Film on Cambodia sparks forgiveness

Part of documentary on Khmer Rouge is shown at S.L. church

• Tammy
    Jan. 29, 2010 5:22 a.m.

I am American and just got back from Cambodia. I am so happy to hear you did this film. I beg of you to make sure it is seen all over the world. Most people are not fully aware what happened in Cambodia during the Khmer rouge regime. I watched the movie "killing fields" many times over the years,it barely showed the horrors and real story. After visiting Cambodia's Killing fields, S21, and speaking to the Cambodian survivors I was shocked that so little of this sad history was known outside of Cambodia and to myself. The whole world needs to know! I came back from Cambodia feeling people needed to know this history. I am so happy you are showing it. I am sorry for your loss and all those that died, suffered, and are still suffering. Cambodians are the most loving people I have ever met. I did my own filming (not professional)to show my family and friends because I left Cambodia wanting people to know the real story. I plan on going back next year for 2 months and try to help the wonderful people of Cambodia. Cambodia holds my heart.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2010 5:08 p.m.

Bong Sombath im very proud of you that you have the heart to make this movie, your story will teach alot of young khmer people, good luck to you and i am very happy for what you done to show the world how khmer people live their life during that time am also lost alot of relatives.

• noeun
    Jan. 26, 2010 11:18 a.m.

This film gona b the next biggest movie in cambodia since the killing field movie! We gotta let the world really know how cambodia got into this situation in the first place! We coulda prevented the war from happening but the goverment refused! The out-comeis over 3.5 million and more died ! That sad cause we was the first human culture to step into that region. On top of that where did u think native american merge from around that region today is know as Cambodia .

• Van
    Jan. 25, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Congratulations Bong Sambath! I am a "Killing Fields" survivor too. Even after 30 years later, I still have nightmares and vivid memories about the Khmer Rouges era. I need to find a closure to this. I hope your movie will inspire me to write a book about my life, help heal the old wound and find some closure that I was searching for, for all of these years.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 25, 2010 6:25 p.m.

Chen. Hope your film would be shown in southern California soon.

• Dave
    Jan. 25, 2010 6:07 p.m.

Hi! when will this be shown in Cambodia? I'd love to see this and of course would want the rest of Cambodians to see it too.

• Aown
    Jan. 25, 2010 3:24 p.m.

These are things we could forgive, which we have, but it's something that could never be forgotten. Powerful, Powerful Stuff.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 25, 2010 3:08 p.m.

Come on Cambodians life must go on. Think positively about Cambodia future. I am the Cambodian ophanage children of war, but what done is done. Things went wrong even before I was born. In fact Cambodia was mismanagement for hundred of years if we look at ours history. So let learn and make sure that history will not repeat again. That's life Cambodians let smile, forgive and forget.

• mass effect
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:21 p.m.

What a happy ending!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:15 p.m.

You should read the book, Tears of my Soul, and After the heavy rain. These books will offer you a powerful message of forgiveness

• cambodian victim
    Jan. 25, 2010 2:12 p.m.

Wonderful. I fully support you. Nothing will ever make our broken people smile again, except the healing message of forgiveness of Jesus Christ.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:59 a.m.

It is good for you, Sambath for what you have done. I am very much interested to see the movie.

• Eileen Borris
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:48 a.m.

Congratulations to both of you. I would love to see this film myself. I teach peacebuilding and conflict resolution and work abroad. I suspect yor movie is an inspiration to many people.

I think it is interesting that when we gain more of an understanding of events, that understanding leads to forgiveness many times. The question to ask is what happened in peoples lives that created pain in the past and made them who they are at the time when they inflicted pain on others. If we can truly understand why people did what they did, sometimes that is enough to disarm our anger and move closer towards forgiveness. Eileen Borris - author of "finding Forgiveness: A 7 Step Program for Letting go of Anger and Bitterness.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:54 a.m.

It is not easy to forgive when current kr leaders are living freely they seem to feel like they did nothing