Raise your home's IQ: smart gadgets take center stage at CES

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 6, 2015 10:17 a.m.

Some here have commented that they would not install or use such devices. Well I guess they won't be needing their computer or the internet anytime soon. Perhaps they still get out of the car to open the garage during storms, or use a land line for communication, maybe they even use an ice box rather than a refrigerator. It is there choice. I don't know if all the ideas in this article will be widely adopted but some will and others will become common place and make life even better. Those of you who chose not to be using such devices have every right to refuse them. As for me I am looking forward to what the future might bring.

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 6, 2015 7:30 a.m.

The negative comments here could have been made about many of the things we now find commonplace. Remote control for television -- are you too lazy to get up and change channels? Cruise control in your car -- you can't be bothered to watch the speedometer? GPS devices -- didn't you ever learn to read a map? Cell phones -- you're so important that the world must be able to contact you every moment?

It's called progress, folks. The ideas that are helpful will become commonplace, and the ones we don't want will disappear into history. That's why we don't dress in hides, live in huts and use outhouses any more. And I've got to admit that there's a great deal of irony in people using computers and the Internet to complain about technological progress changing how they live. Why aren't they using a quill pen to write on parchment and delivering the letter on horseback?

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Jan. 5, 2015 6:37 p.m.

People with disabilities would benefit this. But I don't need it which I carry my garage remote control.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 5, 2015 5:58 p.m.

The coolest thing about wearable technology or smart home gadgets is the opportunity for hackers!

Can't wait until hackers mess with your watch or home!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 5, 2015 5:55 p.m.

I like my web enabled thermostat. It gives me peace of mind when no one is home for days; I know the heating system is running properly just by checking with my phone.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 5, 2015 2:21 p.m.

I would be happy if they could just invent a computer that couldn't be hacked.

Imagine a smart home that won't let you in when you get there because it needs to reboot (but you have to get inside to reboot it). Or a home access system that doesn't open the door when you get home, instead says it's been hacked and you no longer have access to the house and will call the police if you try to enter.

I wonder how often Bill Gates has to reboot his house...

All this technology is great... but it needs to be more secure first.

Even our government's systems get hacked hundreds of times every day, and they have the best security money can buy.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 5, 2015 9:02 a.m.

@Aaron S

40 years ago we didn't have the internet, but if we did, I imagine someone would have made a comment similar to yours about the copy machine.

"Is it so hard to just re-write the document you need a copy of? Can't a scribe make a copy (and won't break down)? Am I SO lazy that I can't use carbon paper? Has America really sunk to this level of decay?"

There was a time when our species didn't "need" indoor plumbing, electricity, or the telephone. But now that we do, aren't you glad? And can you imagine trying to function in society without them?

• Aaron S GREEN RIVER, WY
    Jan. 5, 2015 6:47 a.m.

God save us! This garbage does not make life better, only more expensive and more complicated. I've lived my entire life without such garbage and I wouldn't put these devices into my home, not if they were free. Invitation to laziness, filling up our landfills with "new" gadges which are outdated for some NEWer gadget before the year is out. Most of these devices are invented for the sole purpose of enticing people to spend money. Not one has REAL value. Is it so hard to push a button on a garage door remote? Doesn't a plain programmable thermostat raise the temperature (and can't be hacked)? Am I SO lazy I can't turn an oven on by hand? Has America really sunk to this level of decay?

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 5, 2015 5:31 a.m.

Very expensive toy that will never happen. Smart homes are too expensive and inconvenient for most people to function in. Why do you need you garage door to open before you get to your home? Why do you need your home to unlock the doors and turn the lights and heat or A/C on before you get home? While all this is happening when your not home its running up your eclectic bill and maintenance cost. The smart homes are convoluted in wasted electric devices the electric bill alone can keep you in the poor house. Its the kind of home for millionaires and billionaires to dream of and cost alone is prohibitive to install and use.

Smart gadgets have no function or reason and comparable to automatic bum wiping toilets. IQ best be left to peoples intelligence and not inanimate objects. Smart homes have been a dream since the 1960's and still not a doable building. Smart homes are too user dependent requiring hours of programing and preparation every day to be useful like the blinking VCR's and microwave displays no one can turn off.