Holder: Snowden did 'service,' but should still be punished

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    June 1, 2016 12:18 p.m.

Hey Baccus0902 -

" . . . your questions make me wonder if Have we seen an increase in violent acts that somehow can be attributed to the Snowden revelations? "

. . . An increase? I don't know. I hope not. Many nations, including ours, are directing huge amounts of money, talent, and other resources to ensure a decrease of these terrorist acts.

But we do know several things:

Terrorists changed their standard operating procedures after they found out, from Snowden, how their activities were being tracked.

These terrorists and their organizations STILL commit acts of terrorism, don't they? . . . But now they are ARMED with KNOWLEDGE, delivered to them by Snowden . . . . Knowledge that makes their terrorist activities more difficult to prevent.

In other words, EVERY terrorist activity they have committed since Snowden's disclosure is in fact partially attributable to Snowden.

Snowden is without doubt a traitor to this nation.

• drich Green River, Utah
    May 31, 2016 6:58 p.m.

What about Mr.holder and fast and furious?

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    May 31, 2016 6:15 p.m.

GaryO

you wrote:
    "Since then, how many deaths by terrorism throughout the world can be at least indirectly attributed to Snowden? . . . How many massacres? . . . How many mutilations? . . . How many decapitations?"

I don't know the answers to your questions. Worse than that, your questions make me wonder if Have we seen an increase in violent acts that somehow can be attributed to the Snowden revelations? I don't know of any. But I would welcome the sharing of information.

From my point of view an American life is precious not because is American but because is human. With that perspective in mind, I wonder if the revelations made by Mr. Snowden may have prevented some of the things you dread outside of the borders of our country, saving precious human lives from different nationalities.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    May 31, 2016 1:43 p.m.

Hey Baccus0902 -

"Personally, I think history will remember him as citizen hero. As far as I am concerned he demonstrated true patriotism."

As far as YOU are concerned maybe . . . But in actuality Snowden is a TRAITOR to this nation, He CLEARLY gave aid and comfort to the enemy.

By letting the enemy know that the NSA was monitoring megadata and could track patterns of conversations between known terrorists . . .Terrorists simply CHANGED their methods to be INVISIBLE to our security apparatus.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    May 31, 2016 12:01 p.m.

Did people extend Sargent Bergdhal the same consideration?

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    May 31, 2016 8:28 a.m.

LOU:
    You wrote: "It is not known what information he did take and what he did share with Russia. "

Innocent until proven guilty. That is why we need to provide him with a "fair Trial" and not a witch hunt.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    May 31, 2016 8:12 a.m.

Baccus0902; I understand your position and true what he did do was to some degree good. He should have stayed here in America and stood up against the system.

Snowden did steal information about our national security and defected to Russia. It is not known what information he did take and what he did share with Russia. This is an act of treason. He put at risk our national security. This is not excusable.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    May 31, 2016 7:27 a.m.

@ LOU,

Please allow me to disagree. As a Democrat I believe we need to have a strong democratically elected government. A government designed to protect and lead the people of our nation. The government should "always" remain accountable to the people.

I opposed the phone tapping program initiated under President Bush and the Patriot Act surveillance program. This program was a coarse copy of a spying program of a totalitarian state.

This program was wrong under President Bush and was certainly wrong under President Obama.

IMHO Mr. Snowden should be allowed to come back to the U.S.A. with all necessary assurances that he will receive a fair trial.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    May 30, 2016 10:12 p.m.

No deals! He committed treason! I don't care who you are and what information you have about who is spying on who. You do not take our sensitive material and defect to Russia. No argument!

All you fist pounding conservatives should be outraged by his actions. You people want Sargent Burgdahl hung for treason when he abandon his post. Here you have a bonafide act of treason.

NO EXCUSES and NO DEALS.