Scott, Bale defend 'Exodus' casting

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    Dec. 12, 2014 8:02 p.m.

The second atheist to make a biblical epic. No offense to Hollywood, but there are people who understand the story better and see much more vision and potential in it. I wouldn't cast someone in a sci fi film if they hate sci fi. Their heart simply isn't in it. Therefore the production will suffer.

3D effects and battle aren't what make a film. Story is. Story is a craft, not a product.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Dec. 10, 2014 9:38 a.m.

It's a movie about what is probably a fictional person. Outside of the Bible, there is no archeological or historical evidence for Moses' existence or for the exodus. Even ISRAELI archeologists admit there is no evidence for the exodus. They looked for years and came up with zip, zilch, nada.

• Understands Math Lacey, WA
    Dec. 9, 2014 9:53 a.m.

@ThoughtNotDogma: "So the same people who were telling religious conservatives to "get a life, it's just a movie" when it came to how "Noah" portrayed that story... ...are now upset that the racial makeup of the cast may not accurately reflect the demographics of the region in which said fictional story didn't actually take place?"

Actually, no. You're thinking about two different groups of people.

The people who are annoyed with this film's casting were also annoyed with the casting in "Noah": Semitic characters being exclusively played by white characters of Western European heritage.

And as I've said before, it's not because of one particular film that people like me get upset. It's because it constantly happens. When non-white roles consistently get played by white actors, it's an act of erasure.

"Really. Get a life. If you don't like the movie, don't go. Change the channel, turn off the TV. Freedom of speech."

Yes, we do have the freedom of speech, which we exercise by talking about it.

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 9, 2014 9:43 a.m.

I have no interest in watching the movie. It has nothing to do with my religion or values. Frankly, the movie just doesn't look like it's worth my time or money. On the other hand, the Battle of Five Armies is coming soon after. I'd rather spend my time and money on the Hobbit.

• Thought not Dogma Hurricane, UT
    Dec. 8, 2014 11:31 p.m.

So the same people who were telling religious conservatives to "get a life, it's just a movie" when it came to how "Noah" portrayed that story, are now up in arms that a movie, based on events they don't believe happened, from a book they like to mock, are now upset that the racial makeup of the cast may not accurately reflect the demographics of the region in which said fictional story didn't actually take place?

Oh the horrors. The oppression. The guilt. The rich irony.

It's just a movie. It is entertainment. You don't need to go to a movie to have your social, political, or historic views validated anymore than those right wing religious people need a movie to validate their religious beliefs.

Really. Get a life. If you don't like the movie, don't go. Change the channel, turn off the TV. Freedom of speech. Yada Yada Yada.

• Laura Ann Layton, UT
    Dec. 8, 2014 10:42 p.m.

Well, sometimes there were black Egyptian pharaohs, but most of the time, they were light skinned. I believe that the Ramses Dynasty, in which these events took place, were light skinned, not black. Also, there is no way that Moses was dark. He was a Hebrew. His mother and father were Hebrew slaves. Anyway, with the way the events of the Bible have been portrayed lately in movies, it makes me laugh. They take so much liberty, that you can only tell that the story is from the Bible is that they use the names of Moses, Dinah, Jacob, Joseph,... Silly.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 8, 2014 4:36 p.m.

They should have gotten some of the big box office Egyptian actors to play Moses including...well let's see...give me a minute....

By the way Moses wasn't Egyptian remember - he was Hebrew and last time I checked they weren't black.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Dec. 8, 2014 11:30 a.m.

@Understands Math

That's really the root of the problem. I can't think of half a dozen middle eastern action stars. I really do think it's not something intentional but it is the status quo.

How many big name Jewish stars do you see in action movies? Jeff Goldblum as the snarky scientist? STEMS education has had this problem for decades and it has taken a large, purposeful effort to expand our demographics. I can't imagine a big movie studio doing that just to make their movies more accurate.

• Understands Math Lacey, WA
    Dec. 8, 2014 10:06 a.m.

"But director Ridley Scott has a message for those trying to boycott the movie: "I say, 'Get a life.'""

A white director telling people that they shouldn't take issue with white actors playing non-white characters.

If this film were an isolated case, it would be one thing, but Hollywood constantly casts white actors in non-white roles. It's always, "We need big name actors!"

...but how does someone become a big-name actor, if they don't get cast in films? It's a Catch-22.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Dec. 8, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Okay, if they have to pander to Middle Eastern ethnicity, why not cast that Bar-Rafeli chick as Moses? Sure, gender might be an issue.... but she would definitely look better than any guy they could get for the part!

• KDave Moab, UT
    Dec. 8, 2014 8:58 a.m.

It's a movie not a documentary. If they made it authentic no-one would pay to see it.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Dec. 8, 2014 8:56 a.m.

@liberty or...

I really doubt that they picked Christian Bale due to white guilt. More likely they picked a big name action/epic movie star because it's a big budget action/epic movie. Movies are made to make money; big action scenes, big names, and special effects make money. There's no shadowy ulterior motive other than to make the movie make money.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 8, 2014 8:37 a.m.

Have you ever looked at the art on the walls of a church? It looks like the cast of 'riverdance' a lot more than a reflection of bronze age palestinian Jews.

• liberty or ...? Ogden, UT
    Dec. 8, 2014 8:17 a.m.

What, we can't let the truth actually get out that egyptians who were the super power of the time period and current pop culture has made certain to emphasize were not white skinned but black? Come on Hollywood I know its against your high morals to show anyone else other than whites have enslaved people in history (please ignore shaka Zulu, Egyptian dynasties, Aztecs, Mayans,The black tribe slave trade collaborators, the haitian revolution,Santa Anna in mexico, Entire history of Genghis kahn Feudal japan & china, Imperial Japan etc.)but come on at least get the ethnics right for the time period.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Dec. 8, 2014 7:24 a.m.

Wait is the controversy over casting big name white actors in a movie that takes place in the Middle East? I figured everyone was up in arms for how it portrays the Moses story... Someone put up several hundred million dollars, of course they're going to get a big name as the lead. I'm not saying it's right but is anyone really surprised?