Utah Jazz notebook: Trade stuns Maynor, but rookie is in good spirits

• Dapper2k
    Dec. 26, 2009 6:59 p.m.

My advice. Don't listen or even read todd "the Haters" comments. He's been trying to ruin the Jazz for years now and has yet to add anything that would truly benefit the Jazz. The best thing the Jazz could do would be to read todd's posts and do the exact opposite, he would have this team in ruin faster than you could say NY Knicks or Larry Brown and Charlotte.

Todd is the worst kind of hater in that he disagrees with everything the Organization does while claming to be a fan. The Jazz's bigs have underperformed and have put the Jazz in a bad place, middle of the pack, which can be hard to get out of but listening to Todd is not the answer.

I was not excited to see EM go and worry that he could be another Mo Williams but understand the reason behind it. I also think that this team could be in for some big changes in the next few years. Booz will be gone along with Korver and possibly Brewer leaving the Jazz with enough cap space to bring in a free agent now that Harp's gone.

• Dave
    Dec. 26, 2009 2:34 p.m.

Boozer, not KOC, is the guy to blame. If Boozer had opted out like he said he would, we wouldn't be in this situation, and there would be more minutes for Millsap and AK.

• Simple Really
    Dec. 26, 2009 9:21 a.m.

Were the Jazz 10 million dollars better BEFORE this trade?

Maynor was a decent backup and may become a pretty good player but the team had to make this deal.

• Jazz Cop @toddo
    Dec. 25, 2009 7:30 a.m.

I see your point, its hard to argue with a win now philosophy, and it's not like the jazz don't have a shot, and the shot didn't improve with this trade.

but, it's not good counseling to advise the jazz to keep an inflated payroll when you look at their chances this year, which are better than most think because of their record against good teams at home, but it would be ill advised to take your chances with this roster, the only justification for keeping the roster together would be that the jazz have a very good chance at a championship, while they have a chance, the probablity of them even getting to the second round seems low,

besides, aren't you sick of this jeckyl/hyde show, this team is not as good as expectations, maybe the expectations aren't fair for this team, but a team w/o expectations who is building, like okc, is a fun team and they don't have expectations, their fans are happy, they get lucky w a young and fun team. and they have athletes.
    the jazz don't have enough athletes on their roster.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 25, 2009 7:20 a.m.

@Todd-Do you really tink okc would make this trade for price, koufus, fesenko, brewer; first off, if , they traded brewer and harping. they couldn't do it, because those two contracts would've sent okc over the salary cap. but more importantly, okc had valuable cap space, and they were going to get a good piece in exchange for their cap space, or leverage it for a draft pick; but you know they had alot of teams wanting to trade with them, so, okc really did the jazz a favor, they could've traded with another team just out of spite for the jazz, they wanted maynor, they probably could've got a better player, but w this trade, okc gets a player who will help them, and then next year, after harpring comes off the books, they are still under the cap.
    todd, you want a contender this year. how do you see this team getting up to championshiop level, they've never really played up to that level,
    and w maynor gone, the chances got worse.

the jazz gave up alot, i was a huge maynor fan, he was a solution for this team, but

• to eric
    Dec. 25, 2009 1:38 a.m.

all the best! i loved watching your confidence on the floor in a jazz uniform. that's what fans pay to see. not the wins, but the players with tenacity. and you're one guy we want to follow, no matter what ur uniform say on the front. keep it going...

• confused fan
    Dec. 24, 2009 11:51 p.m.

I am a great fan of Eric Maynor and was called the other day about the trade. I then went online to see exactly how it went down. I did see that it was strictly a business move but hate that he is really losing alot out of this himself. I saw the other night at the bobcats game his appreciation for the jazz teammates and Jerry Sloan who in my mind is one of the best coaches in history. I know that in my mind Eric will do a great job where ever he plays but I hope that he has the chance to settle down in Ok. and is giving the chance to really show what Eric has in his game.

• Porks
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:40 p.m.

I with todd all the way!

• Gazelle
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:19 p.m.

Why is it that if Sloan leaves the Jazz are doomed to the worst fate ever? I do not understand that arguement anymore. You know things could actually be better just as easily. They said the same things about Stockton and Malone leaving.

I do not think anyone here is kidding themselves into thinking that they know more about basketball than the coaches or thinking they could run this team better than The GM. But something is wrong and the fact that the average fan can see it is telling. There is a big elephant sitting in the room and it is getting hard not to talk about.

I look forward to some changes.

• The Jazz could
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:04 p.m.

sign a 3+ year vet since the league would pay part of the salary and only part of the salary would count for luxury tax.

I personally would like to see a promising rookie like Jefferson or Paul Harris. They could sign a non guaranteed contract for 435,000 or so. In the case of Jefferson they could leave him playing for the Flash until he gets more experience.

As long as Price actually runs the team well I have no problem with him. But it would really help this team to get a tall, good shooting combo guard who could run the team well (better than Maynor).

• Phunk
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:50 p.m.

All I know is that the Jazz cleared up a lot of space financially, it's possibly Boozer's last season in Utah and they have the money to go after a big name player. The Jazz will do one of three things from here: 1) Try to sign Boozer again, 2) Trade Boozer along with a draft pick for a big name guy like Bosh or 3) Bring in another white european/russian or some no name, non producing John Doe

• Anonymous
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:43 p.m.

Some of you guys don't get it. OKC wanted Maynor. They were willing to give up cap room to get him. The Jazz needed the cap room worse than they needed Maynor.

Sad to see him go, but he is not irreplaceable. In fact he is really quite replaceable.

The Jazz may not be better right now as a result of this trade, but they will be better in the future because of it.

• todd from santa ana
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:00 p.m.

Jazz Cop: We could not got rid of another player to Ok City I suppose? Such as CJ Miles, Ronnie Price, Ron Brewer, how are these guys any better?

Ron Brewer would be lucky to make a shot from 5 feet. You miss the point.. Everyone cuts back. The Angels lost money I read today in 2009. It is a horrible economy., broadcasters Rex Hudler and Steve Physioc were let go because they make too much.

I was not against Matt Harpring leaving for the bum but we could have sent another player there-what I want to do is forget about some money and try and make a plan to win instead of giving up on the year.

I do not want to steal your state's team, I would rather still be a Jazz Fan and go to my fix of games in Anaheim taking a team like Sacramento cheer for and watch certain teams I like come in to have the best of both worlds.

It was not until "I came along" that more and more by the day are starting to agree more and more. Read the comments and people defending me.

No keep same garbage

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 24, 2009 5:21 p.m.

@ todd--you're free spending spirit has gone to far, with all your boycotting and now, keep maynor, i'm sure you wouldn't be happy until the jazz are financially ruined. consider yourself removed from your position.
    you seem to be a fan, but sometimes i wonder.

• BP
    Dec. 24, 2009 5:03 p.m.

To Sloan haters:

What you don't realize is that Jerry is the best case scenario. He's the best at getting average players to look great by sticking to a "Rigid" system. On the road we get beat because we lack the talent to score and the quickness to defend. But that has to do with the "horses" we have. Utah is a small market and we cannot get All-Stars through free-agency. And in the trade market, the best we've done is Boozer and Okur. The Draft is the only time we've gotten All-Stars (Stockton, Karl, D-will, etc.)

Sloan gets the most out the players he has. If any other coach was in here, they'd not only have a losing road record, but the Jazz would have a worse stigma than the LA Clippers. Marquee players don't avoid Utah because of Sloan, they do it because it's a small market and a conservative city.

So at this Christmas time, let's be grateful for what we have because it could be a lot worse. Sloan led us to two Finals appearances against the greatest player to play the game.

• todd from santa ana
    Dec. 24, 2009 3:52 p.m.

Brandon: "sloanaholic"

• Brandon
    Dec. 24, 2009 3:16 p.m.

Wow some stupid guys on here have no clue what they are talking about.. Hmm.. why not trade Kyle Korver? Probably cause the Thunder didnt want an overpaid pre madona! Why not Price? Why not Koufous? Because Oklahoma didnt want them! They wanted Maynor! You guys have no intelligence talking about this stuff.. We traded for cap space! And you guys talking about spending the money to win! You really think Maynor is going to lead us to a Championship? Come on guys.. They need to get under the Luxury tax so they can actually do something in the offseason.. If they didnt do this.. every team in the NBA would have them firmly grasped down below to do anything they wanted with them! You guys think this stuff is so easy..You guys are ignorant

• Lost
    Dec. 24, 2009 2:32 p.m.

Sloan is lost. I do not think he knows alot about what is going on. He just sits there with his mouth open, with a dazed and confused look on his face. I wonder if he can see how bad Boozer and Okurs defense really is. Does he even know that Fes is back from Orem.

• gazelle is right
    Dec. 24, 2009 1:16 p.m.

Jerrys days are over, he has "retired" to a year to year kind of "I'll stay around a while and help Greg with this sorry lot...until he matures enough to make a hard decision. Watch this team play, theyt have no motivation or direction...they are a lost and disorganized bunch of money burners.

• Richie
    Dec. 24, 2009 1:15 p.m.

Is that the best thing Miller could do? Maynor is going to make the Jazz very sorry. Why was it when everbody was injured, Maynor and Matthews really made the Jazz look good.

• TODD from santa ana
    Dec. 24, 2009 1:13 p.m.

If it was up to this state and "being scared of change" We may have Mcgovern a 4 term president..

• Don't like it
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:58 p.m.

Bad deal all the way around. Why not lose Korver?

• todd to gazelle
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:57 p.m.

ALL OF YOU STOP IT!!

GET OUT OF YOUR MIND SET IT HAS TO BE A JERRY CLONE TO REPLACE HIM.

GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE..

MAKE MEANINGFUL CHANGE--NO HORNACEK. NO STOCKTON NO PHIL JOHNSON NO CORBIN

BRING SOMEONE FROM OUTSIDE TO CLEAN THIS SHIP UP

fans did not want TOM LANDRY REPLACED EITHER

Remember WHAT FOLLOWED......

• Best of luck Eric
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:22 p.m.

Eric maynor is a stud. No jazz fan wanted him traded. This was strictly business.

• Gazelle
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:12 p.m.

This team in my opinion has management and coaching problems. The team has no direction!!

MAKE Jerry commit to a 5 year contract. This year to year stuff needs to end. If he cannot commit then it is time to say goodbye. Every year we go through the drama. Imagine what the players think?

If you are trying to build a team , I dont know maybe you would want a Coach that is in it for the long haul. That is how it worked for Sloan , Stockton, and malone years ago. They grew together. Sloan was not even Sloan if you know what I mean.

My point is maybe it is time to move on. Maybe what this team needs is a fresh start. Change is not a bad thing. Frank Layden knew when it was his time to hang it up and look at all the wonderful years we had after that.

I would like to see Corbin given a shot. I love his energy and passion on the bench. Reminds me of another younger Coach we had years ago.

• Too Funny
    Dec. 24, 2009 11:07 a.m.

Sh@'s quote of the day: "I love what Williams does for the community, but he does not run the offense here as well as Maynor did. He ran the offense very well and in his rookie year. I wish him the best, he has a big future in the league!"

• It's Time
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:42 a.m.

Time for Sloan to get ready to plow.

• Pawaso
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:37 a.m.

Bad, bad move Jazz... this young kid showed he could play far ahead of his draft position and experience. I really like Ronnie Price's heart and desire, but frankly Maynor was a better PG for this team. If you absolutely had to drop salary, it should have come from a Boozer, Kirilenko or even a Kyle Korver trade, they are the only over-paid players on the team. Is Mo Williams available?

• what is the plan here?
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:34 a.m.

What exactly is our plan to be a top tier team in the future? If we don't plan to spend money and keep up with the other teams we can expect exactly that - to lose to all of those teams. Anyone that costs any money we want to ship away. We have Williams and beyond that not much else next year. We have Memo and his no defense. We have Kirilenko and his mental head case. We have Millsap who has not proven to be great. I highly doubt the Jazz have some plan to bring in a big name free agent next year as they are deomonstrating the desire to shed money at all cost right now. No future for the Jazz with this penny pinching direction.

• billybob
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:31 a.m.

I'm ready for the next trade.....someone with heart would be nice. Jazz mailed in this one. The only one who could cool down Booz in the first quarter was Jerry who always takes the hot hand out of the game. Jerry go ahead and move Memo to the bench, he deserves to be replaced by Fes or Koufos.

• Yeah
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:12 a.m.

I love it when a guy who sits in a cubicle in Murray thinks that he knows better how to run an NBA franchise and coach the team better than the guys who have been doing it for a long time. Get a clue! Most of you couldnt even coach my daughters jr jazz team and most of you would have already driven the jazz out of town if you were in charge. So shut up and realize that Maynor plays 8 minutes a game. I am just guessing but they probably didnt want to trade him but to save that much money(which every single one of you posting would do I hope) they had to give up something of value.

• Andre
    Dec. 24, 2009 10:12 a.m.

Contrary to what Ronnie Price thinks, this has everything to do with Maynor's play: OKC really needs a good backup, or even a starting PG, and Maynor is increasingly looking like he should have been a lottery pick. If it was only a financial move for them, they would have been happy to take Ronnie Price or Koufos off our hands.

• Sh@
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:35 a.m.

• I'm sure...
    Dec. 24, 2009 9:27 a.m.

...he's still grinning ear to ear. He must be so happy to be out of SLC and it's lack of diversity.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:45 a.m.

Don't expect cj to play well the next few games, consider it a casualty of the roster situation, thinking a trade might happen is what it takes to undermine his progress so far, but he'll get back onto it, i expect a few funky games from the youngster, sloan should be mindful of that and not push it.
    guys like koufus will play better thinking a trade might happen, as he would want to play good so he can get on another squad that will give him a chance. i'd start giving him some minutes.

as for beasley,
    i had thought it would be a good idea to do a sign and trade with boozer and the knicks pick. I rescind that. beasley might be worth the risk on a sign and trade with boozer, but he's not worth risking a top 10 pick on ontop of that. honestly, after last summer, big question marks, he could've been on drugs last night, i wouldn't be surprised, as it is, most people think he is a huge dissapointment, after last night, I wouldn't want the jazz to get involved with him.

• Idahoan
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:24 a.m.

I believe the "Pay what it takes" went down the drain with all the NON Playoff team losses this season. There comes a time when you have to call it what it is... This is NOT a Championship team. Maybe a first round playoff team, but it will not make the second round. Until this Jazz team can win consistently on the road and win games against sum .500 teams, it had better start preparing for the future and cut your losses.

Maynor actually is better off in OKC. They are a young team that is learning how to win and win on the road even!! He goes from a wannabe to a soontobe playoff contender.

• Business
    Dec. 24, 2009 8:08 a.m.

The Jazz have been on the receiving end of the luxury tax dollars for the past few years. Presumably this is the only year they will exceed the threshold. Throwing away talent is what most teams in the NBA do, since they don't have any expectations delivering a competitive team on the court but simply want to rake in the dough. It is a business, and from the looks of things here, Seattle is a much better market to exploit.

• Adam Kweef@todd
    Dec. 24, 2009 7:48 a.m.

I think he is available.

• oldcowboy
    Dec. 24, 2009 7:41 a.m.

Where are the comments from those who got all the money that lead to this situation..no statement from those with ultra million contracts???

• yo
    Dec. 24, 2009 7:13 a.m.

let's face it..Greg Miller is no Larry Miller...Larry grew up working hard long hours, Greg grew up lookinf pretty...the next generation

• Jazz fan in WC
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:23 a.m.

What ever happened to paying what it takes to put the best team out on the floor? I guess if o'conner and miller did their best in the offseason they wouldn't be flailing now to save a buck. I have been a fan of the Jazz for 22 years and never lived close to slc so I had to put a lot of effort into following these guys - especially pre Internet. I've never been more disinterested in them as I am now. They need a better product to increase their revenue if it is so important.

• Good Move Jazz
    Dec. 24, 2009 3:57 a.m.

I just hope the front office plans on having a big trade with boozer if they dont dumb dumb dumb move from the jazz front office... Im a jazz fan but something needs to happened soon... seriously

• ER in AF
    Dec. 24, 2009 2:39 a.m.

Smart move. Painfully smart. But still smart.

• steve
    Dec. 24, 2009 1:53 a.m.

I like Maynor, but how could you refuse that offer? A late 1st round rookie with mid level potential who backs up one of the top guys at his position and will likely never average much more than 7 minutes a game on this team to drop $10 million in salary? This was a no brainer. Sorry to see him go, but yeah...

Most of you guys just like ripping on sloan and o'conner. You'd complain no matter what moves were made.

• IVAN
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:55 a.m.

Unbelivable.and we have season tickets. its all business.what about the quality of ball whe are
    seeing.

• todd from santa ana
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:14 a.m.

We might be better with a game plan by hiring as a consultant Danny White formerly with the Utah Blaze who took garbage team to the playoffs 2 years in Arena.

I would bet he could even outcoach SLoan.

Not hard...

• todd to tag
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:01 a.m.

so is Polyniece, Donaldson and Spencer. O' Connor is watching them this week at the rec center I will have a confidential report on progress Monday to signings...

• Tag, you're IT
    Dec. 23, 2009 11:54 p.m.

I hear Ostertag is available.

• todd to bf
    Dec. 23, 2009 11:02 p.m.

never Jerrys fault though, remember that-always the players...

• Richmond Jazz Fan
    Dec. 23, 2009 10:59 p.m.

Very sorry to see Eric get traded to the Thunder, although the business reasons are understandable. Best of luck to this great young player in what I hope is a long NBA career. (Who knows, we've seen some players find there way back to the Jazz before!)

• B.F.
    Dec. 23, 2009 10:43 p.m.

I think Sloan will have Brevin 2Knight back!

• shocked...
    Dec. 23, 2009 10:40 p.m.

Not a smart move, Jazz. Ughhh....

• Hollinger
    Dec. 23, 2009 9:58 p.m.

John Hollinger: "Utah effectively donated Maynor to Oklahoma City because of the mind-boggling financial savings. ... The big question for Jazz fans, however, is whether this portends a trade of Carlos Boozer."

Why would the Maynor trade have anything to do with a Carlos Boozer trade? Lazy journalism. The Maynor trade will lead to the signing of a low price third point guard. But that is not as sexy as a possible Boozer trade, so Hollinger is not going to write about that. It's alllll about the ratings, not legit news.

• C-Booz
    Dec. 23, 2009 9:52 p.m.

How about Gortatt and Bass for C-Booz?

• In recovery mode...
    Dec. 23, 2009 9:50 p.m.

Show us what you got Kev. Maynor could have played here more than a decade and would likely take the starting role when Williams leaves in 2 more years. GEt rid of AK, Booze ... stock up on draft picks.