Doug Robinson: BYU football: Gentle giant Braden Hansen grew up to become one big, talented athlete

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 9:25 a.m.

So many of these commenters are smarter and more connecte than the writer and the rest of us...I think from now on I'll just skip the article and read the comments...NOT!

Good luck, Braden! Hope you can hear the snap count tonight!

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 8:41 a.m.

Great story! Keep up the good work.

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:02 p.m.

Good luck Braden.
    I don't know enough about the Cougar OL or it's Coaches to have a relevent thought, just hoping you go the rest of the season injury free and get a shot at a NFL career.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:31 p.m.

@StGtoSLC

very funny stuff! Nice post.

@IndyCrimson

Good post as well.

Coming into the season I had high hopes for Braden and so did a lot of football experts. Phil Steele had him listed (iirc) as a 2nd or 3rd team All-American and potential being the top 3 guards being drafted.

Then fall camp started and he was missing time with the starters because of some issues with the weight/fitness program and his goals not being met, and when the season started and our OL started having problems on the field holding their own I started to get concerned about his prospects for going pro. I'd hate to see what happened with Matt Reynolds happen to Braden.

I think this presents a glaring indicator of the quality of the BYU OL coach if he falls off the radar like Matt Reynolds did.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:35 a.m.

So. Cal Reader, thanks for reading my comment for what it was, which is a good-hearted jest. Hansen does seem like a good dude, like a lot of other former and current BYU players I've met are. Good luck to him, but always have that contingency plan. $6k/month being on a practice squad for 2 or 3 years is not fair trade for the toll the body takes in that time.

• SpaceCowboy69 Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:30 a.m.

Nice article about a good kid. Hope he continues to do well at BYU and has a shot at the NFL.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:45 a.m.

Hansen certainly seems like a tremendous individual, and the Cougs roster is full of them. I loved indycrimson's comment (and StGtoSLC for that manner) and am glad Hansen was able to serve a mission. But, this is a sports article so let's get football facts straight: "Everyone always knew Braden was going someplace in football." And where has Hansen actually "gone", other than start 3 years for BYU? This article makes Hansen come across as the next #1 draft pick. For most college football players, the NFL is considered "the place" to go. Hansen's injury bug, I believe, will hamper his draft status. The article mentions Matt Reynolds. All we Cougs fans thought that guy was destined for stardom in the NFL. Is being a non-draft free agent & toiling on the Eagles' Practice Squad "making it"? The facts are facts- there are great odds against any Cougs O-lineman "making it" in the NFL.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Sept. 19, 2012 3:31 a.m.

I'm a huge Ute fan and alumnus...but am a bigger fan of Braden. 5 years ago we worked side by side in a labor of love in the very poorest part of Philadelphia. He was Elder Hansen then and was the hardest working and most loved person involved in our project.

Whatever he accomplishes in football will not impress me more than what he did in NE Philly!

Good luck Braden from a big Ute and Braden Hansen fan!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 18, 2012 8:08 p.m.

"He's getting calls from agents wanting to sign him after the season in preparation for the NFL Draft. "

He's also getting calls from officials wanting him to back up five yards.