Daggett County officials searching for missing Boy Scout

• IloveUTAH☺ MIDVALE, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I also hope and pray that even though he was known to "lose his way", he sounds like he's an upbeat boy. So knowing that he was taught to pray-he will indeed be just fine!

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 10:07 a.m.

To me the reporter simply sounded misinformed and should have described Garrett's situation better. Still, it is a very sad situation that breaks my heart.

• teerev PROVO, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 9:04 a.m.

RE:Scott1
    At the risk of sounding callous, it's been 7 years since Garrett's disappearance; 7 years is most states' time limit for being legally declared dead.

• Sarah B SLC, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 9:02 a.m.

The buddy system works only if both participants are willing to follow that rule. My son's have had boys in their troop who will not listen, follow rules or stay with the group. Kids like that should be required to have a parent or family member along who will accept responsibility for this child. It's too much to ask of scout leaders to deal with a problem child as well as the other scouts who are obedient.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 13, 2011 8:35 a.m.

How many volunteers decided not to join the search because of the first line in the teaser saying the boy was found?

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Let me just second all of the above sentiments......I also sincerely pray for his safe return and comfort for his family.

• Emily Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 7:41 a.m.

The current version of this article is in *extremely* poor taste. My heart jumped for joy to see the text below this boy's photo on the homepage saying that he had been found. Then I clicked the article and found that this was a false alarm phone call and he is still missing. Are you really so desperate for people to actually click and open your stories that you will put misleading information on the homepage? Poor, poor taste.

I hope he is found safe very soon. What a horrible experience for his family to go through.

• JediToby Tooele, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Like Rocket Science, I've been involved with the BSA for many years, as a scout, as a leader, and now as a parent. Of course we're worried for this (and every) missing child, and in an effort to make sure it doesn't happen again, may I stress again the BUDDY SYSTEM.

For those who think this only happens to scouts, I do more backcountry camping with my family of young children than many scouts will ever do. There's the same dangers and thank goodness for my scouting experience having taught me the principles and practices to keep them all safe.

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 2:09 a.m.

Garrett Bardsley was never found. We cannot say he passed away because we do not know for sure. A very sad situation.

• Sarah B SLC, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 2:00 a.m.

I hope he's found safely. It surprises me that his Mom would let him participate if she wasn't surprised he got lost. Sounds like he wasn't ready for this type of activity. Condolences to his Scout leaders who are probably worried sick also.

• teerev PROVO, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 12:48 a.m.

It's terrible every time I see one of these stories, which is unfortunately fairly often here in Utah. Hopefully it'll all turn out just fine.

• Let's be real Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 12:19 a.m.

Our family is praying for his safe return. Please join us.

• Kaliman Heber City, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Everyone's hope and prayers are with this boy, the searchers, and his family for a safe return. What a scary night to spend, both for the boy and his parents.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:01 p.m.

My faith and prayers are for his safe return.

Just my opinion but with nearly 30 years as a veteran scout and scouter I have come to believe very strongly that the Boy Scouts up to 14 years old should always attend regular BSA scout camps. There are no guarantees from some accidents at any camp but the odds are better at BSA owned scout camps.

High adventure camps for the older young men 14 - 18 are also available through BSA scout camps and there are a variety of excellent programs to choose from.

Wherever you go and whatever you do remember the buddy system, know the area and make sure each young man knows it by map and upon arrival by landmarks, always have each young many carry (fanny pack or something to be on his person) an emergency/survival kit including a good referee's whistle, go over what to do if lost - how best to protect yourself and how best to be found.

May we all have fun, adventuresome and safe outings. May this young man be found soon and in great condition.

• joy Logan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 6:41 p.m.

I pray for his safe return.