Republicans wish Mitt Romney would open up more, New York Times writer says

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    March 30, 2012 7:37 p.m.

The last thing Romney is wants is people knowing about his life. To steal Ann Richards' line, Mitt was born on third place and thought he hit a triple.

• UtahCentrist Salt Lake City, UT
    March 30, 2012 4:58 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

I believe he wrote a whole book on his life as a community organizer called "Dreams from My Father" and one about his time in congress called "The Audacity of Hope"

You might not like those books or what they contain since they don't paint the horribly secretive conspiratorial view of Obama that you imply, but they still are two whole books on his life.

When will people stop equating their own personal lack of knowledge with the lack of information being available? Just because someone personally didn't know anything about Obama before his election doesn't mean the information wasn't out there.

I know, I know. Reading is tough. It's much easier to have information simplified and spoon fed by Fox News or MSNBC. Doing ones own research and coming to ones own conclusions is so hard and passe.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    March 30, 2012 4:39 p.m.

How much of Obama's personal life did Obama tell us? They didn't ask for it (probably because it would have yielded a similar result). It sounds like the media is looking for more ammo.

• UtahCentrist Salt Lake City, UT
    March 30, 2012 4:18 p.m.

Another thing. When and if Mitt Romney is elected president, I want to hear no complaining from Republicans about anyone lacking respect toward then President Romney.

Ever since Obama was elected conservatives have been falling all over themselves to heap as much scorn ans disrespect upon President Obama. There is plenty of it right here in this thread. That's their right, of course, but it will laughably hypocritical if there is any whining about viscous smears and attacks aimed at Mr. Romney.

You reap what you sow, and Republicans have sown 4 years of divisive, petty, partisan rhetoric and have shown their utter disrespect for the office of the presidency when it's not their guy. They have no room to complain when Mitt Romney is attacked and ripped apart from every possible angle.

• UtahCentrist Salt Lake City, UT
    March 30, 2012 4:10 p.m.

CWEB

How is expensive gas Obama's fault exactly? Because it seems to me that gas is high because of market conditions, not Obama's policy choices.

Oil prices are high because of record high demand from China and India. Also, middle east tensions, specifically the drum beat of war with Iran, is causing instability in the market and driving prices up. Now, if we want to blame politicians for driving up prices because of their war rhetoric, it is the REPUBLICANS who are constantly talking of war with Iran. If anything, Obama is trying to back away from talk of war with Iran. Bombing or going to war and bombing one of the biggest oil producers in the world will cause gas prices to skyrocket, and yet, Obama seems to be the only US politician who ISN'T gung-ho about war with Iran.

Faulting Obama for price fluctuations due to supply and demand makes no logical sense. But hey, don't let the reality of market economics get in the way of blaming Obama...

• CWEB Orem, UT
    March 30, 2012 3:03 p.m.

People talk about how horrible that Romney has friends that own NFL teams, and NASCAR racers, etc...well, we are talking about electing a man to roam the world and sit with Kings and Queens, magistrates, dictators,Princes, Prime Ministers, and the like..."Oh, but Romney doesn't relate to the common man" Do you really want him to? I mean, I believe he can, just fine, but elect a dimwit when it comes to meeting with wealthy, dignified or evil men, and I think a man in Romney's shoes will know just how to carry himself, and he'll know when to tighten the fist, or graciously deal with Kings. If you think he is too wealthy and disassociated to be president, well, maybe we should elect a corner gas station attendant, he knows what it is like to be broke. Or maybe an inexperienced community organizer...oh wait, we did that...it isn't the gas station attendant's fault gas is crawling near $5 a gallon...that would be the dimwit, inexperienced community organizer's fault! Let's elect HIM again.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    March 30, 2012 2:23 p.m.

The house is on fire. I don't NEED to know a lot about the personal life of the Fire Chief, only that he is competent.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    March 30, 2012 1:39 p.m.

I met Romney when he was here for the Olympics, short meeting, but I found him very stiff and deliberate. That's not to say he has no heart, he cared an awful lot about the people he worked with, and about the people of SLC having a great experience. His style is just analytical. He processes all sides and makes decisions that are best for the whole, not a splinter group, or the loudest voice. He really does have the capacity to look at an organization and say: "what will make this work? What is the best way to reward the people who have been willing to work hard?" I think he comes off stiff because he is constantly evaluating the situation. His conservative principles of personal accountability and hard work are what we need right now.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    March 30, 2012 1:26 p.m.

I have several personality traits and character flaws that I believe would make me a lousy president. I don't want the President to identify with me. I want him to do a better job than I would as President. I want him to represent me, not be me!

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    March 30, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Thanks gramma b, I think my perspective may have been misguided by the craftiness of the mainstream media. They seem to always show Mitt in awkward moments, and they never miss anytime he misspeaks. Regarding his faith, I think he has shown a sacred respect for his beliefs and for those of others. Those who fault him for Romneycare fail to realize he was working with a democratic legislature on behalf of the democratic majority citizenry of Massachusetts, and gave them what they wanted for their state, not what he wanted. That is an example of someone who understands his stewardship and governs as a servant to his constituency.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    March 30, 2012 12:18 p.m.

no fit in st george: All Religions ask for faith! No conspiracy here except you may not like Mormons! Nothing new from you here!

Romney gave away all the wealth his parents gave him. HE earned it! He worked for it just like many of are doing instead of gripping about someone else's good fortune!

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    March 30, 2012 12:14 p.m.

"any tiny particle of information that falls from his lips turns into late night fodder and constant bashing."

It's absolutely true. The second Romney were to get elected, within days a video would no doubt "surface" that would tell of conspiracy and deception. This video would show Romney and President Monson and likely ask 'who is really going to run this country?' It would be based on no factual evidence or rational and purely based on appealing to people's fear about what they do not understand.

Any degree of opening up would not be any different. Romney not being open may not be the best tactic to win the election instead of Obama- but it would be the wisest and most presidential thing he could do. Romney needs to focus on Romney. I'm sure 'what appeals to people' is on his mind, but I'd rather have a president who was genuine and not guided solely based on popular appeal. So far Romney has held up a wall around Mitt and spoken only about the hypothetical "President Romney". Win or lose, I'd rather that not change.

• silkywiley Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 30, 2012 12:00 p.m.

In my professional career, my favorite CEOs were competent, dignified and sometmes aloof. I preferred substance over flash. In fact give me a ... over Mr. Charm.

• gramma b Orem, UT
    March 30, 2012 11:48 a.m.

Igualmente. A couple of years ago, when he showed up with one of his sons after the fire near San Diego, to help a homeowner clean up fire damage, he looked very natural in jeans and a t-shirt. And, there were no cameras there, just one of the neighbors who had a cell phone and took a couple of unposed pictures. He is not "plastic." He is highly intelligent and reserved. He succeeds, not by being a hail-fellow-well-met, but by being extremely competent and hard working. I consider that a plus.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    March 30, 2012 11:37 a.m.

He definitely has to drop his plastic persona a little to show some humanity that folks can relate to. I cringed at his posture in the debates to frozenly face the other candidates when they spoke, instead of facing forward like all the others. And while all the other candidates are on the campaign trail in jacket and ties, he is overwhelmingly seen tieless and in those mom-jeans. He just doesn't look natural in jeans..

• gramma b Orem, UT
    March 30, 2012 11:32 a.m.

So, he is reserved and dignified. That is the way he has lived his life. So what? He is also incredibly capable. As Jack Welch said a few weeks ago, he may be the most talented person ever to seek the presidency. When did it become a qualification for the presidency that one had to have some kind of TV game show host personality? That is just stupid.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    March 30, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Romney is a good looking, wealthy man. Because of his back round he has been able to have a life most of the world cannot possibly even dream of. Because of this, he can do whatever his heart desires. We do know that Romney has desired the highest political office in the world. What is left for one such a Romney to obtain? Apparently, he feels this is the cherry on the top of his hot fudge sundae.
    Mitt falls into a category such as Donald Trump and other flamboyant mega wealthy individuals. Many "fans" of the "rich and famous" demand knowing the past of their idols. Romney has had opportunities to share with the public, but, for some reason, he has chosen to be secretive about much of his life.
    LDS people see much of this in their religion. Mormons are frequently asked to have faith on an issue. This is the only answer they have on much of their theological questions.

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    March 30, 2012 10:44 a.m.

That's what I like about Romney. He's professional. I don't need to feel like I know him. I don't need to be reassured that he's just an average Joe. He doesn't need to be "one of us". I don't need to hear any sob stories about what adversities he faced to "Humanize" him. I don't need to hear that his father was a blue coller worker and that he "lifted himself up by the bootstraps".

Ronmny is a successful businessman, even more than his father. Growing up poor is not a virtue; growing up rich is not a vice. He is better than the 99%. That's what you want in a president: Someone who stands out as exceptional amoung the over 300 million Americans.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    March 30, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Ditto deep in thought ....

What more do people want to know other than he has been a hard working husband and father, a successful CEO and governor, and has been married to one woman for over 40 years! It’s very rare in American politics, for a president (if he wins) to have such skills and experience - both in business and in politics, plus character. Perfect combination for a leader at this critical time for America.

Or, maybe they missed perhaps the worst thing Romney’s ever done - smoked a cigarette or two. Obama smoked too, only something quite different. And look what we got!

• deep in thought Salt Lake, UT
    March 30, 2012 9:58 a.m.

And if he did, here's how it would go...

"I grew up in Michigan, my dad was president of a car company."

Response - You rich kid, you are the 1% you don't understand us.

"I am a Mormon, I served an LDS mission."

Response - What do you think about blacks in the Priesthood! Or how about this obscure Brigham young quote from 200 years ago?!

I understand why he keeps to himself, I find that any tiny particle of information that falls from his lips turns into late night fodder and constant bashing. They just ripped him a new one for talking about his dad closing a car plant and moving it to Wisconsin. He was trying to share a personal story with the people of Wisconsin and he got bashed for EVER having closed a car plant. (The nerve!) Of course a liberal paper wants him to delve into personal issues!