Election 2009: Curtis wins Provo mayor race; incumbents tossed in some other races

Utah's first black woman mayor elected

• Good Luck
    Nov. 6, 2009 5:44 p.m.

Good luck Mr. Curtis, your work is cut out for you but you are up to the task. Please start cleaning house soon and start at the top of each department.

• Elsie McClellan
    Nov. 6, 2009 1:20 p.m.

I hope you will do something about not allowing HOA's to be built in our City. They are a nightmare to live in. Most of the Board can not handle their own finances let alone part of ours. This seems to me to be taking HOME OWNERSHIP out of the hands of the people who live in them and we pay taxes to the city for roads and have to pay for the roads in our HOA's and the people of the city use them also. HOA's are a nightmare, as I repeated before.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:45 p.m.

Anyone who thinks John Curtis is a Democrat or has Democrat ideals does not know John Curtis. If you don't believe me contact him directly on his cell phone. He is willing to answer anyone's questions.

• eric mausser
    Nov. 4, 2009 1:17 p.m.

As a former Provo City Department Director for 28 years, I wanted to take a quick moment to respond to the comment made about "cleaning house" of existing department directors. I know all of them very well and the City is very fortunate to have such caring, dedicated professionals. I also know that many citizens misunderstand their role. It is their role to give their best advice and counsel to elected officials and, after the elected official makes the decision, to implement it to the best of their ability regardless of whether they think it should be handled another way. I know they will give their best efforts and advice to a new Mayor, and I hope he will take time to get know their outstanding talents.

Eric Mausser
    HR Manager
    City of Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

• JP
    Nov. 4, 2009 11:40 a.m.

Congratulations on your win Mr. Curtis. I didn't vote for you, but I will support you as you work towards your goals. Please keep in mind that if you make no progress and don't keep your promises, you will be replaced next election and I will do my part to make sure that happens.

• What's wrong with Provo?
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:26 a.m.

I can tell you a thing or two about Provo east-side snobs without compassion, who would throw out needy tenants and even accept foreclosure to protect their "zoning" and property values. Too bad that if the home goes into foreclosure their values will be lost. Someone in Provo does need to open their eyes to what their out-dated zoning is doing and how desperate times are not considered. It's all about the almighty and selfish dollar.

• Angie Fischer
    Nov. 4, 2009 10:08 a.m.

Congrats & Thank you! Provo is ready for change!

• Yeah, Real Estate agents WIN!
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:11 a.m.

Now this former DEMOCRAT will bring down Utah county. Great!

Now that the real estates agent have him in their back pocket, we'll see what happens.

Sad day for Provo.

• Clean House?
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:11 a.m.

Exactly which departments heads need to be cleaned up? What corruption needs to be cleaned up? What’s wrong with Provo?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:09 a.m.

Nobody called this a mandate. People in provo only want to be perceived as having a higher ethics standpoint. It all sounds and looks like politics as usual so why do so much belly-aching. HORNBERGER!!!!

• CougarKeith
    Nov. 4, 2009 9:03 a.m.

Good for the winner! TOUGH ON GANGS!!! That needs to be the focus EVERYWHERE!!! GET RID OF GANGS, PROMOTE YOUTH ACTIVITIES, DRUG PROBLEMS WITH YOUTH DISAPEAR FOR THE MOST PART!!! Time, and Things to do for ALL kids will promote a healthy future for ANY CITY! Low Taxes attract business and spending and shopping in business districts! All this equals one thing, MORE REVENUE!!! More revenue equals more money to spend on what you not only need, but what is wanted to attract MORE business, more GOOD residents, QUALITY PEOPLE which equals "GROWTH"!!! When will somebody other than this guy figure it out, it is very simple really, I PROMISE IT IS!!!

• Sandy
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:55 a.m.

I voted for you, John, and I'm optimistic that we can move past the entrenched ideas and people of the past to a new path towards a better future for EVERYONE in Utah. I trust you when you say you are looking out for all areas and citizens of this city. In you I saw a candidate who truly seems like a uniter, a fresh perspective, and a listener with a considered opinion and vision. I'm looking forward to putting our time and money into things that matter and that will work rather than questionable and unneccesary projects and mandates. I believe in you and entrust you with our mutual dreams for our city. I have to add that I was impressed with your campaign worker in my area--Kameron. He worked tirelessly for you, as did many others who believed in you. Best of luck!

• Uphold the Constitution
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:45 a.m.

As one law-abiding citizen who has suffered constant harrassment by Provo's government and its Machiavellian neighborhood council chairs for far too long now, I am thrilled at the change and hopeful that the city will become serious about democracy and upholding the Constitution of the United States. That constitution guarantees everyone the right to live in their home without spying and bullying from big government. May the new council and administration repeal some of the stifling and petty laws that discriminate against BYU students, renters, and landlords.

• Curtis=Good ol Boys of Provo
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:40 a.m.

The good ol boys win again. Curtis, backed by Curt Bramble, Valentine, Keith Grover...the list goes on and on. Can Provo not get over this. Oh, and to those "property rights" people. Say goodbye to what little is left of your home value. I would say we see a drop in home value 20+ thousand per home. I can't believe people want more rentals. It is already at 57%. Provo will be the next Ogden city.

• Craig
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:29 a.m.

A contentious election which drew a mere 18% of the electorate? The winner got a little over half the votes meaning that about 10% of registered voters cast their ballots for him. Hardly a mandate. It sounds like most people in Provo just didn't care. Does that say something about the city of Provo or about people's attitude towards government in general?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:08 a.m.

I thought people in Utah county were of higher morals and ethics. From the posts, this doesn't seem to be the case.

• DBNAE
    Nov. 4, 2009 8:07 a.m.

John, Congratulations, Great Job on winning the election. I look forward to your administration.

• Bob Kirk
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:36 a.m.

A great day for property rights in Provo. So tired of rancor in my tree street neighborhood from some brothers and sisters who only vision goverment as "BIG BROTHER". Elated, excited and incredibly happy to think finally there could be a majority who want HEALING (Rick Healey), UNITY (John Curtis campaign slogan "safety, prosperity, unity) and a loyal american, military reserve officer, who happens to be a woman with an obvious latin last name. Go Laura Cabanilla you do represent the majority.

• Go Curtis - from Sherwood Hills
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:29 a.m.

Hey John- good work last night in the race. Your cool demeanor shined in the last couple weeks especially with the silly things that were coming at you from the other side. The Daily Herald debate cinched it for me. Good work here.

• Disgusting
    Nov. 4, 2009 7:29 a.m.

Those wounds he talks about were deliberately inflicted by Curtis and the those behind the campaigns of the three newly elected council members. They mislead, twisted, and smeared until the average voter didn't know what to believe. Most stayed home.

The dirty politics were shown to be effective. Will Provo ever have a clean race again?

The special interests, which helped the winners outspend their opponents more than 3 to 1 on average, can expect a handsome return on investment.

• provo constitutionalist
    Nov. 4, 2009 6:12 a.m.

Congratulations Mr. Curtis. Now's your chance to "heal" a city. The difference between SLC Mayor Rocky Anderson & Mayor Becker should be your model. It was not the form of government, but personalities that created the discord. Transparency in government will allow a healthy tension between the two branches, and give the citizens a chance to scrutinize what their govt is doing. There's a reason each branch has its own staff on the state and national level, and the same reason stands for separate staffing at our city level. Neither branch should be a rubber stamp body for the other branch and each should have the opportunity to research and arrive at its own conclusion. And someone still has to do the work, whether its your staff or the council's staff. Good luck and best wishes for a new provo. Rely on transparency and the constitution and you'll be fine.

• Good Luck
    Nov. 4, 2009 5:40 a.m.

Good luck to mayor-elect Curtis. You have a difficult challenge ahead cleaning up 12 years of mismanagement and millions of millions of dollars of wasteful spending. It is now time to start the clean up by starting at the top of several departments where the mismanagement, failed leadership and lack of vision of mirrored the current administration. Good leaders do not let themselves get bullied or coerced by bad leaders. Good leaders stand up for what is right and point out that which is wrong. They do the right thing. This is a void that must be filled in Provo because these types of leaders don't deserve the trust they have been given if they are so easy to sell out.

• Clean House
    Nov. 4, 2009 4:43 a.m.

It is now time to clean house, starting at the top of each department.

• Ty Detmer
    Nov. 4, 2009 2:59 a.m.

John ran a clean campaign and worked really hard to get this. He has succeded in everything he's ever touched. Mayor will be no different. Congratulations JOHN CURTIS!

• Cynthia Gaddis
    Nov. 4, 2009 12:38 a.m.

Yes! I hope promises are kept about the west-side. It is time to oust some of the old timers who were partisan to their own agendas. Don't let me down folks.

• Provo results
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:20 p.m.

Are a good indication of what residents think of the job done by city leaders in recent years. We want new blood.

• Curtis fan for 10 years!
    Nov. 3, 2009 11:04 p.m.

Yeah!!! I am so happy about this win for John Curtis. We are in need of a change in Provo. I met John Curtis through my Husband 10 years ago. I was impressed then and when we hosted a neighborhood meeting with John I became even more impressed! I am excited for the changes! Way to go John!

• Congratulations John
    Nov. 3, 2009 10:51 p.m.

You beat the machine in Utah County...
    Now what are you gonna do???