House ready to OK government-wide $1.1T budget

Return To Article
Add a comment
  • Steve in Ohio Galloway, OH
    Jan. 16, 2014 10:24 a.m.

    Until the spending per year is less than or equal to the revenue per year, the Legislative and Executive branches of the government have not done their job. The fact that we accept this kind of irresponsibility from our elected officials is a sad commentary on how spoiled, selfish, and shortsighted our nation has become. This will not end well, the piper must be paid eventually...

  • Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 2:56 p.m.

    I agree with DN Subscriber. The military pension needs to be restored. That was the promise when soldiers enlisted, we need to hold our end of the bargain.

    If the current program isn't sustainable, then they can look at making changes to future recruits. Let them know what they're signing up for, rather than have them serve 30 years to find out there is less for them. It's hard to make adjustments at that point in the career.

    Every politician needs to sit down and volunteer to return their paychecks back to the American people. It doesn't have to be a precedence, but, a gesture....since they can't balance the budget and pay off debt then they shouldn't get paid.

  • DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 11:29 a.m.

    The sad, and infuriating, part is that the ONLY actual cut in spending is for military retiree pensions.

    This is just WRONG!

    I urge Senators Lee and Hatch and Representatives Bishop, Chaffetz, Matheson and Stewart to all vote AGAINST this bloated spending bill. Congress needs to do their job and pass all the 12 individual spending bills, and do it on time, not 4our months after the start of the fiscal year. If they cannot do their jobs, then they should resign!

    In the minds of most of the 535 pampered members of Congress it is okay to cut the promised benefits to those who risked life and limb defending our country, repeatedly sacrificing time with their families to be deployed.

    But, it is NOT okay to cut welfare benefits for illegals, it is NOT okay to reduce foreign aid to countries which hate us, it is NOT okay to reduce fraudulent "tax credit payments" (wealth transfer) to foreign citizens who work here (even illegally). It is NOT okay to cut studies of the sex habits of squirrels, it is NOT okay to cut subsidies for ethanol fuels which increase food prices and ruin our vehicles.


  • techpubs Sioux City, IA
    Jan. 15, 2014 10:56 a.m.

    Two thoughts:
    1. How much over the actual revenue coming in is this budget?
    2. Will all items not addressed in this budget require offsetting cuts so the actual budget remains at 1.1 trillion for the next 2 years?

  • Thinkman Provo, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 10:05 a.m.

    Liberal Ted,

    Oh how I wish it were that simple!

    What one party calls "pork" the other calls "essential." So what is one person's junk is another person's treasure.

    We need to remove non-essential regulations that stifle innovation and business and thus job creation to move this economy forward and getting people off the mother pork sow.

  • Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2014 8:35 a.m.

    This is how we pay off the debt. Go through this bill and everything that is just "pork", remove it. If we have surplus money, then that goes towards the principle of our $17,000,000,000,000.00 debt. Do that for the next 50 years and we'll probably have a surplus, where we can discuss additional social programs, helping the poor, helping the disadvantage etc. Who knows, maybe we'll figure out that if we have jobs for 95% of Americans of all abilities, that we can take care of the other 5% that can't do anything for themselves. (I know, it's probably not an exact break down, but I have a hard time believing 50% of this country needs assistance. When good paying jobs can be had.)