Brigham City approves bond for fiber-optic network UTOPIA

• Alexander
    Dec. 14, 2009 7:39 a.m.

I too was present at the meeting, and what I found confusing was that even before both sides were allowed to talk the mayor explained that only the people who signed up would be on the hook to pay, but yet when the against side got up they said that they didn't want everyone to have to pay. I think that there is a lot of confusion as to who is involved in the assessment. When we had the last SID it was put to a vote and if it passed then everyone would be charged, even if you didn't vote for it. I think that this is what people are thinking of: I didn't vote for it so I shouldn't have to pay for it. I think the biggest problem here is that both the city and utopia didn't do enough education about who is paying for it. I personally am very excited.

• Mary
    Dec. 12, 2009 12:24 p.m.

My mother-in-law lives in Brigham and was presented the scenario that Anonymous has stated. She was unaware of a 3000.00 per household fee. She owns 2 homes in Brigham which means 6000.00. She is not computer savvy watches some television but I promise you not 6000.00 worth. I think Brigham City is way over the top on this one. It is time to consult with a lawyer. There are alot of old people in Brigham who are on fixed incomes. They don't, can't or want this this service.

• Show Yourselves
    Dec. 11, 2009 12:37 p.m.

I would argue that most of the negative comments on this board are from the same person who is most likely an employee of the Utah Tax Payers Association, Qwest, or Comcast. The bottom line is that fiberoptic connections right to the home is the future and is necessary for us to stay competitive in the world market. Are you aware that the US is 28th in the world for true high speed fiber optic availability and connectivity? Yep, even behind countries like Slovenia. Brigham City is doing what is necessary to help make them competitive in the ever changing marketplace. This isn't only about how fast you can download Youtube videos, but mostly about jobs and economic development. You may be surprised to know that years ago, people were quite happy with their outhouses and lack of indoor plumbing and there were a lot of people who were unhappy with a lien being placed on their homes to bring water/sewer connections to their front doors. This is necessary infrastructure people, and continuing to use Qwest is just like being happy with your outhouse. Let's move into the future while the opportunity is available.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 11, 2009 11:35 a.m.

The utopia reps that came never said anything about the total bill being 3000. And the 2 month notice to have it paid or put a lien on my house was never mentioned either. They said the most you would pay is 25 a month but the more that sign up the less it will cost. And the providers that are supposed to be cheaper arent. They all charge the same as comcast or dish.. Whats the advantage again??

• Anonymous
    Dec. 11, 2009 11:30 a.m.

That's great. Grandma who never uses internet, who doesn't want internet is going to have a lien placed on her house if she can't afford internet.

America "Land of the Free".

We definitely need more Government. Yes and I'm sure that Grandma voted for it!

• BH
    Dec. 11, 2009 10:07 a.m.

Wow! $3000 per household connection fee? And I was feeling bad about a 2 yr. commitment to waive connection fees, when I connected to Utopia in Tremonton. Tremonton is in the second year of having Utopia available throughout the community. No one had to have a lien against their home to connect.

It is sad to think of Brigham City residents who have watched numerous completion promise dates come and go.

• will M
    Dec. 11, 2009 9:22 a.m.

Awesome! A payer/player scenario...if want it you can have it..Utopia PLEASE PLEASE bring Fiber to my home in SLC...Brigham City -* a bunch of lucky ducks! Great Job Mayor on having the courage to do what is needed.

• NoWay!
    Dec. 11, 2009 7:27 a.m.

$3K to connect, lien on house if I finance? Is the city council out of their collective right mind? I know who I won't be voting for in the future!

• John C
    Dec. 11, 2009 7:14 a.m.

There is a old saying that," you can't fool a fool" Brigham City has proven this false.
    The tax revenues pledged will be used to support the rest of the failure, if I lived in Brigham City I would be looking for a new mayor and council.
    You folks in Brigham City have been....had.