'Love story' of young crash victim finally ends

• Tara
    Nov. 12, 2009 7:36 p.m.

My sympathies to the Schmanski family. Shortly after Tori's accident my daughter and I attended the "Dance Attack" convention. We were touched by Tori's story (bought a "Pray for Tori" bracelet - which my daughter still has. We have thought of her, and her family many times over the years. As sad as the news was to hear of her passing, it is a sweet thought to imagine her dancing in the heavens. Our prayers are with you.

• bartonjabber
    Nov. 11, 2009 7:00 p.m.

As a mother of a daughter who sustained a traumatic brain injury as the result of a car accident I can certainly understand the aching of love and the weariness of work. I feel for this family. They are an example of great service and unconditional love. Our family did not have have to endure as much as they have... and every time I read of others' trials.... I am even more thankful for my own.
    I pray that God will send them the comfort they so deserve!

• Yrag Notyalc
    Nov. 11, 2009 5:58 p.m.

To: "I too am sorry" 1:46: Perhaps you have not noticed, but in this culture most people subscribe to the belief that "Where there is life, there is hope." And in this case hope to resume life was lost with Tori's final breath. But for them HOPE is NOT lost in seeing, and being with Tori again. Hat's off to all parents and family members who find themselves in similar situations.

• andrea
    Nov. 11, 2009 3:47 p.m.

Tori was not in a vegetative state. Go on her website and read through the four years of progress. Tori could breathe on her own. Tori could chew and swallow soft food on her own. She could answer yes or no questions with her hands and eyes. She could see and she could focus her eyes. She could show emotion such as crying and a semblance of a smile. Her parents did everything they could for her. They treated her with respect and dignity.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 11, 2009 3:21 p.m.

My sincere condolences to the entire Schmanski family. IMO, these loving parents are a shining example of selfless love and devotion. Their (and their family's) sacrifices have not gone unnoticed. I am happy that they have assurance that they will be reunited with Tori one day and find her whole and vibrant once again. I am sure that Tori will express to them her gratitude for their unselfish love and care of her in her time of need. What a reunion that will be!

God bless.

• re: 1:46
    Nov. 11, 2009 2:07 p.m.

what do you mean, "what good could have been done with that money instead.." if she were my child i would fight with her and for her no matter what the cost. this isnt about a checkbook, it is a life and they loved her just as a parent should. they are what people are supposed to be - selfless.

• I too am sorry
    Nov. 11, 2009 1:46 p.m.

for this girl and her family. Unfortunately she was not responsive for several years. Just think of the costs incurred to keep her in that state for so long. Just think what good could have been done with that money instead. I hope she was an organ donor...

• lori
    Nov. 11, 2009 1:11 p.m.

i also took care of my angel daughter jeanine johnson for over two years.. i am so proud of toris family for the care they gave tori..it is heart breaking for a parent when they can not heal their child....my heart goes out to you..my you find peace in your heart..be proud...our angels are dancing...fly high sweet tori...love always lori and angel jeanine...

• re: unknown
    Nov. 11, 2009 11:14 a.m.

Antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection. Antibiotics treat a bacterial infection.

• Rob
    Nov. 11, 2009 10:14 a.m.

I totally agree with sick people going to church. We would go to church healthy on Sunday and during the week battle illnesses just to repeat it the next week. We had one son get pneumonia twice with hospitilization and many many Drs. visits because people would not stay home when they are sick. Finally when I told one Mom that it would be best to have her kids stay home when they are sick she said it sounds like you are stressed out. Really!
    It's okay to stay home, sleep and take it easy. We don't know what someone else is going through.
    I hope you can feel all the love and support and prayers that people are sending you. Tori is a beautiful young woman and your family, friends and community should know they really made such a difference.

• Tori
    Nov. 11, 2009 10:02 a.m.

What an absolutely beautiful girl and what wonderful parents. I was very touched by this story, it really puts in to perspective what is truely important in life and what is just small stuff. My prayers are with this precious family and their daughter.

• K
    Nov. 11, 2009 9:49 a.m.

I see where you're coming from, MoJules...but sometimes it's not an option to stay home when all you have is a cough. Or maybe just allergies, etc. At least the woman was using a tissue. I've seen servers in restaurants cough without even covering their mouths. What can you do?

I remember reading about Tory and her family a couple years ago, and marveling at what great lengths they went to to keep her alive.
    Our prayers for them.

• I too had not heard of this
    Nov. 11, 2009 9:48 a.m.

story until this article. It would have been nice to have had follow up articles after her accident. I typically do not read accident articles, but this would have been one for which we could have sent our financial support, had we known.

• TO: Unknown
    Nov. 11, 2009 9:46 a.m.

Your caring is evident, She is a beautiful girl. You may want to know that antibiotics do not treat viruses. It's the reason doctors don't give us antibiotics for every sore throat anymore. I know they test my kids for strep or something that antibiotics do help. If we have a virus we just wait it out.

• MoJules
    Nov. 11, 2009 9:26 a.m.

What a beautiful story and a beautiful girl. I hope that the family does not mind me using this place to voice some thoughts about contagious illnesses. My husband has a disease that has affected his lungs, he has 60% lung capacity. If he is in contact with something, like Tori, he may not be able to fight it off like many of us can. This last Sunday, I just cringed in church as I heard constant coughing and a gal sitting a few feet from my husband was sneezing and had a red nose and was coughing in her tissue. All through church I kept thinking, I hope he doesn't pick up something from church. He has, now I hope that it won't cause to much damage. He had the one flu shot, has had the pnomonia shot, but not the H1N1. So people, stay home if you are sick.

• MN Doug
    Nov. 11, 2009 7:23 a.m.

I was unfamiliar with Tori's story until this article. This story touched me deeply. Thank goodness for good supportive families.

• Angel parents
    Nov. 11, 2009 7:07 a.m.

Caring for a disabled person or even elderly person is the hardest challenge on earth. That these parents did that, and even went above and beyond by taking her to China, makes them angels. When we are judged on the other side, those who cared for the most needy, will be the most revered.

• unknown
    Nov. 11, 2009 1:14 a.m.

What a great battle she had. Could her infection have been treated with antibiotics? I know it is a tough decision that no one wants to have to make. Perhaps it was simply her time to go.