High school football: Bingham falls to No. 1 Bishop Gorman in OT

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Sept. 12, 2014 7:42 a.m.

miners: Your homer ism is much appreciated. 07 and 08 are before they even moved to a spread offense. Lone Peak beat them in 2011 and 2012 where Bingham had no answer for the short passing attack. Alta also beat them in 2012 with the passing game. And almost beat them last year. Last year Bingham beat Lone Peak handily, I'm not 'making excuses for them. My point was that teams that can throw the ball well are the ones that have a shot to beat them. You will not beat them running the ball.

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    Sept. 11, 2014 1:11 p.m.

LP and Jordan giving Bingham a challenge??.... somebody has been smoking too many left handed cigarettes.

Bingham has team speed all over the place... if they stay in the zone mentally I doubt they lose another game.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 11, 2014 12:21 p.m.

Jordan gave them fits last year? LP gave them fits last year? Somebody was watching different games than I was watching. Jordan isn't as good on offense as they were last year, and just as bad as last year on defense. Which was horrendous! Out of any part of Bingham's defense this year, their secondary is probably the strength. Jordan can put up 55 on PG. PG isn't Bingham, not even close! Everybody kept saying the same thing last year about how Jordan was going to be a great test for them. That Bingham defense is lights out people!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2014 11:20 a.m.

@MinersHSfootball
    I agree, #10 and #28 got away with a lot. #28 was jawing even with us on the sideline after plays, and did you also notice how when BG went hurry up they snapped the ball before the chains were set?! and then the chains were set after the fact at the spot where they advanced the ball, easy yards if you asked me. definite home cooking going on but ultimately like you said Bingham missed way too many chances to score, the 1st INT down on the 4 yd line was brutal. I felt Bingham was the better team that night.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2014 11:14 a.m.

@adwight
    What?? 5A semifinals last year:
    Bingham 48 LP 13 143 yds passing and 2 INT, that hardly gave Bingham fits. Jordan didn't fair much better during the season picked off Kaf 4 times. Bingham is head and shoulders above the rest.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2014 11:11 a.m.

Bingham shut down Osa last year twice, that's NOT going to change this year, No team will stop Bingham this year MIINER PRIDE

• MinersHSfootball South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 11, 2014 11:11 a.m.

RE: Adwwright

"That's why teams like Lone Peak have given them fits over the years"

Are you talking about 07 when Bingham won 31-3? I think LP had 1 first down. Maybe 08 when Bingham won 24-8. I am sure LP would have beat the Miners in 2009 or 2010, but they never got a chance. LP did beat Bingham in 2011, which was a 9-4 team and the worst Bingham team since 03. LP had a stacked team and a great OL and great QB. The next year Bingham went 10-3. Those 2 years would have been banner years for almost any school in the State, but not for Bingham. How did last year's playoff game go with LP and their quick passing attack? How about the Jordan game with their great QB. Jordan was much better last year with Moss as a second option. This year, Bingham will win by at least 4 TDs.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Sept. 11, 2014 9:26 a.m.

My last comment didn't show up so whatever. Binghams Achilles heel is the quick passing attack. That's why teams like Lone Peak have given them fits over the years. Their secondary is improved but I think a team that can get it done through the air has a chance of beating Bingham this year. Jordan has a good shot, but unless they can play d they won't beat them.

• Prep Fanatic Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 11, 2014 7:53 a.m.

I think the marquee will be when Jordan visits Bingham this year. Bingham has struggled severely at times with a potent AIR attack and a very mobile quarterback. They do however defend the running attack better than any team in the state. Jordan this year has by far the best and most talented quarterback in the state of Utah, who is very mobile and has a rocket for an arm. Jordan will score points against the Miners, as like I've already said, Bingham's secondary has struggled against this type of quarterback. And yes, Bingham will score points as well against a mediocre defense at best for the Beetdiggers. This game will be an offensive showcase and a shootout, to where it could come down to whoever has the ball last might win. Mark this one down in your calendar. I do feel that Jordan has the best shot out of all 5A schools, that could pull off the upset.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 10, 2014 3:08 p.m.

I get tired of hearing how BG won because of officiating, especially from the Bingham line coach Lui. Of course he hasn't ever been very circumspect when it comes to taking responsibility. Get over it lui, you guys played well, showed well, now please show class and stop whining about the officials.

• Tmf44551 Layton, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 6:43 a.m.

There is only 2 schools in 5A that can go toe to toe with the Bingham Miners and probably pull a win...Brighton and Herriman...Timpview does not count because there in 4A. Spread teams are not going to win a Championship in 5A this year and I guarantee it!

High powered offenses and solid defense from Bingham/Brighton/and Herriman will control the line of scrimmage and time management against these spread offenses. Jordan/PG/Lone Peak/American fork/Davis/Syracuse, do not have the defense that can hold up against a smash mouth offense for 4 quarters.

5A 2014 Champs or up for grabs with these 3 teams "Bingham/Brighton/and Herriman"!

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 4:56 a.m.

Husker1 is right. Just in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area, there are 3-4 Bingham's and 10 Timpview/LP/PG/Herriman type teams. Same thing with CA and FL. I believe Utah has more kids per capita that go on to play D1 than any other State. There are 5 former Bingham players that will start or see significant time at BYU, a couple more at Utah and a couple more at USU. Pritchard and Cantwell will be playing at Oregon St next year. Navy has a 4 year starter on their OL from Bingham as well. East, LP, PG, Alta and Timpview have kids playing all over as well. There is a lot of talent in Utah, which is why big schools are recruiting here.

• Husker1 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 5:56 p.m.

Great effort by the Miners. I've seen prep football all over the country and the best teams in Utah are very, very competitive. We just don't have as many of these high-caliber teams because we don't have as many schools as states like CA, FL, OH, etc., especially private schools.

Timpview and Pleasant Grove have wins over CA teams but I wouldn't put those victories in the same class as this Bingham effort. Bingham played one of the top teams in the country. It remains to be seen how good Mission Hills and Torrey Pines are on a national or even CA scale.

• MinersHSfootball South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 3:16 p.m.

I was at the game. BG had some home cooking, like several questionable spots and several easy pass int calls that should have been called. I noticed #10 shove a Bingham lineman well after the play and watched him the rest of the game. He should have had a dozen un-sportsman line flags throw on him. Any one of those could have changed the outcome, but in the end BG just made one more play. If they played 10 times it might be 5-5 or 6-4 at best. The teams were evenly matched. I doubt BG is the best team in the country. I noticed Gehrig was either off, or this is the first time he was playing equal talent. He missed no less than 5 wide open receivers. Maybe he was nervous after that first pick. He will bounce back and the Miners will roll. It is great to read all the comments about how there are other teams that could knock them off. Possible, but highly unlikely

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2014 1:32 a.m.

Great game. Great teams. Too bad anyone had to lose. Great showing Miners

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 7, 2014 11:27 p.m.

Football in the sate as a whole isn't as strong as it has been in the past, except Bingham. All those teams won't even touch Bingham. Jordan and pg play absolutely no defense at all, Brighton shouldn't even be in the conversation. Minus OSA they have no one. Herriman had the best shot and Binghams oline played awful and they still won. The oline played a ton better this week, against a way better team. They have the best oline coach in the state at any level. The best staff in the state hands down. There defense is unreal and won't give up more than 14 in a game in state all year. They just held the number one team in the country to 23 in overtime, and that was with 3 short fields. Offense will continue to get better and it will be ugly when playoffs come around. Miners Will be 5A champs. I really don't think anyone has a shot.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2014 5:35 p.m.

They're not 5A but I think I would put TImpview in there.

I think Jordan, Brighton and PG would have to be considered threats.

Brighton has very good athletes.

Jordan has Kafentzis and with him, they have a shot.

PG has very good athletes and a proven coach.

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 7, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Who are the teams that have a chance to beat Bingham?

• A&M Fan Cypress, TX
    Sept. 6, 2014 11:24 p.m.

I do not see Bingham loosing another game. Had a friend that attended that game in LV last night and said Bingham was the better team and and Bishop Gorman is easily one of the best teams in the country.

Well done Bingham. I am a fan.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Sept. 6, 2014 9:43 p.m.

I have to agree with Eagle. I saw their game against Herriman and I think there are 4 or 5 teams this year with a good chance of beating Bingham. Until Bingham's offense gets it going they are going to have some tough games in the future. It's anyone's title this year.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2014 2:40 p.m.

Great performance by Bingham and yes Utah prep football quality is substantial and on the rise. While Bingham took Bishop Gorman to the brink, I actually think the Miners are far from a lock to win the 5A. I'm not saying this to begrudge the Miners in any way but to illustrate just how good some of Beehive States team are.

• ExTBird Springville, US-UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 11:58 p.m.

Well this proves it. Bingham can play on a national level. Taking the number 1 team into OT is very impressive. Bingham could of won this game which is huge for both Bingham and Utah. Proving that our state isn't to be ignored on the national scene.

Timpview made the same statement in California. Proud of the Miners and Thunderbirds. Way to represent Utah boys.