Many hands help with not-so-typical baptism

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    March 20, 2012 5:42 p.m.

When our new chapel was being built ten or so years ago, the superintendent of the construction had to respond to building inspectors who wondered how an impaired person was to be able to access the baptismal font --- he wasn't a member and gave a humorous answer which the inspector accepted.

I'm refreshed to know how it actually works when such a baptism is performed. Thanks for the story.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 19, 2012 1:22 a.m.

Elder Foley, I am not sorry to hear about Bobby Merritt's passing, that may sound cold, but it isn't meant that way. I am happy for him, to know that he can now walk and he is without pain. When my husband died, yes there was a void and I missed him, but I was also so happy for him to know that he was in a good place. Cliff has given these friends a great gift and they were blessed to enjoy that gift briefly here on earth, but it is the beginning of an Eternal gift. I do hope that Cliff will feel the peace and comfort of knowing that both of these friends are now themselves taking the knowledge and blessings he shared with them to other people who have passed on.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 18, 2012 9:46 p.m.

This story brings memories of two very special baptisms in my life. The first was on my mission, we met a lady in the hospital that had crippling arthritis, she had fallen and was in a body cast. She accepted the Gospel and we just didn't know how she was going to be baptized. I can't remember if it was 7 or 9 men, but she sat in her wheelchair with a sheet under her. Once in the water, they laid her out flat above the water on the sheet and baptized her this way, of course she was now out of the cast. I named my daughter after her, when my daughter was close to eight years of age, she wrote a letter to our bishop and said, "I wish that my daddy could baptize me". We had always planned for her grandpa to do this, cause her dad was in a wheelchair. We put him in his wheel in shower chair and she practiced with him at home and he was able to perform her baptism. So thanks for sharing this story, it brought back memories from 1976 and 1989 that like these men, showed courage and faith.

• Elder Foley Laie, HI
    March 18, 2012 6:02 p.m.

I'm very sorry to report that Robert "Bobby" Merritt passed away this morning. We will miss seeing him in his wheelchair next to CLiff's in the Lincoln (Tacoma) Ward.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    March 18, 2012 4:38 p.m.

Great article. It's too bad that this convert has a 65% chance of going inactive. We need to do a much better job keeping our converts active and involved.

• dotp POTEAU, OK
    March 18, 2012 4:05 p.m.

I visit teach a sister who is currently in a nursing home locally for physical therapy. I am going to share this story with her. She has such a beautiful testimony and such love for the other patients in the nursing home. I will also share it with the elders serving in our area. This is a wonderfully inspiring article. Thanks for posting it.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    March 18, 2012 11:20 a.m.

What an inspiring story. Thank you.

• jkcook Petersaurach, Germany
    March 18, 2012 9:09 a.m.

This is so cool. Would that our elderly sister had roommates! She was instrumental in teaching one of the staff at her home. Discussing this article with my husband, we were curious, do missionaries ever go door-to-door in a nursing/retirement home, or just teach those, as in this case, who ask for the lessons?

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    March 18, 2012 7:40 a.m.

ÂThis was an amazing baptism, Elder White said." yes brother! awesome story, thanks for sharing such an inspiring story.