High school football: Parry's Power Guide for Week 3

• Bench Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2017 1:58 p.m.

From what I understand, two years ago Herriman turned the sprinklers on Bingham and some of the coaches were very fired up. The same coaches are there and have not forgotten. I expect a complete domination by the Miners. Herriman will easily make the playoffs and I predict they get the #2 seed from a weak Region 3. East will run away with the region with WJ, Taylorsville and Riverton fighting for 3 & 4. I hate to admit it, but I think it will be Riverton who doesn't make it. As usual Copper Hills will be last. Look on the bright side Grizzlies, you got a win this year, which is 1 more than Westlake will have.

• WTDM5 utah county, UT
    Aug. 31, 2017 4:11 p.m.

@golden helmet

I will be shocked if you are even close on any of your predictions.

@sorryboutdat

Herriman has more talent than the teams they've played? In what universe? Lone Peak has a lot to figure out this season as a team, and Lone Peak still controlled the entire game. Herriman had 104 total offensive yards against Helix. If Herriman had more talent, they'd be more productive than that regardless of coaching. Bingham will take it to Herriman this week, and Herriman will probably lose to American Fork next week putting them at 0-4. Luckily for them, Copper Hills and Riverton are in their region or Herriman wouldn't even make the playoffs this year.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2017 3:09 p.m.

I laughed when I read what Golden Helmet wrote about Bingham "reminiscing about last week's statement game". Bingham took that game for what it was, the second game of the season.
    No more, no less. The Miners are focused on this week, this game, this opponent. Beating East was satisfying but it won't help against Herriman.

Sorryboutdat, you say Herriman is better than the teams they lost against.
    The better team usually wins.
    Since John Lambourne took over as the head coach at Bingham the Miners have a record of 27-1 against Utah teams, 27-3 overall. The Miners have generally been the better team.

• Sorryboutdat south jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2017 12:21 p.m.

Herriman has more talent than everyone they have been losing too. It will be the case all year until they keep teams honest. They always have great lines on both sides of the ball. They are a very defensive minded team. They have offensive guys most teams would only dream of having. If they can ever figure the both out this would be theirs for the taking. Bingham gets the most out of what they have. I was impressed with them winning the line of scrimmage vs east. I dont expect the same against Herrimans line. Its the lack of ability to spread the field for Herriman that will continue to cost them. They should be ready about playoff time as usual.

• Rusty Shackleford Layton, UT
    Aug. 31, 2017 7:07 a.m.

@Golden Helmet

I too like to follow high school football for entertainment purposes. I have to say I think you are way off on your predictions. Especially on Bingham-Herriman. East viewed last weeks game as a statement game and had it as the focus of their season since Bingham was selected to play St Thomas Aguinis in December. Bingham viewed it as the second game of the season. Bingham kept that in perspective and will keep this game in perspective.

If you remember, last year Herriman was coming off of a state championship and Bingham dismantled them 45-0 in week two. My prediction is that this game will have a result much closer to what happened last year than to what you predict.

• Golden Helmet Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2017 10:18 p.m.

I would like to offer my predictions on a handful of Salt Lake area teams. I am not Nostradamus, nor am I a soothsayer. I just like following high school football. For entertainment purposes only.

Alta vs T Ville: both teams feature a great QB and a high - octane offense. One major difference, coaching. A lot of points will be scored in this game...by Alta. Hawks 59 Warriors 10

Bingham vs Herriman: Herriman is full of talent. Something has been off. Don't be surprised by their opponent reminiscing about last week's statement game. Herriman 26 Bingham 25

Olympus vs Brighton: Because of a deep seated disdain for my HS rivals, I've never been a fan of the Titans. But they are putting up points, just not against teams as good as the Bengals. They'll continue to score, but Brighton will come out on top. Brighton 32 Olympus 11

West vs WX: the former Skyline coach will continue his magic at West High. It will be good for the Panthers, not so much for the fellas from WX. Panthers 56 WX 12

Skyline vs Juan Diego: the Eagles are tough this year. They will continue to stay under the radar, but Juan Diego won't be happy. In Erekson we trust. Skyline 37 JD 8