Did meteor hit near Dugway?

• darknessiseek
    April 13, 2010 5:02 a.m.

It supposedly landed on military grounds.

• VegasRocker
    April 12, 2010 11:06 p.m.

Anymore information on this meteorite find?

• vegasrocker(at)cox(dot)net
    April 10, 2010 9:57 a.m.

I want to join the hunt!!! I'm an amateur meteorite hunter in Las Vegas and have all the equipment needed to recover and map this find. It is very important to map the strewnfield for science and to determine where to find more stones from this fall. I can be there within one day. Please contact me!!!

• Found parts of it
    April 3, 2010 12:58 p.m.

on BLM land outside of Dugway. Definite meteor parts and they pass the magnet test. More searching going on and I'm heading back out when the weather clears up.

• mr...
    Feb. 3, 2010 7:57 p.m.

My mom saw it in Alliance, NE!!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 10, 2010 2:50 a.m.

I was leaving work that night and saw the meteor from Rifle Colorado. It was amazing. I forgot to search for stories about it until tonight at work where I found this.

• Tony
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:46 p.m.

I was out camping in Dugway that night and it was truly amazing

• Erica
    Dec. 13, 2009 2:38 p.m.

I saw it from between my shutters, it was bright enough to light up the front room (Holladay, Utah)

• keith osbahr
    Dec. 1, 2009 2:51 p.m.

i live in terra utah and that is about 8 miles out of dugway i was sitting by my fire place inside my trailer at 12:07am i was talking to my girlfriend and i looked out the window behind her and i saw the flash but their was something different about my storie
    i didn't just see the flash i saw a red streak about 20ft above my trailer it looked like one of my power lines burnt up but i go outside and their was no power line were i seen the red streak so i figure it landed about 100yd outside or within my property my property just an estimation.

• Roy
    Nov. 20, 2009 8:13 a.m.

I live in Cortez Colorado. Just happened to step outside and saw the whole thing. Thought it was a transformer. There has to be fragments. Did anyone hear a sonic boom? Does it have to be a certain size for that to happen?

• Socal Saint
    Nov. 19, 2009 11:50 p.m.

I recall in 1972 there was fireball over the Wasatch Front (North-South Track). Just so happened a U.S. Spy Satillite happened to be overhead. I remember the news saying the object was between the size of a Refrigerator and a VW and a skipped back into space. Had it landed in Temple Square there would be no more downtown SLC.

Anybody remember the particulars of that event? SCS

• JanSan
    Nov. 19, 2009 10:19 p.m.

This may be a stupid question - but
    Why couldn't the military at Dugway go and look for it or give their scientist and OK to go look for it out there?

• Zaphod
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:23 p.m.

Granite Peak is well within Dugway Proving Ground, and more than 20 miles from the Deep Creek Mountains.
    Granite Peak has numerous military ranges around it that are used nearly every day, including the weekends.
    Try sneaking onto Dugway and you'll get arrested and prosecuted at the federal level. Might as well forget looking for it on Dugway.
    And the whole area is muddy right now. Vast areas have no cell phone coverage. Get mired out there, and you could die before someone finds you.

• Granite Mountain
    Nov. 19, 2009 9:09 p.m.

Granite Mountain is smack dab in the middle of Dugway; it is not really in any range. It is a very unique geographical specimen and it is mostly forgotten about because of its inaccessibility being on Dugway Proving Grounds.

• from SE Michigan
    Nov. 19, 2009 8:32 p.m.

My father experienced one here in Michigan about 35 years ago. He excitedly said the night become as day for several seconds. He heard no sonic boom though.

• GL
    Nov. 19, 2009 8:19 p.m.

I was on I-215 when it happened leaving work,it definitly some of the fragements I could plainly see broke up and landed between the airport and 21st So. and it looked like around 7200 W to 9000 W when it happened it was amazing!!!!!!

• Deep Creeks?
    Nov. 19, 2009 6:09 p.m.

Isn't Granite Peak in the Deep Creek range? A little further than 30 miles from Dugway, but in the neighborhood.

• Jack Jarman
    Nov. 19, 2009 11:18 a.m.

That would be awesome if it did land in Utah. I mean, who wouldn't want a fireball landing in their back yard?