No. 19 Sun Devils beat Weber State 45-14

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Aug. 30, 2014 1:26 a.m.

Thanks, DesNews, for the "expanded" coverage you've added to this article. I'm a happy camper now.

I appreciate the comments of other readers, reminding me this was a very late game that night, and how difficult it is to get that story into print (or even online) by 4 or 5 AM the next morning. I humbly eat my words! 8)

• hegotgame Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 30, 2014 1:04 a.m.

There were a few guys that looked ok for the Wildcats including Green who was solid in his first game. I'm at a loss as to why WSU have signed a new punter who's never played football.....ever.... and has no track record when there are several other quality, nationally ranked punters (JC and HS guys) in Utah that would have jumped at the chance. Recruit some strong instate talent when it's available.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 29, 2014 1:34 p.m.

I some of the game. Green looked pretty good against a good PAC-12 team. Too bad you couldn't punch it in at the one with the score 17-0. That would have made the game interesting!

Good luck! Go Wildcats!

• Blind Zebra Ogden, UT
    Aug. 29, 2014 11:55 a.m.

@ Chris B

What comes around goes around, when you say things in your posts like "nobody teams" and "the lowly Idaho State" it just shows your true character, something I"m sure you're beloved Kyle Wittingham preaches to his team (having charachter). Maybe you should take a page out of his notebook.

Be unclassy all you want, but you'll find yourself on the opposite end of lopsided losses plenty this year.

• Well.... Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 29, 2014 11:51 a.m.

Good win for the Devils, but they coasted the second half. Not sure that's the best habit, but still got the W. Looking forward to an excellent year in the Pac-12! Christopher B--what's with the "nobody programs" talk? I do believe the Utes themselves struggled to defeat Weber State during their "magical" 2008 season? Also, what's with looking forward to playing only so-called P5? You're a Ute fan, right? You realize doing exactly that's going to put the Utes 3-9 and 2-10 every year? OK, apparently you *don't* realize that--but it's still the truth. Careful what you wish for, good sir.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 29, 2014 11:05 a.m.

Go Pac 12!

Fun to dominate some nobody programs, but I look forward to when p5 teams play ONLY p5 teams.

• Big Sky Fan Ogden, UT
    Aug. 29, 2014 9:03 a.m.

I'm a huge Weber State fan and alumn, but in defense of the deseret news, the game was on pretty late last night and it is hard to get stats/facts/ect with such a late game, be greatful they covered it at all, a lot of newspapers wouldn't have said anything about a game with such a late start.

Quit complaining, as soon as Weber state starts to surprise people with their wins the desnews will cover them more extensively.

Go Cats.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 29, 2014 8:57 a.m.

There was the messed up goal line opportunity and some penalties on some critical downs which cost about 10 to 14 points for the Wildcats which would have made it look more of a solid game, but I think they will be much improved. It will be interesting to see how they do against the defending champions of FCS next week.

They need to do something about the uniforms in the off-season. They look awful. Looks like they are wearing sweats or track pants with the the written "Wildcats" on the pants. The "Weber State" on the front in chiller-like font is mickey mouse. I like the logo, but really, a "W" needs to be on the helmet and the Wildcat face could be a secondary logo on the sleeve or pants. They should use some stripes on the pants or something. I know this kind of sounds petty, but really the uniforms need an upgrade.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Aug. 29, 2014 8:18 a.m.

Really, DesNews? Really?!?

This is the best you can do to cover Weber State's season opener (against a Top-20 program)?

A SIX sentence-long generic article you pulled off the AP Wire?

The Utes game got *umpteen* thousand column-inches of coverage for their patsy game (as will, I am sure, the Y game tonight).

And this is the best you can do for another of Utah's "Big Five"? Thanks for nothin!

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Aug. 29, 2014 7:08 a.m.

Billy Green looked pretty good in his debut for Weber State. BYU lost a very solid backup.