Boy Scouts face renewed push to let girls join the ranks

• SilentArcher Houston, TX
    May 9, 2017 9:14 a.m.

So... an all-girl, girl-led, girl-friendly environment because "girls learn best in [that] environment" is empowering, but an all-boy, boy-led, boy-friendly environment is discriminatory.

No mention of whether the same organizations pressing the BSA to include girls are also pressing the GSUSA to include boys.

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    May 5, 2017 3:11 p.m.

I am a lifelong LDS scouter here. I am the father of two boys and two girls. We are all super active in the Church. And can I just say this, "It is about time."

The scouting program is an AMAZING program. Many prophets have called it divinely inspired. LImiting such a program to only young men -- who more than half the time take it for granted I am afraid to say -- is a true LOST opportunity. And, no, girl scouts isn't the same thing nor is that program even remotely similar.

The new Venturing Program is FANTASTIC for both young men and women. But, sadly, it appears to me that most all stakes and wards refuse to implement it even remotely properly for their young men.

In any case, it is time to implement BSA for all of our youth. Young women increasingly go on missions. Young women increasingly enter the workforce. And, sadly, young women increasingly raise children in single parent homes. Like it or not, the skills in scouting are necessary for our young women to learn, not just our young men. And, aside from scouting, the youth programs of the Church have failed our youth. I don't have the space to go into the data or the numbers, but scouting creates leaders, period.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Feb. 14, 2017 10:05 a.m.

@misanthrope - sl, UT

"The point of the Boy Scouts was to raise men, not adults."

I agree

@JSB - Sugar City, ID

"This is getting really confusing. Is a steer a cow? What if you sew an udder on a steer and paint it's horns pink, then is it a cow? What if you psychoanalyze a steer and it feels like a cow. Then is it a cow?"

Quit trying to logical and rational. It has no affect on NOW.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 10:13 p.m.

I hope the girls get in. Sometimes things have to worsen until change finally happens.

• Go West Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2017 8:35 a.m.

An alternative to joining the BSA, if getting an Eagle Scout award is her goal, is to grow up, get married, have a son, and push him to get his Eagle Scout award. Often it's the mothers who really earn the BSA badges. But don't the Girl Scouts have an equivalent award to an Eagle? I'm a woman and should know these things but I don't. At any rate, 1st Baron Robert Baden-Powell might be spinning in his grave.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 11:39 p.m.

So boys will be allowed in Girl Scouts then??

• worf McAllen, TX
    Feb. 9, 2017 11:11 p.m.

Crazy! Now the Boy Scouts will be selling cookies.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Feb. 9, 2017 8:33 p.m.

Boy scouts was (was: past tense) for boys. If girls want to participate in boy scout things, then I guess that the girl scouts is failing them and it has not evolved. Maybe they could do rappelling instead of selling cookies. They should change and adapt for the needs of girls.

In any event, I was a volunteer at a boy scout first aid competition. They had a group of girl scouts in there who also competed.

When a scenario was given to the boy scouts, the boy scout troop would portion off the different parts to different boys for which each was individually responsible for.

When a scenario was given to the girl scouts, they would collectively work on all the parts together.

Boy scouts are to be tailored to needs of adolescent boys who are developing into men. If they get into a watered-down scouts organization, the organization is not going to be tailored for their needs.

This will be one more example of how society is failing boys.

• mikemarine Parker, AZ
    Feb. 9, 2017 7:36 p.m.

At what point does the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints abandon this ridiculous travesty of a program and REALLY initiate a world wide program for the youth, young men and young women, of the Church. Friends of Scouting are drying up from members. I have two Eagle Scout sons and I refuse to support this aberration of a program. First BSA said the Church would face no legal repercussion on retaining their strict standards and then BSA comes back saying they will recompense any legal expenses if we are sued. Which is correct? Safety or help if sued, saying nothing about the suit being lost! Once the Supreme Court ruled I thought all was well, but the mob will have it's way and the walls of a great, traditional program for young men cannot withstand the world. It truly is sad. First Gay, then Transgender and now Young Women. If I put on an application I'm 18 can I get in? Wait, no way......I'm a biological, hormonal, traditional male....it's too late for me.

• Cutedog Rupert, ID
    Feb. 9, 2017 6:53 p.m.

What is wrong with being a girl? The feminist movement seems determined that femininity is a bad word. Can't girls be girls and boys be boys anymore, or must girls be like boys to matter?

Boy Scouts is for boys. It was created to help boys develop into men. Do we have to develop our girls into men now too?

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Feb. 9, 2017 5:53 p.m.

Girls may learn best in girl led troops, so let them do so! It is too late for my daughters as they are now too old, but they did repeatedly ask me why there was no organization like Boy Scouts for them. And, they did try all the local alternatives and were not happy.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Feb. 9, 2017 5:01 p.m.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 4:08 p.m.

This is getting silly...

• worf McAllen, TX
    Feb. 9, 2017 3:17 p.m.

Anything goes.

• The_Whales_Blowhole Tooele, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 3:16 p.m.

@Pac 12

Exactly my thought. On the upside, less Girl Scouts means less donations from them to Planned Parenthood. Downside, less Girl Scouts means less availability of Girl Scout cookies. Hmm.....tough call.....

• misanthrope sl, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 3:14 p.m.

Transgender 'boys' are girls, therefore the ban on allowing girls to join has already been lifted.
    I have yet to hear what the LDS church is going to do now that this final step has been taken. The point of the Boy Scouts was to raise men, not adults.

• Summit Park City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 2:08 p.m.

Identity (or lack of) seems to be a HUGE deal to many people. That is because it is a HUGE deal. However, if you chisel away at organizations around you to remove identity, the organization ultimately becomes faceless. A faceless organization no longer stands for anything, and won't help you find your own identity.

Better to find good organizations that can help you with the identity you desire, than to chisel good organizations into nothing.

Boy scouts is fine just handling boys. Girl scouts is fine just handling girls. If you want a coed scouts or "scouts" then that is fine too. Find one to join, or start one, but don't destroy the boy scouts or girl scouts in the process. Let them have identity.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Feb. 9, 2017 2:01 p.m.

@Thrive
    Typically YW recieves a larger budget than YM and their camps typically cost less. At least that was my experience as a Clerk out here in Michigan

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 2:00 p.m.

Let's just call them Scouts.

Women and men work together in the real world including police/fire departments, and the military.

Seems silly to keep them separated ( I mean except for the tents when out on camping trips)

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 1:53 p.m.

"The benefit of a single-gender program is a priority" states a scout executive. Well, that is gone with allowing transgender individuals into scouting.

One answer is potentially relatively easy. Anyone who wants their girls to join the boy scouts, just have your girls claim that they "feel like a boy" for an hour once a week and when other activities occur. Anyone who identifies as a boy is now admitted. Are scouting executives actually surprised that girls now want to join?

In my personal opinion, it is silly to allow transgender individuals into scouting and not allow girls. Scouting is fast becoming a mere shadow of what it once was and will soon be unrecognizable.

• Thrive Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 1:47 p.m.

Co-ed scouting programs are common in other countries. It can certainly work! I remember being SO jealous of the scouts as a young girl. Their activities were so much better, had award programs, etc. Activities days and Young Womens programs can be so boring and underfunded compared to the boys.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Feb. 9, 2017 1:28 p.m.

Evidently she can say she "identifies" as a boy and they'll admit her. So whattsa problem?

I've been involved with Scouting for 50 years. Currently I'm a cubmaster; my granddaughter, age 10, attends almost every week. Occasionally she's disappointed, like at the recent Pinewood Derby when she wanted to build a car and race, but couldn't. (Cubs only.) But we all deal with disappointments from time to time, don't we?

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

• fight4liberty Herriman, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 1:10 p.m.

Yes, lets let the feminists into the boys scouts. Any bets on how long it will be before the boy, in boy scouts will dissappear?

The feminists movement to emasculate men and make them dissappear, is not a praiseworthy movement!

The destruction of humanity needs to stop!

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 12:59 p.m.

Is no one going to address this sexist comment? "We know that girls learn best in an all-girl, girl-led environment," Bastiani Archibald said. "

• Pac 12 Champion Utah Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2017 12:18 p.m.

They already have let girls join the ranks. Any girl can simply check the box next to boy and she's in.