Nothing too convincing in this Jazz win over Clippers

• Rich
    Nov. 2, 2009 8:24 a.m.

Here's what I see this year: Much improved defensive effort, much more willingness to share the ball, improvement in almost every player, but also a tendency to play too much individual offense when things get tight. So it was wonderful to see the team come together and cooperate on both ends of the court in the second half.

I've watched all the Clipper games this year, and I see in them a much improved team but one that still tends to take bad shots and play too much one on one in the fourth quarter. Baron Davis is a liability for them in much the same way that Boozer is often a liability for the Jazz.

The lesson to be learned? Play team ball, ESPECIALLY when things get tight.

• BN
    Nov. 1, 2009 3:02 p.m.

My bet is on Greg trying to change direction from his dad's days. He bravely criticized Booz, something that his dad wouldn't do. Now, I wouldn't be too surprised if he hires somebody to replace Sloan. The Jazz is stuck in 20th century. Time to move on.

• Idaho Jazz Fan
    Oct. 31, 2009 11:19 p.m.

Why won't Boozer power the ball to the basket? Instead,he likes to float the ball to the basket which usually gets blocked or rolls off the rim. Kofus has had several power dunks making Boozer look weak. If Boozer would be more competitive and physical on defense and offense he could become one of the top power forwards in the league.

• todd to dc
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:25 p.m.

unfortunately that thinking is why Greg does what he does, how about having both?

At least the Wizards have one thing on us only but important 1 ring (Bullets)

• DC Hilton
    Oct. 31, 2009 2:26 p.m.

I always thought Jazz fans were a special breed of throw-backs to a by-gone era of team basketball and substance over style. It's surprising to me to read that many people want to"buy" a championship. I like the Jazz because of their culture, which begins and ends with Sloan. Yes winning a championship would be nice. And seeing Okur and Boozer play defense would be just as nice. But I'll trade you my home team, The Washington Wizards, any time for your Jazz. I'd be honored to have them as my home town team.

• Hollywood
    Oct. 31, 2009 1:28 p.m.

@Theeyepatch
    Boozer can't do it all by himself?
    Yep, I agree. When you shoot 3-14 and 9-22, you definitely need some extra help if the team is going to win.

I can only hope some team will be desperate enough to trade for Carlos. Get a good SF/SG for him, then move AK to the bench. The Jazz need some outside shooting. You can't play Brewer and AK together - just too easy to pack the lane and let those two fire up bricks from 12-15 feet.

• Notice Okur got hurt
    Oct. 31, 2009 1:18 p.m.

TRYING to play defense. At least he tried. Boozer is very selective about trying. He does not want to get hurt. His defense will be very selective this year.

Someone needs to teach the Jazz the right way to play defense.

I noticed that LA got killed at home with Artest but without Gasol. Kobi also got mugged when going to the hoop. Artest was sitting on the bench with fouls. So much for Artest has Kobi's back.

Gasol makes them champions. Without him they are a 5th or worse seed.

Quality and depth in the bigs (tall bigs) not Kobi make LA champions.

Utah should take note of that. They need a really good big or Fez or Koufos will have to become great.

• Seatle would love to have
    Oct. 31, 2009 1:05 p.m.

the Jazz but they would not support them.

Greg's biggest problem is with his own management team (probably Larry) who trapped him into a situation where he is way over the cap in a recession that is hurting all of the NBA not just Utah.

Except for the Millsap contract the Jazz management appear to realize that they should be able to get better players for less than they are paying during the next couple of years.

Okur improved his game and only got a 2 year extension so that was not too bad of move. Besides replacing both Okur and Boozer at the same time is very risky if you intend to keep Sloan. It is better to upgrade Boozer and have Millsap as insurance. Besides Sloan may turn Millsap into a 3/4.

I am willing to give the Jazz some time to make player moves. I would much rather get the right players at the right price than rush into mistakes.

However, they have to make the moves that will improve the team. No more continuity kool aid.

Defense, shooting wings and a real PF. If that does not work then replace Sloan.

• Sneaky Jimmy
    Oct. 31, 2009 12:55 p.m.

Greg threw out the caveat that the team will remain as long as there is support. So if they only sell 98% of the tickets he can sell the team. Seattle is wide open, San Jose and Anaheim have unused arenas. I think he would like to unload the team. It was his dad's hobby.

• todd from santa ana
    Oct. 31, 2009 11:25 a.m.

how did Greg threaten or hint at leaving> By staging "meet the fans with the Millers"

Where would he go with more support. I would like a team in Anaheim not I could never ever want to steal a franchise such as the Jazz. Charlotte maybe, Sacramento maybe

• todd on rock
    Oct. 31, 2009 11:18 a.m.

No one better in this business. He can run for any public office and i would be his campaign manager

• shabaazx
    Oct. 31, 2009 11:12 a.m.

you people have to be kidding me!!! Sloan is probably the best coach in the NBA he has won over and over again with out having the best superstars in the nba. the players we have are young we have one of the youngest teams in the nba and still make the playoffs every year. maybe i'm just old fashioned but he is the last coach that makes basketball a team sport. the day he retires will be a sad day for the nba

• Re: HELP! | 2:57 a.m.
    Oct. 31, 2009 11:05 a.m.

I'll be happy to take your tickets off your hands dude. Sloan is THE MAN!

• jcrew
    Oct. 31, 2009 10:49 a.m.

The reason we allow lay-ups is Carlos "Oh, is that my guy?" Boozer. Also, WHY DID WE EXTEND SLOAN? I'm sure any other Jazz fan can sympathize with Jerry Sloan basketball: Playing well, then giving up the lead, than having to battle back with what should have been a comfortable win."

• Nevada Fan
    Oct. 31, 2009 10:38 a.m.

I have backed this team for a very long time, but it has not gotten better. It's the same team that had the huge melt down last year. It would fine if management had not put us over the cap to do it. Just brilliant, but the one bright spot has been Fes, and guess what hardly cost anything. How long will be before DWILL says c ya?

• fossil
    Oct. 31, 2009 9:57 a.m.

we loved larry miller but hope greg wasn't giving us a threat last night to keep the stands full or the jazz go.

• fossil
    Oct. 31, 2009 9:51 a.m.

also keeping sloan is bad i used to be a fan of brewer and i understand he refused a nice contract so he is another greedy so called player who can only dunk. greedy greedy. its sicking.

• Rock...
    Oct. 31, 2009 9:12 a.m.

why don't you go to work for the Trib so we won't have to read your crap anymore.

• @JazzHater72
    Oct. 31, 2009 9:02 a.m.

You obviously hate the English language too, fowl vs. foul.

• Revolt, Boycott
    Oct. 31, 2009 8:12 a.m.

Don't buy Jazz tickets. Maybe then, the Millers will understand how Jazz fans feel about where they are taking us.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:50 a.m.

hey wiseman without anybrain cell Jackson ya kidding me. He is bigger cancer than Looser.

• Magna Ute
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:26 a.m.

Fesenko is a Beast! If only he will grow up and PRACTICE and PLAY like a Man instead of a 13 year old! He should be a Super Star. It makes me want to pull my hair out. He has all the physical gifts to be that defensive beast in the middle that we so desperately need. I hope the Jazz don't give up on him. I hope they push him to his breaking point and see what he has inside.

• THEeyepatch
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:24 a.m.

*his- sorry I type while watching Sportscenter and don't pay attention to what I'm typing

• THEeyepatch
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:22 a.m.

Nobody wants to see the Jazz succeed more than me, but It's hard to watch them on the road. They need to change the game plan on the road. We need a power center, someone that can bring in some rebounds, Boozer cannot do it all by himself, maybe bring in Milsap and go with two power forwards on the road. Okur is out till Monday, but he's not a true center anyway. I suggest getting a big man in the next draft or on the free agent market. "BIG BABY" might be an option from the Celtics, they are disgruntled with him and think they might want to move him. This a hopefull request, but I know Jerry doesn't want anyone that might give the Jazz a true center, he's history shows he doesn't like drama, and we all know he's style of coach has reaped reward like........ well nevermind. Time for a change.

• dodo-doo-doo
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:09 a.m.

This is the most sorry-lame bunch of no-defense Jazz players in years. And we're keeping them intact. Why?

Did anyone notice that this core group is the same bunch that melted down last year. This group, except for a few players, has no height, no heart, no toughness and most importantly, no hope of making it past the first round of the playoffs IF they make it there. Make changes now! Dump boozer and fire sloan for starters.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 31, 2009 6:29 a.m.

If we are going to pay luxery tax then get the best players in the NBA, go all out like the lakers do and buy a championship, we deserve one more then anyone.

• HELP!
    Oct. 31, 2009 2:57 a.m.

Would someone with deep pockets buy the Jazz from the Millers.

I don't know how much longer I can hold on supporting the Jazz. It's the same old same old with Sloan and nothing to show for it.

Memo to the Millers: It's Fans like me who buy tickets. For 29 years I have been a Jazz fan, through both good and bad times, but I'm totally sick of Sloan.

I won't buy another ticket!

• JazzHater72
    Oct. 31, 2009 2:19 a.m.

So what... Who cares.... You will be crying Fowl come April Time when they LOSE in the 1st Round!!!

• wiseheart
    Oct. 31, 2009 1:16 a.m.

We still need a thug (enforcer) Center w/length to share time with Memo, and play defense against the Lakers, and preferably two (2) wing thugs.
    Trade AK47 and Harprings contract for Capt. Jack, Turiaf, & Biendrins and save a few million, and Nellie vomits Stephen and recives his man/crush, AK.
    (Isn't fiction wonderful? We can make up anything.)