Alpine cell phone policy prompts school privacy, safety debate

• mammalou Somewhere in the USA, UT
    March 21, 2011 12:52 p.m.

I hope the teachers at my sons school do this very thing. He has no privacy in my house either as I look though his phone and computer at will. It's called parenting and protecting. At 15, he needs guidance. Futhermore, I agree that he has no business being on his phone/internet at school, that's why his device is on lock during those hours. Our kids need help, there is too much "freedom" for them at this tender age. I know, not the politically correct feelings -- but administrators go ahead if it's my kid.....he shouldn't have anything to hide, and if he does, I want to know about it.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    March 21, 2011 11:10 a.m.

All you people griping about student rights need to read up on the laws governing public schools.

The US Bill of Rights does not hold sway inside schools.

Freedom of Expression, restricted.

Right to Assemble, banned.

Protection from unreasonable searches/seizures, revoked.

All in the name of "security".

A public school is just like a prison. If the administrators want to search anyone or anything that comes onto the property, they can.

• carman Alpine, UT
    March 21, 2011 9:02 a.m.

This sounds like Saudi Arabia! Search my kid's personal property??? If you have probable cause, call the police! Otherwise, call me. As for phones: Phone access of the internet is not on the school's network. There is ZERO reason for the school to access private data on a students phone. That is the parents job unless the activity is illegal, and the parents' job if the activity is legal.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    March 20, 2011 4:54 p.m.

No one to blame here but the parents.

Have a little control over your little darlings.

• seeswater Vernal, UT
    March 20, 2011 2:02 p.m.

Re: scambuster | 10:05 a.m. March 20, 2011

I'm an ultra far right conservative (I don't say radical - I leave the radical stuff up to the crazy liberals), but I completely disagree with this policy. Students should expect a right to privacy with any item they own. The only case I can see where a teacher should be able to confiscate it is when the teacher has first-hand knowledge of some inappropriate activity (i.e. they SEE an actual offense).

Get a grip and stop your hate-mongering.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Re: scambuster | 10:05 a.m. March 20, 2011

When it comes to sexting and other types of inappropriate cell phone use the school district has every right to set standards and enforce them.

You don't have to be a "ultra far right radical" to set appropriate standards of conduct.

• Maudine SLC, UT
    March 20, 2011 11:11 a.m.

"It's your phone. You have the rights."

Um - not really. If you are using a device outside of the privacy of your home, you really don't have any guarantees of privacy - acting and talking in public make your actions public.

• slgs5aggie Cedar City, UT
    March 20, 2011 10:37 a.m.

Teach your kids to be decent, honest, kids, and not little criminals, then there would be not need for such measures. The truth is, kids are doing things they should not be on those phones, and electronic devices. Kids bring things like knives and drugs to school. Parents want the school to be safe, but will never admit it might be their kids causing the problem. Everyday parents refuse to admit where the problem lies, because they know that that always points back to them. The apple rarely falls far from the tree. Parents refuse to have their kids drug tested, because they know the kid is dirty. Someone has got to be brave enough to say, ya, test my kid, and if he is dirty, charge him. Most parents want to protect their kids from consequences. All we get from that is a bunch of entitled liberals.

• scambuster American Fork, UT
    March 20, 2011 10:05 a.m.

This is what happens when you elect ultra far right radicals to the ASD school board. The Tea Party has some interesting things in store for us.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    March 20, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Ban the phones and electronic devices from inside the school. If the administrators want to check cars, get ahold of a law enforcement and get a search warrant. Quit trying to play God, you are just teachers.