NBA considers adding ads to players' jerseys

• Utah Keith Roy, UT
    Feb. 20, 2016 1:18 p.m.

Why is everyone in an uproar? MSL does it, world wide soccer does it, why not the NBA, NHL, and even Major League Baseball for crying out loud? How about the NFL remove the helmet logo and replace them with say, Pepto Bismol, or Budweiser, or Miller, or Kotex, or Pharmaceuticals? That would be a cool thing! Heck let the NCAA allow that for their teams too!!! How about High Schools! Even let it go to the local cub scout pack, our uniforms are sponsored by.... The local LBGT chapter of Willisvilletoncreek City. Gee thanks for the Pink Uniforms, saves the parents lots of money! Who's all in???

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2012 2:11 p.m.

Although I don't like it, it is the way of the sports world most anywhere else. I like RSL but can't ever see myself buying a Xango product. I like the Jazz, but Energy Solutions doesn't excite me. The way I see it is that sponsorships might be the difference between having a pro team and not in some markets like SLC. If these sponsors feel they are getting their money's worth, good for them. The only real complaint I have about it is, at least in soccer, if I don't know who the team is, it takes some work to figure out who they are because the team logos they do have are not sufficiently prominent. That goes for Real Madrid, Manchester United, and anyone else. It's even worse when sponsors change. Aon? Fly Emirates? bwin? Carlsberg? It's all really annoying.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    April 2, 2012 10:02 a.m.

It's inevitable, even college teams wear the nike logo. There are sponsor's logos surrounding the NBA court and that of other professional leagues including the NHL. It would take negotiations with the NBA Players Association, but I expect that it is destined to happen in conjunction with the next labor contract signing.

• milhouse Atlanta, GA
    April 2, 2012 9:56 a.m.

I don't have a problem with this. Is there something non-materialistic about professional sports they would be upsetting? Cheer for your alma mater if you want cheer for people who at least pretend not to be interested in money.

The bigger issue, from my view, is what about athletes' individual sponsorship deals. What if Gordon Hayward has a contract to promote Gatorade, but Powerade buys the logos on the Jazz jerseys? It is not hard to imagine competitor conflicts. Other leagues that have direct team sponsorship do not allow their athletes to sign individual endorsement deals. If this proposal goes much further, I predict a strike.

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    April 2, 2012 6:41 a.m.

Is this an April fools joke?

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    April 2, 2012 5:54 a.m.

Professional sports belongs to the corporations, so you might as well put corporate logos on the uniforms. The fans are nothing more than an afterthought. Our passion and our devotion mean little as the dollars we spend on tickets and apparrel can't match the dollar of big business.

• jazz4ever San Mateo, CA
    April 2, 2012 1:39 a.m.

Bad idea! I hope they wont do it. Maybe fans may give up following a team because a company they dislike is the main sponsor and its name is plastered all over the players and fans jerseys!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 1, 2012 11:19 p.m.

This just doesn't seem far fetched enough to be the april fools story. Even if it is I suspect this is inevitable. If we can name a stadium after a company we can name an individual so.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 1, 2012 9:24 p.m.

Can't imagine the uniforms looking worse than the green uniforms the Jazz used last night. Brutally ugly.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    April 1, 2012 8:57 p.m.

The uniforms wil look trashy just like Euro leagues. Unfortunately this might be the direction we are heading.

• rok San Diego, CA
    April 1, 2012 8:42 p.m.

Obviously this is an April Fools story.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    April 1, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Sickening greed thats all! Just a cotinuation of the rapid thievery in all pro sports today and I for one will not buy it, I can do just fine without pro sports thank you!

• zabivka Orem, UT
    April 1, 2012 5:28 p.m.

@John--It's capitalism, and greed its necessary motivator. Every economic system has its pros and cons, and advertisements plastered on nearly everything is one of the drawbacks of capitalism.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    April 1, 2012 5:07 p.m.

Does NBA greed know no bounds? Is it not enough to price the average fan out of attending? It is disgraceful that the NBA is even considering putting advertisements on uniforms.

If the NBA lowers itself into the gutter of greed by going through with this plan, it will be sending a message that it couldn't care less about true basketball fans.

I call on all patriotic Americans to watch this issue closely. If the NBA takes this action all of America must boycott this league in its entirety.