Deseret News Sports podcast: A look at the first weekend of college football in Utah

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 3, 2015 12:16 p.m.

Michigan starts with a cupcake. Basically a scrimmage.

Not until their fourth game, do they play a high quality team.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 2, 2015 1:15 p.m.

BYU wins this one. Hill is the difference.

Don't care what Utah does but I usually root for PAC vs B1G. Utah is Irrelevant to BYU, but good luck to them.

• Protecting This House Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2015 11:53 a.m.

Coug4Ever:

Nice. Royal Smurf Blue bias aside, Memorial Stadium will not be the cakewalk you're dreaming of. Those Huskers will be rabid. And that's just the fans. Don't pin your hopes of special season glory on one man. If Taysom goes down for the third time, it's going to be an even longer "special" season.

As for the Utes, it sounds like they're more prepared than you're prepared to give them credit for. Watch and learn. There is a difference. It's called the PAC 12 difference. It's called the Coach Whitt difference. It's been proven, he gets his teams prepared for openers, big games, and bowl games.

• DC Surfs ,
    Sept. 2, 2015 11:43 a.m.

I am not naive enough to think that BYU (without Williams as well as possibly 10 others suspended) will beat down Nebraska on Saturday. I'm mearily looking for a close game at this point with just a shell of a team on hand. Hope springs eternal.

In regards to the utes, if they had a solid QB, I would feel more optimistic if I were a ute fan. At least Kyle knows how to call a conservative game plan so his QB won't be able to make many mistakes. They basically just play a game of field position and wait for the other team to fail and then capitalize on it.

BYU 21 Neb 17

Utah 17 Mich 24

Roll both blues this weekend!

• Idaho forever South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2015 9:18 a.m.

"Cougar Forever"

I truly do not know what the Utes will do this week, but you really have your head in the sand with the BYU prediction. I've been to Lincoln Nebraska on a football Saturday. The Cougars are the "cupcake" that were not mentioned this week.

• Colorado is our rival Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 2, 2015 8:40 a.m.

"I've talked to a bunch of coaches. I can't find one who thinks they're going to win at Utah," ESPN's Adam Rittenberg told SportsCenter.

• Colorado is our rival Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 2, 2015 8:34 a.m.

Utah 33
    michigan 20

Nebraska 30
    byU 17

Utah's quest for the playoffs and pac 12 title is alive and well

and byU's season is - over!

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2015 3:07 a.m.

Predictions:

Michigan-Utah: For multiple reasons (that have nothing to do with Alex Smith) Jim Harbaugh is my least favorite coach in all of football and I would love to see Michigan go down on Thursday. However, I just don’t see it happening. Utah lost too much from last year’s team. Despite their recent stumbles, Michigan has had solid recruiting classes and Harbaugh is a genius, albeit an evil one. The boys from Ann Arbor take this one easily. Michigan 27, Utah 10.

BYU-Nebraska: Nebraska’s practices have been described by local media as “a mess” whereas BYU brings a potent offense and solid defense to the field. Most observers will be stunned that Taysom is back in form so quickly. Nebraska's new coach has his first home loss in Lincoln this Saturday and it’s not close. BYU 38, Nebraska 17.

SUU-USU: This isn’t even close to a fair contest. The Aggies will have their second team on the field by halftime. SUU 3, USU 41.