Latino population growth adds to House seats

6 states expected to gain congressional slots due to surge in Hispanic numbers

• Brittanicus
    Nov. 18, 2009 4:20 p.m.

Adjudicating the 20 to 30 million illegal immigrants in the Decennial Census is a travesty of our laws. It makes them de-facto legitimate, which is a blemish on US citizenship and those who jumped federal obstacles to come here legally. Not only will it serve small states of fed dollars, instead give 5-6 billion dollars to states with illegal--SANCTUARY--policies. It will also give states with massive illegal populations, more representation in Washington?

Those who believe in America’s survival, without OVERPOPULATION as stated by the US Census bureau better read facts, not the lies at NUMBERSUSA. Those who want details of corruption in WASHINGTON and state government go to JUDICIAL WATCH. Overpopulation, traffic hell should go to CAPSWEB. Other sites of interest on Immigration enforcement is ALIPAC and AMERICAN PATROL. We the people have the ultimate power to throw out anti-sovereignty incumbent politicians. Call and command these do-nothings to--STOP--this facade at 202-224-3121.

• Kathleen
    Nov. 18, 2009 3:45 p.m.

Any elected official who allows illegal aliens to be included in the census should be charged with aiding and abetting and dereliction of duty.

Louis Gutierrez and Robert Menendez, along with others in the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, have proven that they could care less about their sworn oath or our laws and care only about, to quote Gutierrez, "my people."

• Population Expansion
    Nov. 18, 2009 2:29 p.m.

This DesNews article proudly states, \"the study shows Latinos produced 51 percent of the population growth in the nation since 2000.\" So, how is urban sprawl, over utilization of resources and over population working for us? I don\'t think this is something to brag about. \r\n\r\nWithout this 51% increase perhaps we could have stabilized growth and and avoided the taxpayer expense of providing schools, police, fire and other costs. \r\nOn the other hand the United States model of capitalism requires a rapid expansion of the population. \r\n\r\nThe U.S. population has grown by 50 percent since 1968, 41 years ago. If it grows at 50% again in 41 years the population will be over 450 million by 2050, easily on its way to a billion by the end of the century. What do I care? Few of us will be around by then. \r\n\r\nThe point is, the expanding population economic model will self-destruct, if we don\'t give up the idea of continual population growth. This will be hard but change will either be accomplished by us or it will be done to us and we lose our way of life in the U.S.

• Evets
    Nov. 18, 2009 10:41 a.m.

@Tab and To Tab:
    I too have worked closely with Hispanics and I can identify with both your experiences. Still I notice a trend....

Those who come into this country legally seem more likely to reflect what Tab sees. They are inherently more honest and reflect our values. They appreciate the opportunity to be US citizen.

Those that come in illegally tend to be dishonest, cheat on their spouses (if they have one), find no problem breaking various laws. I know "generalization but I have seen this over and over.

I attribute this not to nationality or race but to their attitudes before coming here and their motivation to come here.

Just two examples:

The most honest, hard working, and intelligent Admin Assistant I ever has work for me was a legal immigrant from Mexico. I would trust her with anything.

I have worked with or around others that were illegal immigrants and because of their actions I would not trust them with even the most basic tasks.

A large number of my most trusted and loved friends are immigrants. They are are from many countries but they are all legal and we share many of the same values.

• 4th Seat
    Nov. 18, 2009 8:40 a.m.

I'd willingly give up the 4th House seat if we could deport all the illegals back to where-ever they originated. We could save a fortune in social services, education, healthcare and law enforcement if we deported all illegals. We could "take back" our state.

• Plain And Simple
    Nov. 18, 2009 8:15 a.m.

I have worked closely with Latinos over several decades. Of the thousand or so I've known, very few desire to assimilate into American culture, and that is especially true with illegals. Many of them have been here for two decades or more and can barely speak just a few words of broken english. Additionally, they have little loyalty to America and it's ideals, and cling to the culture and mind set of their homelands bringing with them the corruption and dishonesty that is inherent there. This is in drastic difference to the Irish, Germans, and peoples from other lands who cherish the land of the free and home of the brave.

• Bill
    Nov. 18, 2009 7:50 a.m.

Those States will no longer be republican if illegal aliens continue to invade our country.

• To Tab:
    Nov. 18, 2009 7:15 a.m.

Interestly enough my experience has been the exact opposite. I am a community professional and in my professional capacity I find that illegals as well as a majority oflegal Hispanics I encounter in my work, have a distinct lack of committment to integrating into American society, are out for all the free benefits they can get, often lying to obtain them. They are committed to family but only their own, here and in their country of origin, not the greater Utah community family. They participate in community activities if they will get something free. They are breaking the law at an alarming rate and there is a culture of violence and disdain for America among the younger generation.

Tab, just are you are generalizing, I am too but this has been my experience. I also find that those of Mexican descent are much more likely to be illegal than those from other South American countries.

Personally I welcome all legal immigrants who have shown a committment to law and to the USA but would like to see all illegals deported and told to get in line to come legally.

• I find it ironic
    Nov. 18, 2009 6:50 a.m.

that Mr. Vargas would bring up the constitution

"For anybody to suggest that Latino immigrants revert to declaring themselves as 0 percent of a person under our Constitution, to me, is irresponsible and immoral."

The bill targets illegal aliens, not latinos. They break the law but not entering legally. If they constitution, and by extension laws in general, were a priority they wouldn't be here.

• Tab L. Uno
    Nov. 18, 2009 12:07 a.m.

Of the Hispanics I've met with, I have discovered in most instances that they have brought along their culture which includes:

respect for parents and authority among most youth.
    a closer extended family network with families members supporting each other.
    a commitment and follow through on paying their debts, fines, and fees.
    a good attendance at meetings where they are expected to show up.
    a strong belief and participation in community activities and church.

If these are qualities that American should be without then perhaps, some Americans might be better moving out of the Country to get away from these abhorrent cultural traditions. Some people would say that these values are just what America does need now during these times of unrest and turmoil.

• stan
    Nov. 17, 2009 5:58 p.m.

Who cares if the mexicans can vote. They have brang the SWINE FLU to Utah. DRUGS and All the Crime. We need to vote for the man in the government who is going to get ridd of these people.