Man accused in lion death says he thought hunt was legal, relied on local guides

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    July 30, 2015 7:17 p.m.

@Liberal Ted

"I think it's interesting that the left is pushing this lion story."

And the DN is just pushing it because it's the hip thing to do?

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2015 2:50 p.m.

I always hated it when I was dragged along during hunting season. We would help look for the deer after it had been shot. I never tried very hard because I never wanted to see the animal die! I know we kill animals for food. I eat meat. If I had to kill the animal, I would probably become a vegetarian. It certainly isn't my place to judge, but I don't see how people get a thrill from killing? Seriously, does it give them a high or something? It is horrible to me. My neighbor threatened kill my little dogs and it took me a long time to calm down! Sometimes animals have to be put down, but you must admit, this kind of killing is pure selfishness!

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2015 12:03 p.m.

I think it's interesting that the left is pushing this lion story. Hoping that it will be covered more than the planned parenthood videos that are coming out.

Let's not forget the children being slaughtered in our own country.

• riverofsun St.George, UT
    July 30, 2015 11:55 a.m.

Apart from the senseless, cruel, and brutal killing of this beloved Lion, it appears the public worldwide is appalled at the difference between this hunter's professional and personal life.
    Minnesotans who live near his home and his dental practice, appear to be particularly surprised and upset.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2015 11:17 a.m.

Planned Parenthood murdered millions of babies and sold their body parts so "mommy can get a Lamborghini". Yet there is more news and uproar over the lion that was shot. I don't have a problem protecting endangered species. Let's get that out of the way. But how can we sit back and watch our government sponsor the slaughter of babies? Let's look at history and see what other nations systematically wiped out people (ie Nazis, Mao, Stalin) just to name some of the more well known.

It begs the question. Are we (The United States of America) any better than those groups? When we have slaughtered millions of children, all in the name of womens choice.

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 30, 2015 10:12 a.m.

Hunting for food is one thing, and I can understand that. On the other hand, why spend money and time to travel and kill something that you can't eat, that never bothered you, just because you enjoy killing things? If you want the thrill of the hunt, take a camera instead. A lot of your friends and guests would much rather see a large photo you took than an animal's head on your wall.

In this case, the hunt is turning out to be a very expensive one, as it may cost him his career.

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    July 30, 2015 8:06 a.m.

To bad he wasn't in Utah, he could have claimed he thought it was a coyote!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 29, 2015 6:29 p.m.

Why kill for sport?

• ThornBirds St.George, UT
    July 29, 2015 5:17 p.m.

Common sense is legal.
    Wonder why he didn't try that.

• SlickMick Ashburn, VA
    July 29, 2015 2:36 p.m.

Sounds like this dude is going to lose some business.