Off duty deputy shoots, kills two dogs on his property, claims protecting livestock

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    March 6, 2012 11:55 a.m.

AFletcher writes: "If something is allowed under the law, it doesn't always mean that a decent person would follow through with it."

It sounds like you finally agree that the deputy sheriff did something lawful and have decided to question the morality of his action. Personally I think the officer should get a commendation for accuracy.

• Slushfund Lost in Northeastern Utarh, UT
    March 6, 2012 11:17 a.m.

This should come as NO SURPRISE to any dog owner in rural Utah.....dog running free in county equates to a dead dog. To much $$$ at risk. I live right on the edge of the city / county line.
    When I have had a dog I kept him confined. Yes, they have gotten out. They were lucky I found them quickly. The way I feel about it, I would rather have a farmer shot my dogs than to be be liable for live stock destroyed by them.

Love your dog, keep him home.

• AFletcher Moscow, Idaho
    March 6, 2012 10:50 a.m.

@Flying Finn:If something is allowed under the law, it doesn't always mean that a decent person would follow through with it.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    March 6, 2012 10:31 a.m.

AFletcher writes: "I wouldn't trust anything the cop said, absent independent corroboration."

Sounds like somebody wound up on the wrong side of the law and lost. The police are going to win the argument and the wise man makes it a point to see things their way. It just makes life so much easier.

• AFletcher Moscow, Idaho
    March 6, 2012 10:16 a.m.

@Rifleman:of course he's holding all the aces, impunity and all.
    Corroboration would be needed to help determine if the deputy really had to kill the dogs, or
    if he killed them because he wanted to.

• fish8 Vernal, UT
    March 6, 2012 9:51 a.m.

A word of warning to dog owners. It's spring and there will be many baby animals being born. Most farmers will shoot your dog that is on their property bothering their animals. They won't wait to see if the dog is going to kill his animal or is just PLAYING with it. A farmer spends thousands of dollers putting up fences to keep his animals on his land, a dog owner needs to spend some money also to keep their dog on their property.
    This lady says the turkey came on to her land and her dogs followed it back onto the other property. If this is true then she watched her dogs leave her land and did nothing to stop them.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 6, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Re: AFletcher

All the "independent corroboration" the investigating police will need is the blood marking the spot where the dead dog was found, and if it is on the deputy sheriff's property the case will be closed. If I owned a dog and lived around that officer's home I think I'd go way out of my way to be sure my dog didn't go after his turkeys.

If I were a betting man I'd put my money on this deputy sheriff. He's holding all the aces.

• AFletcher Moscow, Idaho
    March 6, 2012 6:51 a.m.

@Rifleman: the dead dog would provide "independent corroboration" if it could wake up and talk about what happened.If you are able to talk to dead animals, more power to you.

• tabuno Clearfield, UT
    March 5, 2012 10:18 p.m.

It's really compelling how the news media can influence the public. When Channel Two news at 10 p.m. reported the same incident useing pictures and the word "puppy" it seems to change the whole tone of the incident from dogs attacking to puppy pawing turkey and an qualified weapons expert killing a puppy over a turkey. Depending on which news presentation one believes, it really changes how the audience may react to and take a position on the same event. Stay turned to your newspaper or local television network.

• michelliebean Murray, UT
    March 5, 2012 8:14 p.m.

This man has shot dogs dead on his property before. The dogs were a LHASA and an 8 MONTH OLD BEAGLE!!!! How much possible damage could they be doing to a full grown turkey?? If the man were afraid for the life of his turkey why didn't he take it to the vet? Why in the world didn't he just chase the dogs off instead of putting bullets in their heads?? Also the dogs were trained not to bother chickens so they couldn't have been doing too much damage! I think it is appalling that a deputy sherriff's first choice is to kill. Scares me!!!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 5, 2012 6:12 p.m.

Re: AFletcher 5:24 p.m. March 5, 2012
    "I wouldn't trust anything the cop said, absent independent corroboration."

The one dead dog on the officer's property is all the independent corroboration that is needed. Whether you would or wouldn't trust what the officer said is moot. If I were a thief I'm reasonably certain I'd look elsewhere for an easier mark.

• AFletcher Moscow, Idaho
    March 5, 2012 5:24 p.m.

I wouldn't trust anything the cop said, absent independent corroboration.

• fish8 Vernal, UT
    March 5, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Dogs will leave your property if not confined. If you really love your pets you will keep them on your property. Just another pet owner not willing to accept responsibilty for their actions.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 5, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Sounds like even in rural Utah you have to keep your dogs trained or restrained so they don't get into trouble. Dogs have natural tendencies. Even on farms they need to be trained or restrained by their owners, or the neighbors end up having to do what they need to do to protect their propoerty.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    March 5, 2012 2:37 p.m.

When in public, keep your dogs on a leash. When at home keep your dogs on your property.

How hard is that... really?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 5, 2012 2:31 p.m.

"Powers contended the dogs were only "pawing" at the turkey because they were curious and wanted to play with it"

Maybe the turkey didn't want to play. Regardless, the two neighbors won't be on speaking terms in the future.