Deseret News video: How Chaz Ah You went from not wearing BYU gear to landing in LaVell Edwards Stadium

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 3, 2017 10:27 p.m.

Bluto:

Times aren't really changing in Provo. Rivals ranked your class 63rd. Here's how you all have done since 2003:

2003 - #74
    2012 - #65
    2013 - #71
    2014 - #70
    2015 - #68
    2016 - #50
    2017 - #63

Now that you've seen your annual rankings, let's do some Math, shall we?

From 2003 thru 2016, your average class ranking was #63.5.

Your average class ranking since leaving the MWC in 2011 thru 2016 was #65.

Your average call ranking from 2003 thru your MWC swan song in 2010 was #62.4.

And in 2017, it was #63.

That doesn't look like "changing times" to me. That looks like "par for the course".

Don't ya just hate Math?

• Jump13 Kearns Utah, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 4:22 p.m.

I'm happy for this young man. Who cares about how he made his announcement. I think it will be pretty cool when he gets older and becomes a father to show his kids this video so he can do some fun natures bragging to his own. I hope he has a brilliant healthy career!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 11:08 a.m.

@ bluto: I wasn't "trying" anything, it was a question. Nice "try" for you to spin it the other way.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 9:50 a.m.

For all worried about how much it cost. The kid flew from Provo airport to BYU stadium, what maybe 10 miles tops, I am sure the cost was not that much.

Also, having known and spoken with many of Chaz's family, do any of you really find it to be a surprise that he chose BYU, especially now that his Dad is there. Chaz wanted to play in front of his family every week live rather than only a one or few times a year. He was never going anywhere. I remember when he was sold on UCLA, I knew it wouldn't last.

The kid played tough, grew, made commitments, worked hard and he is now a D1 Football player. More than I ever was and many of you I am sure also. Good luck to the kid, I hope he does well. After watching the interview, I hope also the kid decides to serve a mission, I think it would do him well.

Good luck to all who made those tough choices over the past few days and weeks. Hope they all find great success!

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Feb. 3, 2017 9:20 a.m.

bleacher report set it up for him and paid for it, that was already discussed a few days ago.

If you were 18 and got an offer for a helicopter ride into a stadium to be televised, wouldn't you take it up?

mocking him over this or acting like it's a bad thing that he did is ridiculous - I know that the Utes got some good recruits in terms of stars but the late matchups all went to BYU, it was 13 to 2 for instate players and BYU got who they wanted and needed - sour grapes.

I'm anxious to see Chaz on the field, I think he'll be a 3 year starter.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 9:18 a.m.

@Carnak and Chris B. i.e Pac 12

You guys need to stop setting your wigs on fire and just accept the fact that Ah You didn't want U! Or your Pac-12.

In fact, 5 of the top 10 players in Utah chose BYU. The rest went out of state.

Times are changing with Sitake and Co. and that is what really has you guys nervous.
    Enjoy.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 9:17 a.m.

@Carnak and Chris B. i.e Pac 12

Not only that, several other players flipped from the U to the Y. And when the top Utah players from Utah don't choose the Y, and want to play in the Pac, the trend is, they choose the actual Bluebloods of the Pac.....not U.

In fact, 5 of the top 10 players in Utah chose BYU. The rest wet out of state.

Enjoy.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 9:13 a.m.

p12

I am a Utah man and I live across the green...

with jealousy

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 9:06 a.m.

@Ernest T. Bass

Stop throwing rocks or we'll send Deputy Barney Fife to deal with you re-enroll you in Helen Crump's 6th grade..

Seriously, google can be your friend.
    Bleacher Report set the whole thing up and paid for it.
    Nice try.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Feb. 3, 2017 6:06 a.m.

Big deal. They didn't have to buy the chopper. Welcome to the team, kid.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:07 p.m.

Honest question: who paid for it? If it was byu or a booster wouldn't that be a violation? If it was his dad, byu pays a lot more than I imagined.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Feb. 2, 2017 8:27 p.m.

Showmanship. I could do with less, but I'm afraid we'll get more.

Bizarre that, who was it, Bleacher Report, hit this kid up to participate in this stunt? He didn't need any more promotion. Sitake says the buzz it created for BYU was okay, now it's time to settle down and play unselfish, high discipline, team-oriented football.

I did like the kid that featured the haka. Something about that stirs my blood.

• Wall St. Coug Dallas, TX
    Feb. 2, 2017 7:32 p.m.

Man every commentator on here sounds like a Taylor Swift song I know....."and the haters gonna hate, hate, hate." This kid was blessed with a tremendous talent and he felt inspired to go to BYU. Maybe something will happen there to him spiritually and/or physically that he wouldn't have been able to have experienced had he gone somewhere else. My wife and I and our kids are experiencing things here in Texas we never would have experienced staying in Utah. We're grateful we listened to the prompting we had to move and accept a job I was offered. Don't fault this kid. Pray for him. Pray for his family. Wish him well in life.

• mightymite , 00
    Feb. 2, 2017 2:40 p.m.

This is what is comes to? Little wonder why most kids cannot achieve there potential with this these types of hype and antics. Sad state of college sport in general and byu has seeped to a new low.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 1:18 p.m.

Daddy is on the football staff at BYU.

Anyone shocked that's where he went?

• Pac 12 Champion Utah Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 1:13 p.m.

I love the helicopter.

We're going to look back at this, like we now look at the press conference for Jake Heaps, Ross Apo. and the other guy.

The most attention these players will ever get in their careers(due to being on a bad program) will be their announcements.

Other teams prefer to show it on the field and point to the scoreboard

• MendonMick Mendon, UT