Arrest of girl who texted in class prompts civil rights case

• Contrariuser mid-state, TN
    Oct. 29, 2015 10:31 a.m.

@worf --

"How would you have handled it?"

It's very simple.

Get two people. Pick up the chair with the student in it. Carry both out of the classroom.

Taa Daa.

No violence necessary.

Police should be trained to DE-escalate situations -- not escalate them.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 29, 2015 9:00 a.m.

@ Contrarius,

How would you have handled it?

Perhaps give her some money, and have promise not to misbehave?

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Oct. 29, 2015 8:01 a.m.

The officer's actions were extreme. However, the girl should also be held accountable for her disruption and resistance.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Oct. 28, 2015 8:29 p.m.

@worf --

"Pathetic when bad behavior is excepted."

Nobody is accepting (you mean accept, not except) the girl's behavior. But their were easy, nonviolent ways to deal with it.

Cops need to be trained in how to DE-escalate situations -- not just in how to escalate them.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 28, 2015 6:41 p.m.

When I was younger, my parents would have punished me for not obeying the teacher.

Pathetic when bad behavior is excepted. Whether it's a political candidate, or a high school student.

This reflects an entitled society.

Isn't this a nation of fools?

• CC Saint George, UT
    Oct. 28, 2015 12:39 p.m.

Nowhere in my comment did I condone the violence or excuse it.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2015 12:30 p.m.

@CC
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    Oct. 28, 2015 11:42 a.m.

Do ALL S.C. schools have hired bouncers to make sure the teachers' orders are enforced, or is it just schools with 16 year-old girl students?

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 28, 2015 10:13 a.m.

CC--No, I'm sure this is the fault of everyone else, but the student.

As one who, unlike you I'm sure--made my fair share of mistakes and doltish moves as an adolescent, I understand that the child should have done what she is told by the teacher. You aren't the first to figure that out. After that, a very large man slammed her backwards, just missing smashing her head on the desk behind her and then launched her across the floor. Two adults stood by and watched this cowardly act taking place and did absolutely nothing. So, not 'everyone else," but those three, anyway.

Once again---don't 'tell me' about how many good cops there are. 'Show me' the ones who arrest bad cops.

• Contrariusiest mid-state, TN
    Oct. 28, 2015 8:25 a.m.

@CC --

"NO, I'm sure this is all the fault of everyone else but the student."

The violence was absolutely inexcusable.

As other stories on this incident have noted, this sort of problem is common in schools -- and it absolutely can be solved without violence.

One easy solution: get two adults. Pick up the chair with the girl in it. Carry both outside.

Taa daa.

• CC Saint George, UT
    Oct. 28, 2015 7:37 a.m.

Maybe..Just maybe..The student could have followed the rules. Or perhaps, simply handed over the phone after breaking the rules. Outrageous to think that she could have sensed that when the administrator came in, maybe it was time to actually follow the rules. NO, I'm sure this is all the fault of everyone else but the student.