swear, I know your not happy with something. You lie, fabricate, bend the truth to make a point, I have no idea who you really are other than one who can't be trusted.

Don't get me wrong, profanity is way over used in today's media. But the damage it does if far less then the example kids are getting from parents who believe the ends justifies the ends when it comes to something as simple and basic as honest.

Lying has become almost as prevalent as swearing.

• Caprice PROVIDENCE, UT
    April 23, 2012 10:02 p.m.

I love this article! I often wonder if we had never heard any profanity, would we ever feel a need for it? I highly doubt it. Profane words are merely substitutes for better, more appropriate words. Profanity reveals a lower mentality, pure and simple. It is unnecessary and it is representative of a crudeness in one's upbringing. I grew up with a lot of profanity; consequently I hate it. I greatly admire and envy the homes of people where no profanity is uttered It's truly useless, other than it makes the one who profanes feel perhaps more empowered. What a shame. In my opinion, profanity debases everyone.

• Maggie Saint George, UT
    April 23, 2012 9:54 p.m.

Thank your for this article.I agree it certainly is not the most serious thing we have to deal with in society.However ,if you have been raised to reject it and you raise your children to do so and most of your family and friends do not use profanity,it is disturbing to got to work or out into a society that cannot get through a sentence with out profanity. I have to deal with it but I do not have to approve or respect the person using it. I was very shocked to hear VP Bidens profanity ridden remark when the health care bill passed. Just not becoming for the leader of our country to do so in public or when they are officially representing this great country.

• f├╣tbol7 Ephraim, UT
    April 23, 2012 7:26 p.m.

Great article! I agree with you--"profanity is vanity[!]" When we use our language carefully and appropriately, we will be better off, in the business world and everyday life.

• twinfallsid TWIN FALLS, ID
    April 23, 2012 3:23 p.m.

I think the golden rule applies to profanity. I would not swear and use offensive language in front of my neighbor and I would expect that he would treat me and my family likewise.
    It's a symptom of what is going wrong in our society. Good article. Thanks.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 23, 2012 2:17 p.m.

Profanity hardly worth worrying about. It exists in certain sub cultures and so what? This over emphasis is more destructive than the profanity itself, because of the opportunity costs. Many a smooth tongue devil has grown up in a home where overemphasis was placed on profanity.

Over concern for it takes away effort of worrying about more important things. Such as the golden rule, treating your neighbor as you would be treated yourself. If this effort were directed from profanity to the golden rule, more people would be good people.